Airsoft Events vs Paintball (and differences)

infamousmax

Yo!

Thought I'd have another go at interfacing with you lot.

Long story short is: I played paintball for many years, got bored because its basically a run and gun game, not much tactics or strats. After a year of not playing paintball i'm missing the socializing and the big events. 

My thinking is, Airsoft is a much more tactical game from what I can see, and the general attitude playing airsoft is to have a plan. (in paintball it is just "where is the enemy?", "over there" [run in that direction]) Especially since radio comms etc only just started getting popular in paintball the past few years and they seem to be the norm in airsoft. 

Example Paintball Games (sorted by my favorite at the top):

Sennybridge Tippmann Challenge / Shoreline (Wales, Sennybridge Military Village) 58 Hour game day/night non-stop all weekend.

North Vs South 2000+ paintballers over 700 acres (which maybe compares to airsoft festival?)

Super 6 (was 6 games shoreline put on a year that normally had a couple hundred people attend)

other events include:

ammogeden

a bunch of zombie stuff

International trips: 

Castle in France

and others.

SO my question is this.

What kind of major events happen each year for airsoft?

What is the atmosphere like?

How many people attend these events?

Are they well structured? Good camping, good food, good drink etc.

What are the tactics like? Mission briefings, teams, factions, official comms channels, bases, hq's etc etc.

Feel free to inform me about the beauty of Airsoft Events! 

Also for any ex-paintballers turned airsoft I'd appreciate your opinion on the differences and if you regret it!

Thanks everybody! Appreciate the responses !

If you want strategy and tactics its best to look at Stirling or Tier 1 events. They generally don't have huge games to what you are referencing to in the paintball world, but are more cerebral/endurance oriented.

That is fine I enjoy the variation, and even in big games at paintball events there was opportunities to do missions etc for bonus points and stuff, i assume for airsoft?

Thanks!

If you want really large and organized events look for Berget, Border Wars or Operation East Wind.

You get a well organized, multi day game with a command structure, varied objectives and a very tactical focus.

:)

If you want really large and organized events look for Berget, Border Wars or Operation East Wind.

You get a well organized, multi day game with a command structure, varied objectives and a very tactical focus.

Awesome ! thanks for the info, however looking for things in the UK only at the moment.

Thanks!

There's a big weekend game in the Midlands every year. www.FireballSquadron.com organise it and they use the whole of the huge Basetts Pole site to put on a rolling weekend game. Fireball also do good all day games every weekend - mixed objectives that change throughout the day.

There's also a big game organised for the August BH weekend here https://www.facebook.com/NationalAirsoftEvent 

Finally, if you want tactical games that aren't just Run N Gun, look at the WW2 airsoft games.

There's a big weekend game in the Midlands every year. www.FireballSquadron.com organise it and they use the whole of the huge Basetts Pole site to put on a rolling weekend game. Fireball also do good all day games every weekend - mixed objectives that change throughout the day.

There's also a big game organised for the August BH weekend here https://www.facebook.com/NationalAirsoftEvent 

Finally, if you want tactical games that aren't just Run N Gun, look at the WW2 airsoft games.

thanks mate! will check them out.

Sadly, the last ever East Wind will be taking place this month. Never huge in numbers, but hands down the best and most involved milsim game I have ever attended. I would love to see a similar game crop up in the UK, sadly I don't have the spare funds to make it happen myself.

Paintball hurts a hella lot, the balls are ridiculously expensive, the guns are ugly and inneficient. One major point though; getting hit means something, and cheat8ng is very hard. (People who dont call hits me off more and more...ive actually started running "revenge predator missions"-hunting down the really bad offenders. Its popular too-i had a "hit squad" of five up for some justice last week,very fun. Every team should have a "designated spotter/executioner" imo" the umpires cant be depended on.

I could write a thesis on why airsoft will make paintball extinct so ill just leave it at this- being in a gun phobic country, i cant describe the buzz from my first game- swat teams chatting with with a delta force team, everybody armed to the teeth with serious assault weapons.

And you can rock and roll full auto.

Infamous Max, places like the Citadel (castle in france) Shoreline events, they also run Airsoft games there.

(yes I too Paintball) 

I keep noticing an increasing emergence of companies from Paintball world moving into the Airsoft world (Valken, Dye etc) 
and Airsoft/tactical gear being seen in the Magfed line up so I do hope in time we will start seeing more friendliness between the two (nothing wrong with good natured ribbing, but sometimes people get a bit OTT) 

There was a guy selling games (and its 4x as much as airsoft where i live), and he had the m16 style gun, cept it had bits where there shouldnt- frankengun. If they had a site where all guns were R.A.M.s i would be there in a heartbeat; I fired the mp5 once and it was fantastic, 900 rpm hundreds of cartridges flying everywhere-the most realistic replica ive used.

• 4 weeks later...

Telling people marshals are useless isn't helpful and running vigilante 'predator justicd' won't solve the issue.

Especially isn't a good thing to tell new players such negative blanket statements.

If you think someone is cheating, report it to a marshal and give a good description.

Before you ask no 'he has an m4 and is wearing dpm' isn't a good description nor is 'the guy in dpm behind the tree'.

Marshals will watch and make notes, usually it's people ranging short or not hitting. Sometimes it's people who miss a hit or assume it's a ricochet due to their position.

Revenge hunting is more likely to get you booted than it is to get someone to change if they are not taking hits. Due to the temptation to go 'well if he didn't take one he will take me and my mates 10 second burst' and that escalating to conflicts.

Marshals generally work really hard to insure issue THEY KNOW ABOUT get fixed. Even if it's just them watching a player for a while to get a feel for how they play.

Such a toxic attitude of 'marshals can't be relied upon so I will go rinse someone' will really really drag the over all morale of a game down.

As for the anti paintball diatribe, this attitude doesn't help airsofters promote the sport as people assume that is the prevailing attitude and don't bother trying it out thinking they will get sneered at.

There are different style games in both sports catering to the different play styles.

As for the guns if airsoft tech was and has evolved to the same level as paintball tech it would be brilliant. The overall reliability and the innovation is only recently being matched in airsoft.

As for cheating... it happens in both sports and unfortunately because of the competitive mindset of paintball especially tourney style airball some people go to heavy lengths. Wearing specific jersey styles to discourage balls from breaking, wiping and similar tricks so....

There are loads of really good events in airsoft from uber realistic true mils im to themed weekenders to fast paced cqb so hopefully the op will find something that tickles his fancy.

As for cheating... it happens in both sports and unfortunately because of the competitive mindset of paintball especially tourney style airball some people go to heavy lengths. Wearing specific jersey styles to discourage balls from breaking, wiping and similar tricks so....

More like all :P

There's a different attitude in tournament paintball. It wouldn't work in airsoft due to lack of refs and hit marking. Example given: Pinoy tournaments...

Jackofblades, how long have you been playing airsoft?

Airsoft, around 6-8 years with gaps. Lets say on average 2X a month, though lately its been every week. I feel ancient...i remember a darker age where the only airsoft guns were tm and CA ij the airsoft section of gun mart.

Whys that then?

Because the idea of "hunting parties" is usually banded around by those who haven't been playing very long

Re marshalls, they can't see everything and can't just boot players after an accusation of cheating without seeing it for themselves. If you don't like the way marshalls do the job either step up and do it yourself or find another site

there is no reasonable way to do it. revenge is not reasonable. you take your hit, get a good old look at the 'offender' and find (or even call out) a marshal. you pass said description and last location to a marshal, who will move or relay another to go to that area, and should also circulate that description to the other marshals on site. After you have told the marshal you continue back to respawn and then play on like normal.

This coming from a marshal (if you were wondering). 

I'm relatively new to marshalling but its harder work than most people realise.

We do our best to ensure fair play but we can't see everything. The amount of times I had people complaining about hit taking last sunday actually upset me a little. Of course I was always nowhere near the offenders (yet was funnily enough keeping an eye on a group someone else had complained about).

But if you have problems be the better person, raise your concerns with a marshall, issue with the marshall raise it with head marshall or game organiser.

I'm relatively new to marshalling but its harder work than most people realise.

We do our best to ensure fair play but we can't see everything. The amount of times I had people complaining about hit taking last sunday actually upset me a little. Of course I was always nowhere near the offenders (yet was funnily enough keeping an eye on a group someone else had complained about).

But if you have problems be the better person, raise your concerns with a marshall, issue with the marshall raise it with head marshall or game organiser.

This.

It's not an easy job, and you don't always get appreciated for it.

"he's not taking his hits" 

" sorry I didn't realise the hired beta spetnaz AK you had could shoot 100m through heavy brush in a 30 MPH cross wind, I'll go and tell that regular marshal that's playing today he's cheating and ban his bottom....." 

I have had to take a gun off someone tell them to stand where they are walk to the point where their Target "wasn't taking his hits" and then shoot back at them with their own gun, they often seem quite amazed all of their shots are falling 20m short....

Archived