Why such a lack of CQB/FIBUA/Urban in the South?

bankz5152

I know this has come up a few times. I've been searching for a few hours for some CQB/FIBUA/Urban sites in the South East/London and there really is not much! 

So far I have -

The Mall, Reading - Zed Adventures

The Sandpit, Greenhithe/Bean - UCAP

MOD Longmoor, Hampshire - Is it just me or do there seem to be less and less games here?

MOD, The Billet, Hampshire - Ambush Adventures

The School, Watford - Red 1 - Anyone been here? What's it like?

The Tunnels, Epsom - Elite Action Games - Not heard the best things from here...

Havnt seen anything happen at Rype Village or Lydd since EBZ closed down. Anyone know why the Aldershot MOD sites closed down?

I personally cannot stand playing 90% of woodland sites as you either get too many kids, hi cap heroes, spray and pray, poor marshalling, poor game play or un-organised. Not true for all but is for most for me. 

Any i've missed?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd guess higher property and land prices (which can be used for housing) in the south are a factor, no land owner is going to rent out old sites to airsofters if they can get planning permission for housing and a small fortune from it very quickly.

Planning permission for fixed structures might come into it maybe - not quite sure though. It does explain why quite a lot of sites are Armed Forces barracks (RAF Upper Heyford) though; buildings ready to go with the amenities stripped out. As we saw with Upper Heyford however, leases can be revoked quite quickly.

Edit: Also Rob15s' post ^^^

The Mall, Reading - Zed Adventures

The Sandpit, Greenhithe/Bean - UCAP

MOD Longmoor, Hampshire - Is it just me or do there seem to be less and less games here?

MOD, The Billet, Hampshire - Ambush Adventures

The School, Watford - Red 1 - Anyone been here? What's it like?

The Tunnels, Epsom - Elite Action Games - Not heard the best things from here...

South Coast CQB - Portsmouth

Ironsight Airsoft - Andover

UCAP Bunker - Portmouth

Combat South Urban - Portsmouth

added a few. See here more details : http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/214071-cqb-sites-in-the-south-east/

Otherwise Rob15 is on the money. Any CQB/FIBUA airsoft site would be "brownfield" land and as such considerably easier to get planning permission for development.

I'd say we have 10 years MAX left of CQB/FIBUA sites apart the occasional pre-demolition arrangement.  

With ref to the Ambush Sites - they have them on rotation from the MOD.

I think its a pretty good offering to be honest. 

Maybe im just being greedy lol. Hmmm Andover & Portsmouth arent that far so may well be worth a punt! Me n my team are all South London/North Kent way up until a couple years ago we had Bexley Labs, Northfleet, TWA Annerly (not great but cheap) all pretty much on our doorstep. Just seems now if we want to play its at least an hour driving or more. 

Biggest issues I would believe is finding a venue large enough that has multiple ways through the building(s) whilst being able to keep green fees at a respectable level so some profit can be realised.

Being able to tick all those boxes and have the landowner happy to rent it to airsoft? Tall order in most of the country, in the South East obviously more so.

Zed adventures are opening a 5 storey office block next to the mall soon. Heard about this from the redwolf mall takeover event as you will be able to book in one hour slots to get a feel for the site.

Really, really need to try the Bunker and the Mall when I head back home for a while.

Within one hour drive of me (no traffic) I have:

One Shot CQB, Thornton, Fife.

The Fortress, Kirkcaldy, Fife.

The Depot, Glasgow.

Now the top one is a dual use indoor paintball site too and only runs on Tuesday at £16 a head but is good. The second is £25 a go, is not finished yet but could be very interesting when it is and the last one is £35 a Sunday and takes an hour exactly to get to. The first two have only been open 6 months to a year.

Then if I extend that to 1hr30mins, I get the one in Ardeer and that is it. 4 in the Central Belt of Scotland is pretty damn good though.

'FireKnife'

Isn't there he site run by wolf in London and for as far as getting sites it's getting permission from the various bodies with an interest.

I know of one place in Sheffield scuppered by heritage rules due to parts of the inside being listed and of annother in doncaster scuppered because the council refused to give permission on the grounds it was a smack head doss site and rather than doing something about it they were content to leave it.

There's plenty of Brownfield sites in London (both central-ish and suburb-ish) that can be used for compact CQB games.

The problems I encountered were when I wanted to turn empty sites/buildings included:

Landlords - Airsoft? what's that? GUNS? YIKES!

Rents - even old dilapidated buildings start at levels which you simply wouldn't be able to cover from Airsoft activities

Buildings - to get the buildings that could be used for Airsoft up to scratch with current H&S guidelines would cost a fortune, you'll never see your money again

The best bet for a London based CQB site would be a warehouse unit in one of the inner London suburbs and then turn it into a Tac City type venue.  

There's an on off site in Swindon - Was chatter about it reopening.

Has 'Swindon Airsoft' in 10ft high letters on the side of the building. Can't speak for the shop of the same name though, hope the two aren't connected.

Interesting. Is this on your radar?

http://www.firstandonlyevents.co.uk/locations/the-base-cqc/

Archived