AK12 - Making the Blackviper model more realistic

mightyjebus

This is an ongoing project to make the Blackviper AK12 aEG into a more realistic version of the AK12. The project will involve 3D printed parts, a bit of chopping and general bashing things with a hammer to get the end result.

The AK12 is the new assault rifle which has been selected to arm the Russian armed forces and is directly linked to the Ak74. The AK12 is an updated model of the AK74 and incorporates some of the features seen in other modern assault rifles. The AK74 wa designed in the 70's to replace the AK47 and at the time the addition of rails, polymer furniture and nifty features didn't rank highly on any military weapon.

To make the AK12 a better platform than the Ak74 the designers included a fixed top receiver which allows scopes etc to be fitted on top of the rifle and because it's fixed there should be no loss of Zero on any scope. previously the Russians used side mounted optics to get round this but the mounts were unique and the new top rail will allow any picatinney mount to be fitted to the rifle. The new rifle also replaces the fire selector with a more straight forward lever, operated by your thumb, instead of the long selector which needed you to change hand positions to select safe, full auto or semi. other changes included an new flash hider, ambidextrous selector, secondary magazine release and new furniture.

Ok on with the project. The Black viper AK12 looks like this:

blackviper_zpswmrhj7hc.jpg

I'm going to try and make it look more like this:

actual_zpsj5vrcoeh.jpg

The latest AK12 will probably look like this but I'm going for the first production model.

latest%20model_zpsqqm3owsg.jpg

Looking at the Blackviper AK12 I wanted to change externally quite a few things:

New stock

New flash hider

new front sight

fake selector

paint it black

Internally I wanted to do the following:

replace the plastic gearbox with a metal V3 version

Because the stock is going the AEG needs to be front wired

fit a better inner barrel

add some weight as it's quite light weight

First thing I did was make the 3D models of the parts I want to replace:

AK12%20stock%20finished1_zps3qwiuzer.jpg

AK12%20parts_zpsetmbyf29.jpg

ak12%20front%20sight1_zpsawqggbrm.jpg

I had these printed out and after fitting I found a couple of problems which I'm sorting out. Whilst I wait the new printed parts I carried on with the build. In the picture below you can see the problem I had with the stock. It doesn't sit quite right so a new part for the back of the stock is being made. When it arrives I'll fit it but until then I'm using the original stock.

AK12%20stock_zpsb74pz95t.jpg

Internally I removed the plastic gearbox and fitted a LCT V3 gearbox in it's place. This was pretty much a drop in with very little modification to the clam shell body. The inner barrel was a straight swap for a spare I had. In the picture below you can see the internal difference and you might notice some metal blocks near the front end. I added these to increase the weight of the AEG.

inside_zpsmhqntrat.jpg

The fake selector was fitted to the left hand side of the receiver:

fake%20selector_zpsyd6l0uec.jpg

The hand guards are separate from the clam shell body so I front wired the gearbox and cut a slot in the clam shell for a LIPO battery. At the moment I have to remove 5 screws to change the battery but this will change.

battery_zpswekmuwhw.jpg

Currently it looks like this:

mag%20mock%20up_zpszgayd3eh.jpg

mag%20mock%20up1_zpsriwocggp.jpg

Things still to do:

sort out the stock

sort out the paint (a semi gloss finish like the RS version)

Move the charging handle further forward

figure out how to make the hand guards easily removable

maybe fit a Mosfet

redesign the front sight and flash hider to be one piece and slightly thicker

more to follow.......

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been trying to fit a CYMA AK74 front sight assembly to my AK-12, as it has the closest profile and threads.

20151029045336_zpsyqy2bnbl.jpg

20151029045330_zpsmbgnpsdh.jpg

The outer barrel is mild steel and was too thick to fit inside the front sight. So I turned it down to 15.5mm to fit. I used the CM031 front sight from the old TM style AK74s, as they have threads built in and are slightly cheaper.

When I can I'll see about making an AK12 style flash hider.

Archived