Does any Co2-mag use same VALVE as tm Desert Eagle mag?

swatti

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I add a small word of caution. I have had a TM DE mag blow apart on propane/green gas. Not the seals letting go but the boss cast in to the top of the mag which the long screw which goes in to the bottom of the mag and holds the mag together screws in to. The boss failed and cracked across above where the screw was screwed in. This ripped the pin at the top of the mag for the feed lips through the mag body.

Now I will confess that this was partly self inflicted as I had left the mag on a chair in front of a radiator over night before a game. However the pressure in a "hot" propane mag isn't going to come close to a CO2 filled mag. So while you haven't had one let go yet it could. It went with a hell of a bang and woke me and a team mate in the hotel room next door up. I still have the bits, as an object lesson to my own stupidity, and can post photos if desired.

Maybe yours was a lemon mag? Or already partially weakend.

That's kind of the point, just because one person has found it 'safe' to fill a particular mag with Co2 it doesn't mean all of the same magazines will be safe, you have to remember that airsoft magazines are on the whole diecast from cheap metals with much lower pressure gases in mind.

The homebrew testing Swatti has done is all good as well (and very brave) but I don't think it should be confused with the testing every HPA and Co2 bottle has to go through before leaving the factory to ensure they are safe to use and be refilled.

I welcome more Co2 options to the market but I'm just not convinced that filling normal magazines is the way to go about it, a lot of sites won't allow Co2 as it is and I doubt having a one off lemon mag fail onsite is going to help matters for those of us who want to use Co2.

These are all very good points. Though one should be able to test these pressures at home as Swatti did to add another level of safety to it. 

Could a blow off valve not be fitted? Similar to that on the original Marushin M500s?

Still flabbergasts me that no company what so ever in 12 years has even thought of doing a Co2 mag for a TM DE. It is a popular pistol, maybe not so much as a G17 or 1911 etc.. but still. 90% of the reason I don't use mine anymore is that is got the Guarder metal kit fitted and thus will not work effectively in less than 20c ambient temp.  

As said mine may have been a duff mag. In fact when I checked it over afterwards I believe the result of the failure was down to poor moulding in the region of the boss.  However the fact it failed at all should be a concern. If it were me I would only use mags which had been hydrostatically tested. Although truthfully if it were me I wouldn't do it at all. I have worked with He, N2, CO2 /liquid CO2 and NO2 systems at cylinder pressures and wouldn't mess with pressurised gasses in anything which hadn't been designed from the outset to work at those pressures. 

I see some good pointers here but as mentioned, Ive tested the mag quite well. 

SMALL UPDATE: "buy french, get french"

Got both of the fill-adapters. Both FUBAR. There is only ONE seal, flimsy silicone-ring/washer. Tied against the CO2 port of the adapter, meaning once the CO2 goes thru, it pushes the seal into the port and tears it to pieces... And seriously, just ONE seal in the entire construct.

The other one someone had nicely broken by over-tighting in the brass-part inside leading to cracking it... "Oops... Not my problem..." *bags is and ships it*

Heres hoping i get my money back.

Bent over and took it. Bought a Madbull co2 adapter, 50 euros. Local stores all list it but none have had one in stock, ever.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Found a set of seals that fit between the 2-piece setup of the mags. 

We re-did the air-pressure test a bit different. We pumped the air thru the strike valve port, NOT the fill valve port. Now with a working fill-valve in place. Sadly we had no numbers but the same pump is used to pump CO2 in very large canisters so it is higher pressure then the CO2. 

Slightly above CO2-pressure the fill-valve gave up and started leaking. When i managed to over-fill the re-fillable capsules, they leaked out the over-pressure... Failsafe 1

Screw out the fill-valve and insert similar size screw. Blocked now. Ramp up the pressure and finaly the new seals i got popped. Failsafe 2

So i have the fill-valve AND the new seals i use BOTH acting as a failsafe before the 2-piece locking screw dies/snaps/un-threads. All this was done on the spare-part/broken mag i did the previous tests with. 

Once the new adapter arrives, i intend to fill ALL of the mags, line em up and fire up the garage-heater "bit too close" and see how long it takes for ALL of the mags to blow. This time far enough to make sure the seals dont melt but instead all the mags get maximum pressure. I expect the fill-valves and seals to die and if so, i considor this a safe-to-use setup in-game. If the 2-piece system screws die i will abandon the project due to safety reason / me being dead. 

• 6 months later...

Archived