Best airsoft silencer?

bjorn

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like they lengthened the gas path by folding it backwards to the part wrapping the barrel, fold once more and exit at the sprial shaped flash-hider-ish part, like how prisms in binoculars work.......... also feels like how you play tower defense games, make the path as long as possible, weaken enemies along the path before they reach the goal :P

Not sure how beneficial it would be in airsoft, it's already aesthetically pleasing enough that I want one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I really like the Nuprol SF 5.56 short and long suppressors. The QD system works. The stabilizer tube inside needs cutting down to increase room (it's basicly a loudner inside a suppressor) and have some more foam added. But really good results in a small package so far. Retail for £25 or so, which is super cheap really.

I really like the Nuprol SF 5.56 short and long suppressors. The QD system works. The stabilizer tube inside needs cutting down to increase room (it's basicly a loudner inside a suppressor) and have some more foam added. But really good results in a small package so far. Retail for £25 or so, which is super cheap really.

Well I ordered the long one from nearby EU store. They seem to be pretty much everywhere lately. Will see what it`s made of and try to mod it to better until something better comes along. 

Can you recommend what kind of foam you used? I tried some acoustic foam, put it under water, freezed it and then drilled sections but it isn´t good enough quality. Would prefer something already cut to size. 

That's an interesting trick with freezing it haha.

I've used the included packaging foam as suppressor foam so far. It's alright in a pinch.

Mind you, it doesn't sit on as tight as a proper threaded suppressor. So can't go crazy on baffles, exit hole etc.

Strange, low-speed economy service came before standard speed/price items.

I63Tz5Rl.jpg

The 3d model of "K baffle" was built in a rush to make the order in time to benefit free shipping offer from certain service provider, the exit hole was a single cut as in the picture above, I believe it will work as good as 2 separate cuts but not look as cool.

As a side note I still managed to build a parametric model for the baffle, that means if I am building them for another can with different size, I can type just a few numbers without drawing the whole thing again.

vr3Tvyzl.jpg

The fit is nice,  they can even friction fit themselves in the can without any extra supports, I was surprised because most of them time 3D printing can be a little bit off in size due to melting and sintering stuff.

Tested a few shots on my APS-2 air cocking rifle, not as dampen as 5x foam rings with 4x plastic sheet walls in between, but I do believe the volume is lower.

I then scraped some open-cell foam and cut a few strips in triangular rod shape, wrapped them outside the cone part of the baffle and tried again, still not as dampen as foam/wall setup but I guess people down range can't really hear. Further testing involving standing down range and getting shot at(?) will be performed if I get the time.

While not the best in sound dampening, the baffle setup for airsoft is superior in the durability department. When baffle strike happens, foam rings (baffles in this case) get screwed up and one would probably need to replace them, while SLS printed nylon just don't give a damn to most impacts. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Inspired by this and I thought I could doodle (not design :P ) something similar
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/09/21/rebel-silencers/

Back to topic, what I found from the K Baffle is what designed for RS use not necessarily 100% applied to airsoft.

Can't say for sure but I now believe:

To decrease the volume of the sound, you increase the "path" length, like playing "tower defense" games.

To dampen the tone of the sound, you put something with great surface area (foam?) inside the can, which is very similar to lengthening the path but with much smaller holes and very large number of holes.

With that said I'm quite happy with K Baffle and foam setting for now, and if I'm doing it again (new project maybe?) I would make a reflex design.

Just the K Baffle and the traditional foam, with some adjustments like adding walls between foam sections or adding foam in K Baffles.

Just asked a friend to shoot at (a target next to) me at 10M-ish distance, the foam plus wall setting produces a very dampened sound, I can hear it but I believe it was indistinguishable in game, interestingly, the BB flying through air makes a more audible sound.

The K Baffle with foam, while still impressive, I can hear a very, very slight pop, I guess you'll know you're getting shot at anyway (BB flying through), I just left that for now and wait for next game.

Archived