Elite: Dangerous

Lone_Bullet

Heya folks!

I pre-ordered the game but didn't play till a few days ago when I overcame my initial fear of space sim with keyboard and mouse.

I'm still practically wet behind the ears but after a few lossy trades and aimlessly wandering around I make a few credits trough the bulletin board.

Bog standard, non-modded sidewinder but I start to really LOVE it! Even docking is a fun mini game for me ( I'm the guy that always tried to park nice in GTA and WatchDogs :P )

Currently in Ekinor ( I think ... weird names )

Equiped with Track IR5 ghetto glued edition and having the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and a Beyerdynamic MMX300 on the way I'm expeting WAY too much of the game, but couldn't care less as of now.

Still waiting for the Oculus Rift though.

So... What are your experiences with E:D? 

It's the top of my "to buy" list.

A team mate has an Oculus headset... Elite is amazing using it (and that was just watching footage of someone else's game).

I'm not convinced my wife is going to like the hours this game is going to steal from my life. Especially seeing as the pc is linked up to the main tv in the living room :D

Have been in it since Beta. It has great promise, but it shouldn't have been released yet. It's too buggy and there's not enough content.

Flying the spaceship, some fights and docking are great and really capture the feel of the thing, but... once you've done that for 10 hours or so you start to wonder what next. Plenty of rabid fans on the forums saying "It's sandbox, use your imagination, you should play a different game, etc", but having 400 billion worlds isn't that great if there's nothing to *do* with them.

At the moment support tickets are languishing in the queue (like "why was my ship destroyed by the station for no reason, thus causing the loss of hours of work") and features that were broken and ticketed in Beta are still broken, which makes me wonder why I put the time in. It's billed as an MMO, but isn't in any traditional sense of the word, since it's hard to actually plan to meet people unless you're prepared to put a load of effort in and use teamspeak, etc. You can't group up, chat easily, share bounties, do co-op missions, link your drives together and jump to the same destinations... This is all alleged to be coming at a later stage, as are a variety of other improvements.

The Fansbois have been predictably hilarious with victim blaming every time a bug hits you. Pointing out things that don't work properly has been met with

"It's just beta - you're here to test it"

"There'll be loads more stuff in before release"

"The devs are playing a different build and the Vertical Slice will bring loads more content"

"It's only just been released, you can't expect everything to work".

"Use your imagination - X will be coming in Y months time"

And so on.

I'm currently taking a break from it as it's just too frustrating when you get nailed by bugs/random happenings (and you will). I pop into the forums occasionally, but they're pretty toxic. Once they do a few more patches, answer some of my outstanding tickets and add more content then I'll take another look, because it's got a lot of potential. I just hope they do something with that before everyone else gets too disillusioned with it.

So far, despite the issues Hatchet has raised (which while I agree exist, don't seem to bother me that much) I'm having a whale of a time.

I backed a certain amount during the pre-order, so I had the option to start with a Cobra Mk3 in a border system with a hold of cargo (and an Eagle in a station as well).

I've tried my hand at mission work, mining, and trading so far (saving up for bigger guns for proper bounty hunting), and trading seems (to me) to be most 'fun'. You earn a reasonable amount of money - not quite as much as proper hardcore mining in a pristine metallic ring - but it's much less tedious. You get to meet many more players, see more of space and generally 'feel' more involved in the universe. 

There's a great community on reddit, and the rare routes (things which are highlighted yellow in the commodities market are 'rare' goods) can be hideously profitable, if you've go a big enough cargo hold and jump range.

Things like Slopeys trade tool make standard commodity trading really worth it once you're up above 120T of cargo space, too.

I tried the tutorials with mouse and keyboard and failed miserably. I've got an xbox 360 pad which I've been using exclusively (because I can't afford a proper joystick yet) and honestly, it works brilliantly for me. A couple of times I've wished for more buttans but the combinations appear to work really well.

I love it.  Yes it has its buggy moments, yes it has issues but I'm enjoying going from space bounty hunter to trading.

Although I do recommend getting Voice attack, its about £6 but its worth the cost and helps add to the game especially if you are using a HOTAS/Joystick combo.

If you plan on doing some trading then check out http://edtracker.org.uk/ I use it to help plan trade routes and its quite handy so far.  For joystick check out http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Hotas-Joystick-PS3/dp/B001CXYMFS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420758174&sr=8-1&keywords=thrustmaster+hotas  although it has gone up in price you should be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.  It's a great stick and plenty of room for customising the buttons.

I found it quite difficult to get into E:D and honestly I was disappointed in it to begin with. It feels sparse and details your given are just so vague.

That said my opinion has since changed somewhat. Once you grasp the basics and get to grips with the controls it does open up a bit, and dare I say it I've actually started to enjoy it. 

Started playing with a few friends too, bounty hunting in the Smethell 119 systems asteroid fields.

Heres a picture of me REPRESENTING !

16520657344082739200_screenshots_2014_12

16520657344082739200_screenshots_2014_12

Still doing Mouse/keyboard since general demand has delayed my Warthog again. AAAAAND my TrackIR Pro is broken. Costing US$38, nowhere to be found in the EU and asking US$30 to be shipped to me.

Will ghetto fix my old one then. Again.

I'm getting the hang of the game. Not that I'm any good at it, but It's getting even more enjoyable.

Bounty hunting/pirating is still a big no-no without a flight stick.

I still need more insight in Outfitting though. Sometimes I cant tell the difference between some components.

Class size and rating are independant - 

class size goes from 1-5 smallest to biggest, and rating goes from F - A, worst to best.

generally bigger things are better - a Class 2 E rating pulse laser will be almost certainly better than a class 1 B rating.

Which components are you struggling with? you can't chop and change the core modules (life support, thrusters, FSD, fuel tank, armour) but pretty much everything else you can pick and choose as you see fit.

I'd strongly advise NEVER to run without shields though (some traders sell the shield module so they can get an extra cargo bay).

rule of thumb is more expensive = better, but it depends what you want it for really.

• 2 weeks later...

You can buy premade official skins/decals from the store (for real money), but the only place you can see them is in the outfitting hanger - there's no external view. It might be worth taking a look and seeing if there's anything there you like the look of first. Other players can see them, but they'd have to be pretty close. Physically, every ship of the same type looks identical - there's no external difference if you fit different engine modules or whatever (the guns are modelled, but most of the time they'll be stored inside the ship).

I'm kind of tempted to get a new rig and start playing maybe go for bounty hunting smuggler style play.

How individual can you makeep your ship look?

Not that individual yet - there's a few skins for most of the ships, some don't have any, and the one with the most is the Viper, iirc. ATM it is pretty wide but shallow. You can mine, trade, run rare goods, do missions, bounty hunt or explore, but thats pretty much it. Have a look on youtube to see if its for you, there's myriad videos on there. For good dogfighting ones, isinona's videos are brilliant, how he does that with his ship is beyond me.

You can buy premade official skins/decals from the store (for real money), but the only place you can see them is in the outfitting hanger - there's no external view. It might be worth taking a look and seeing if there's anything there you like the look of first. Other players can see them, but they'd have to be pretty close. Physically, every ship of the same type looks identical - there's no external difference if you fit different engine modules or whatever (the guns are modelled, but most of the time they'll be stored inside the ship).

PEW PEW LASORS!

I've been experimenting with disabling flight assist during certain maneuvers in combat. Its a bit fiddling with the mouse and keyboard but if you gain enough inertia  you can pull some crazy moves.

I wish they would add skins and decals that could be purchased with in-game credits rather than real cash. It wouldn't be so bad if they were fairly priced, but £5-£10 is taking the . That's *suitcase* you'd expect from a F2P game, not a full priced retail game. 

I wish they would add skins and decals that could be purchased with in-game credits rather than real cash. It wouldn't be so bad if they were fairly priced, but £5-£10 is taking the ######. That's *suitcase* you'd expect from a F2P game, not a full priced retail game.

Sadly, that is the way games have gone. People will, and do, pay rediculous sums of money for skins. Just look at the price people pay for weapon skins on Counter Strike:GO. £280ish for a knife that gives no benefit.

• 1 month later...

Funny that, how will they transfer ALL the controls to a PS4/XBX controller?

I play with an X360 controller and keyboard combo. X360 works for flight controls and stuff, keyboard for other quick shortcuts - space for zero throttle etc. Most of the non-essential controls (landing gear, cargo scoop, heatsink, chaff etc) is a combo of the X/B/A/Y buttons and the D-pad.

It's fairly intuitive.

Archived