Volante-airsoft Merlin Blow Back Unit (BBU) review.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is my review and thoughts of the Merlin BBU that Volante airsoft released http://www.volanteairsoft.com/?product=merlin-blow-back-unit   To be honest I’ve read a few things about that engine,

I recommend you to take out BBU and lub its side rails and front cap.   All Merlin BBU is shipped after lubrication and working test but as you mentions 'friction' of nozzle, it can be problem of lu

Good review, just bought one to see for my self. Been using aip bbu on all my builds found it to have a tighter air seal with guarder loading nozzles then any other brand of bbu in combination with an

Got mine today. Really nice packaging and presentation. The bbu is not bad either, its a very well made peace of kit. I only got 2 routers with mine. And they seem to be to tight a fit, so much so that I can't put a mag in without forcing it. I tried with the regular marui routers and worked ok. Then I tried cutting one slightly but over did it a bit and ruined the router. Luckily squad is sending me a couple of his as he got a bag 7 routers with his package.

Just wondering wolf did u have to skim your routers a bit?

AFAIK hicapa mag routers are different from 1911's. It makes me wonder how well the supplied parts work in a 1911.

This is the problem with my installation of the routers. Hi capa routers sit higher then 1911 routers. So cutting is required to make them work with 1911 mags and it's not easy.

This is the problem with my installation of the routers. Hi capa routers sit higher then 1911 routers. So cutting is required to make them work with 1911 mags and it's not easy.

The router was made to cover Inokatsu's large tolerance. it can be tight in well made kit such as prime.

And about quantity of router, i gave extra 5 routers to customers that their order is delayed over month.

2 pcs of router is normal package. 

If you having problem with Merlin, please send me a email or PM.

Regard

Kim.

Modded another router today and got it to fit perfect. Just need to skim them a bit. Great blowback and power. Best way of skimming for me was with a scalpel. Very happy with this little beauty.

It's a nova kit I'm using btw.

Also Iv been told that FPR OEMed the inokatsu 1911 which would make sense that the routers would work as should on FPR (prob the same tolerance as ino)

But I would imagine that nova kits would be the most common kits used with this BBU and it's more then a tight fit, when unmoded the part of the nozzle that pushes the bb from the magazine come in full contact with the router and becomes jamed. So modding is the only option. But once done it work like a charm.

Edited by icolater

CooI, will wait to buy more routers then as well as another merlin bbu.

I was shooting a lapd installed with the merlin today with amazing results, very hard kick but even more so with high flow valves installed in the magazine, taking advantage of the extra space inside the nozzle. The gas efficiency was good as well, keep in mind Ireland is a cold place these days, I can empty a mag with full power on every shot and the slide locking back on the last shot if I shoot a bb per second. While not having the efficiency of a lightweight bbu it's still damn good considering the power of the blowback action and I'm sure there is a small FPS increase as well but can't confirm that as it's to cold to check outside and my girlfriend is not to pleased when I shoot indoors, so I'll have wait till she is out.

IMHO this is the best BBU available for the marui 1911.

Edited by icolater

Sorry for going on a bit but I love the design of this bbu so much. Any chance of making a lightweight alloy version in the future? It be cool having two options available. But well done on the merlin, really really top notch product. I have to say.

Thanks for great feedback.

But i can't make new mold for Merlin's router because i'm now making 7 product at same time.

Mjolnir, Auroura, Winchester gas unit, and some others.

I recommend you to purchase many spare router when it is in promotion.(Promotion will be end on Feb.22-Moon's new year)

Also if you're considering about to buy another Merlin, now is chance. 

There is new spring addition of Merlin, which has more beautiful package, 5 routers standard, and high fps aluminium cylinder bulb.

10317759_327651600769348_343939450397711

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Bit the bullet and just ordered one now. Can't wait to receive mine. Sadly though I'll have to do some fitment since it's going into a guarder slide. Only TRP kit I could find. Had to really file down the stock TM BBU to make it smooth like butter. I have no doubts that this is a great product and am willing to put in the work needed. Will update soon as I get mine.