Mk23 LAM Unit

chas

I recently (more like a year ago...) bought a used KSC Mk23 which included a Marui LAM unit. Since it doesnt work at all, I have decided to give it new internals instead of trying to fix the stock ones, which, BTW, apparently suck when they work, too (dim flashlight, LEDs instead of lasers, I kid you not!).

Since the TM LAM unit is so bad out of the box, there are many  upgrade  guides out there, but since I have no clue about electronics, Im not even going to start to try and master resistors, ohms, fine soldering, etc. I am useless at this stuff and always will be.

So I am left with gutting and existing light&laser combo and simply transplanting the internals into the LAM Shell. This is why I am here: to ask you for suggestions on what the donor should be.

Im considering an Element LLM01, since the flashlight is ridiculously bright and has great range, has IR and VIS lasers and comes in a compact package. It also uses 2 x CR123A batteries, like most of my flashlights.

Cons: the visble laser is not that powerful and the lamp seems to be quite bigger tan the width of the LAM Shell. And it's got multiple settings and way too many buttons, from which I infer that it has more electronics tan can be fit into the small LAM Shell and, as I already stated above, I don't want to cut out things and having it not work in the end.

Any suggestion is welcome.

P.S. I only want one red laser and the flashlight. If there is room enough, Ill get a a Green laser, too, but no IR.

P.S.2: I will probably use the stock lever switch for the flashlight (momentary mode: only on while you press it) and a permanent on/off push button switch for the laser.

I upgraded mine with one of these cree torches from amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CREE-Lumens-Flashlight-Zoomable-Torch/dp/B007ZXUUOG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0VWDSVS4W9B26ET97H76

10926242_10154522474241515_1787021427308

10924166_10154522476851515_3654816150935

It was a pretty easy job with minimal soldering (3 joints iirc) and the only other tools I used was a dremel to get every thing to fit inside then a glue gun to hold the lamp in place.

Now I have a lam with high, low and strobe functions and it's brighter than the original torch as it's running on 4.5v instead of 1.5v

I decided to make a LAM unit a while ago for my MK23.  Decided to start from scratch as I dident like the marui one, but I can get details of the components I used if its of any interest.  I will get some photos later, but my plans are below.  Built it with an 800Lm LED and 4mw Green laser (bargain £1.5 laser pen from china).

LAM1_zpsy5lzbpik.jpg

Bits_zpssmqac3pm.jpgShell_zpsib0squcn.jpg

If the laser and flash light are the same voltage then yes, the circuit above will work perfectly.  It is possible to step voltages down if you laser needs a lower voltage with a simple circuit if needed, but this decreases efficacy slightly.  It would use an LM78## series regulator (eg LM7805 for 5v)

I just purchased the Element replicas of the Surefire M720V and of the SF X300 flashlights. Way brighter and with more range than needed for a pistol light, IMO.

Both use 2 x CR123A batteries, which I believe are 3.2-3.3 V. But I dont know if the are in series or in parallel. If they were in parallel (same voltage, double capacity), I would be able to buy a cheap laser module designed to work with 1 x CR123A, wouldn't I?

If it's got two batteries in a tube chances are they are in series so the voltage will be added together.  If thats the case you would need a 6.6v laser, or a voltage regulator, or separate batteries.

If it's got two batteries in a tube chances are they are in series so the voltage will be added together.  If thats the case you would need a 6.6v laser, or a voltage regulator, or separate batteries.

I just checked my rechargable CR123As: 3.6V.

Also, the flashlight that I mentioned use 2 x batteries in series, so 7.2V.

I watched a video tutorial on the LM7805 regulator and it says you need to use capacitators? There's only so much room in the stupid LAM unit.

The capacitors are important if you have a voltage or current ripple upstream (i.e. you are running off the mains), not so important for a battery circuit, but as they are only pennies in cost, and the size of a lentil its probably worth putting them in.  It would also be worth putting a diode in, this will act as a one-way "valve", protecting the circuit against putting the battery in the wrong way round.  I can draw a circuit for you if you like, just let me know.

Thanks a lot, MadDog!

As you can see in the pdf i linked to, the main issue here is limited space.

I will first have to think about how to make the laser module adjustable (for point of impact). Then decide whether I use the same source for power or what.

Archived