Most tactical....socks?

blobface

I know it's seems trivia but I've gone through so many airsoft socks it's ridiculous, while my shoes aren't giving me blisters (I wear the Asolo gtx, very comfortable), my socks seem to get thinner at the heel and eventually there's just be a hole, I've tried hiking socks, or generic army issue thick socks, and they just die after a while. What's the Asolo / Arc'teryx / Gucci / Costa Haley operator disruptive environment tacticool socks equivalent that you've tried and would recommend? Ideas? Thanks

I use a pair of 5.11 Tactical socks when I play and I feel they do a real good job at keeping my feet in good condition. However I don't know the model I am using so... :|

EDIT: Found it in my mailbox;

http://www.511tactical.com/level-i-6-sock-regular-thickness.html

Can't say I've used them enough to speak about long term durability though.

I also use 5.11 boxers which work great too :P

I got a lot of *suitcase* from my non airsoft buddies for having tactical underwear ...

haters gonna hate :o

Socks are disposable. Wear, wash, wear, wash, throw away*.

*You wouldn't wash then throw away, you would wear them, realise they are rubbish then throw them away, you wouldn't wash a sock with a hole in....

{edit} You also would be able to wear a particular sock far more than 2 times, I was merely attempting to show the cycle of wash/wear until they wear out.

I have tried several wool hiking socks of various weights, but my go-to is a SmartWool heavy merino blend trekking sock.  They're obviously nice in the winter, but I find them comfortable in the hottest Southern California summers.  It might be my imagination but the extra pile seems to create a little cooling airspace around my foot, or maybe they just wick better than average.  They're kinda thick, so I usually wear them with Timberland jungle boots that have a little extra room.  They also dry pretty quickly (in conjunction with quick draining boots) if I wade through a stream or something.  

I randomly bought a pair of Nike football ( soccer :P ) socks when I was in a sports wear store, I was thinking the same thing as most my "airsoft socks" die faster than my casual socks. Wondering if the socks for the most foot-demanding sport would last longer...

Reinforced heel, toe, and ball area, very good shock absorption and wear resistance. Top of sock is extra long that exceeds the height of knee that you fold back down to cover calf, I suspect that fabric provides some extra compression for the muscle. Moisture wicking is also good.

I have a number of CarePlus CoolMax trekking socks which I've abused more than any day skirm or even milsim event will (weeklong military exercises and weeklong hikes through Scotland and Wales) and they are still surprisingly comfortable and in extremely good condition. I definitely recommend looking into these if you're looking for a pair of tough socks. 

I imagine a persons weight + whatever else he's carrying would be a big factor in how long they'll last. Being light of build and rarely carry much in a game, I'm more likely to wear out the elastic around the ankles first before it gets torn around the heel area and that's playing regularly with a lot of running around. I use low cut Puma's.

With that maybe try doubling up on socks or use a cushioned insole.

My go-to sock for years has been https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/finnish-boot-socks-olive-green/1742 They aren't hyper-expensive, but they are good-lasting (I walk a LOT for fun) and are perfectly machine washable. Thye aren't eternal, but if you show me an eternal sock, I'll prove they aren't all that in few weeks...

I would recommend (and indeed wear) smartwool PHD hiking socks. For most conditions get the medium weight crew hiking sock. They're a high merino content sock which gives them a good range of temperatures in which they're comfortable, they also fit better than the smartwool classics as the sizing is more accurate (the classics come up a bit big and can be sloppy on the heel) they also use compression fabric at specific points to wrap around the foot so there's very little slip. I find bridgedale, while long lasting go a bit plasticky feeling after a number of washes, this makes sense since they are mainly synthetic fibre, they also struggle to keep my feet warm at lower temperatures for the same reason, the wool content in the merino Trekkers is only 27% compared with around 75% for most smartwool socks. Smartwool PHD also last a long time and take a while to "stink up" while you are wearing them.

Smartwool are terrible. 5.11 are good cotton socks, but cotton socks are bad compared to a good merino wool sock.

Darn Tough socks are perhaps the most durable merino wool socks you can buy. They are far more durable, pill and shed less, and have a replacement guarantee from DT once they wear out. My smartwool lost their shape and elasticity soon after light use, and they pill like crazy.

I've never used Bridgedale, but I've heard they are comparable to DT.

Archived