Initial impressions of the Tokyo Marui HK417

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh Arnie you git ! I'd just about persuaded my self I didn't need one !

Last i heard Obama was alive and well 

Well Fox did actually put "US Navy SEALs kill Obama" up on their ticker tape when the news broke. Not sure if wishful thinking on behalf of the crew...   But I thought it was a 416 that was used in

Posted Images

Saw this in the combat south shop and fell in love- same as my dad. Whopping pricetag though; I skimmed a review on it in AI mag and it said something about rare earth metals..

Might be pricy but Armex'x VFC G28 is a few hundred more and doesn't even recoil.

Wow - Is that vfc who make ak's? Ill check that out - I like lookijg at things I cant afford. I think with any bleedong edge tech itll trickle down to mid end guns- then the inevitable chinese clones which seem to improve regularly.

I just dont get dropping almost a grand on an aeg, never will-and im thinking of systema here mostly- I mean, its a smooth bore gun which fires bbs a fith of a gram- its gonna be good but its limited in range to say the least -and an 800 kwid aeg isn't more competitive than a 200 kwid one imho.

Saying that though I saw one of those tm hi cycles in action ajd itsxlike *suitcase*! Rof must be in 4 figures and sounds like an mg34. I played the woodlamd combat south gamextoday, and found a perfect elevated spot on a tower- 360 view. Id say three of those things on there would juat shred the invadersxmaxim style. Forcemultiplier to put it lightly.

Just an FYI, you could install he sub $20 Gate Pico SSR3 mosfet in the gun and situate it towards the back. It fits well and will not require modifications save for rewiring the gun for it. those Prometheus Element Cord wiring is pretty awesome. It's really the only wire that should be used for these things.

My findings so far.

After having my 417 out in the field 4 times now over the last two months. The thing is just a BEAST!!

I have noticed a few small things that i either didn't think about before i purchased, or wasn't expecting:

1. The stock (inside) is huge. (Compared to my mates 416). I converted to lipo and run x2 1450 7.4v bats in parallel. Lasts all day without issue.
  2. 290 fps is not an issue in terms of range (good old TM magic hop). But i do find with .25s that at around 60m that the bbs have lost so much velocity that sometimes they are not felt by the player. Considering a spring upgrade to counter this. But OTB performance you just can't beat
  3. I have had 3 mid-caps jam on me now. Follower gets stuck and takes an un-jamming rod rammed in to clear it. Thought i was overloading them, but doesn't seem to be the case. So I’m hoping this is just dirt...
  4. Kick and trigger response i find fantastic. Sharp, responsive and feels a lot snappier and punchy then my mates 416 recoil shock. It's a nicer feeling imo.
  5. Still can't find a sling mount adapter for the buffer tube... as i don't trust the sling mounts on the ABS stock
  6. Wasn't expecting the inner barrel to only be 300mm long! It's tiny in comparison to the outer barrel length. But with a ported cylinder you can't just switch to a longer barrel without switching some internals out. Not that accuracy seems to be any real issue... just wasn't expecting a CQBR length barrel.
  7. Mag pouches!!!! I refused to pay the stupid price of the warrior single 417 DA pouches for all 6 mids (although i have got two to try out on my belt setup). So followed the "build your own taco" mod that's floating around for the other 4 and mdded some single open mag pouches and they can fit the giant 417 mags (all working really well... if not a litle tight). But i didn't consider the extra mag pouches in my initial costing (my credit card LOVES me). Sr25, AK mag pouches etc... they don't even come close to fitting inside.
  8. The fire selector doesn't seem to 'snap' into place. It's more of a smooth plastic feeling. Maybe it's just my rifle... (not that it has ever caused me any issues - just an observation). But doesn't feel like i was expecting it to.

It's long, heavy, the externals (imo) are on par with anything VFC produce, internals are TM (enough said) and the mags looks sweeeeeeeeet :D (i like big mags).

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I fired mine in "anger" this weekend it truly is an awesome gun! Has anyone tried just putting a new non ported cylinder and a longer barrel? I wonder if this would affect the reliability and how much of an FPS increase this would give me? I wish those big old mags were 120 caps rather than the 70 other than that I love my 417!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

It`s a bit annoying. TM obviously has not learned anything from the *suitcasey* lock rings they put on the M4s.

Mistake repeated on the 417s. The lock rings on both my 417s have come loose. And that`s before they`ve been taken to a playing field.

On a more positive note. The range you get with this thing is insane. M130 spring (around 400fps) and r-hop. The bbs fly as far as my eyes

can keep track of them. And we´re talking 0,30s here. I probably will have to change for something even heavier.

• 7 months later...

By lock rings do you mean the castle nut? Because I've definitely run into an issue where the sheer weight of the gun pulls laterally on the sling loop on the stock (security of the loop itself isn't an issue, btw) and causes the castle nut to loosen (and the stock to rotate by 10-20 degrees). This is very annoying, and super concerning at first. However, I first discovered the issue on day one of a 50-hour op (the first serious test I gave it and first time I really used a sling much) and had no choice but to live with it until the end of the op... and nothing worse ensued. It's not ideal by any stretch, but it didn't worsen beyond that or lead to the whole buffer tube waggling off or anything like that. Even with a correct 417 tool, however, I simply can't correct this defect. It will always get looser if used enough.

More in the spirit of the thread, a few other impressions on mine now that I've had it a few months and fielded it 3 or 4 times.

1. Yes, the stock accuracy is pretty good, but I too have the problem where at longer ranges (where I want to be!) players are sometimes not feeling hits. Also, in a shootout situation, enemy BBs are reaching me faster than I can reach them. The stock velocity shots are pretty easy to dodge.

2. The recoil is wonderful. I will probably convert mine to semi-auto only, but I will sure miss the feel this thing puts out doing a burst. As good or better than most GBBs I've fired! The sound also makes people's ears perk up (which not everyone wants from an airsoft gun but personally I'd like all my guns to be as loud as possible, all the time.)

3. I too had one of my mags stop feeding. Turned out to be dirt/a rock in there. However, these mags are the EASIEST ones I have ever encountered to disassemble and reassemble. I took apart a Magpul PTS mag once and almost gave up on life. These are a quick few minutes of work, problem solved, move on!  (only thing is if you're not VERY slow and careful you will end up ruining the "fake bullets" sticker inside, oops). Also, the switch to lock these into 30-round mode is in there and easy enough to toggle without doing a complete disassembly.

4. Magazine capacity as mentioned is a bit low, but then again I got this gun because it fits my play style (which is to take not very many shots at all most of the time). I run with 5 mags and that's been fine, although occasionally slightly stressful.

5. The mod to normal deans wiring is easy enough, but I still don't care for that particular "feature" of these guns at all.

6. Information is pretty scarce about these things, I guess because these things are pretty scarce. So it's a little more wild west if you need to do some work.

On the whole, though, I'm a convert to the recoil shock platform. Damn shame there isn't a TM AS VAL out there...

Afyer a quick comment about pts mags, I'd like to als ye all a question.

Magpul PTS mags are extremely handy to disassemble, no? Pull out the springs, remove screws and vlean the 2 halves and spring with a q-tip dipped in a drop of solicone oil. And ylu're saying the 417nare even easier? :o

Aweshum!

Secondly, I'd like to convert to a m4 platform again ( controls and ease of mag swaps) and I need to know this before I spend money on a 7.62 chestrig: is there a performance difference between the 416, 417, scar L and scar H? I keep on reading contradicting posts on the web.

I'd use it as a assault rigle, not converted to DMR, 350 fps max.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

I keep seeing people mentioning the recoil being awesome but with my flatmates I just don't get it, there's a little movement, is it because I've been spoiled by GBBR?

His 417 is second hand though so I couldn't tell you if the previous owner mucked round with it, plus pretty sure he's using NiMH batts with it.

I like the 417 as a rifle and have room for an AEG as all my rifles are currently GBB, plus my flatmate might sell his as he's not too fussed with it.

Afyer a quick comment about pts mags, I'd like to als ye all a question.

Magpul PTS mags are extremely handy to disassemble, no? Pull out the springs, remove screws and vlean the 2 halves and spring with a q-tip dipped in a drop of solicone oil. And ylu're saying the 417nare even easier? :o

Aweshum!

Secondly, I'd like to convert to a m4 platform again ( controls and ease of mag swaps) and I need to know this before I spend money on a 7.62 chestrig: is there a performance difference between the 416, 417, scar L and scar H? I keep on reading contradicting posts on the web.

I'd use it as a assault rigle, not converted to DMR, 350 fps max.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

They all perform largely the same. The SCAR H has the biggest recoil weight so it theoretically has the best recoil.

The SCARs are a maaaaaaaaaaaaassive pain in the *albartroth* to open up though, even to get to basic things like the hop up unit. I'd stick with the HK416.

• Like 1

I'll throw in my 2 pence worth, but be warned, mine hasn't been remotely as positive as some of the others!

The local site has one of those electronic MET targets with the timer and despite hitting each one, it still took significantly longer with the TM than with a pistol or a stock rifle (not the most scientific of tests, but I know I'm can shoot!)

The recoil was pretty much non-existent. I genuinely don't see what all the rage about the recoil is about. A stock VFC 417 and WE M4 puts out significantly more (the look on people's faces when I let them shoot the GBB 417 compared with the TM417 says it all).

The buffer tube is loose(which seems to be a common issue).
The charging handle latch has fallen off already... and I don't even knock my rifle around - considering I mainly use it as a honesty rifle whilst marshalling.
The trademarks are only on 1 side of the rifle as well which was disappointing.

I'd like to say it's just my one, but it's the same few complaints from others as well, as I know at least 1 other person with a 417 at my local site who's sold it after 1 game!

Magpul PTS mags are extremely handy to disassemble, no? Pull out the springs, remove screws and vlean the 2 halves and spring with a q-tip dipped in a drop of solicone oil. And ylu're saying the 417nare even easier?  :o

Aweshum!

Maybe I should have been more specific. Almost any mag is real easy to disassemble... it's the RE-assembly that's the issue. The TM mags are designed so that once you put the spring back in the channel, it stays put, even under pressure. This was not my experience with PTS mags, which just about drove me insane.

The recoil was pretty much non-existent. I genuinely don't see what all the rage about the recoil is about. A stock VFC 417 and WE M4 puts out significantly more (the look on people's faces when I let them shoot the GBB 417 compared with the TM417 says it all).

Well, the VFC 417 (I assume you mean their GBB, otherwise I would like some of your drugs) is essentially famous for strong kick, so I'm not sure that's a fair comparison. But it's certainly a lot more pronounced than any other EBB I've ever used, and up there with a few GBBs as well. To say it's non-existent... I dunno man, that doesn't sound right.

The trademarks are only on 1 side of the rifle as well which was disappointing.

Technically correct for earlier 417s. Not a mistake.

Funnily enough, that's why I said GBB 417..

The only EBB comparison I have will be with my APS ASR 110 EBB but even that feels like it puts out more felt recoil than the TM...

If there is a reliable way of measuring the recoil I would be interested to know though as this has got me interested.

The only objective method I've used for determining recoil is the grouping during a 5 shot rapid between the GBB, TM and a bog standard AEG - but even that has human factors all over it (I was getting a similar group size between a normal AEG and TM)

RE: Trademarks, that's something new to me as every (production) 417 I've seen (bar the civilian MRs) have trademarks on both the LHS and RHS. 
Then again, I should also point out that the VFC trademarks isn't accurate either.