SMG vs Rifle? Major differences?

stonewall50

So as suggested, major differences? Any advantage of one over the other? Or are they roughly the same? One just being shorter? I know the real life feel and differences lol. Powder differences and so on. But is there much of an fps and range difference?

Any suggestion on where to look and learn?

Btw I love Uzis and mp5ks. Mac 10s too..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short version: no.

It does depend. I can't say I've compared a GBB smg to a GBB rifle but with AEGs they are basically the same - possibly a slightly lower FPS but it depends on the model.

Right on. I like the idea of an SMG. Maybe that is what I will look at then. Gotta get a handgun first though lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In airsoft there's very little difference with regards barrel length (it does have an effect, especially in GBB systems but it tends to be so little as to not really worry).

Some chap at Maddog yesterday had an L96 with the barrel cut as soon as it left the stock and put a stubby silencer on it. It was interesting to say the least.

I recommend just getting a M4, and you can build multiple uppers.

99% of people have an M4 variant, and the parts/mag accessible is greater.

Range depends on your inner barrel, bucking, r-hop does wonders.

There is a difference:

- Trajectory wise, a longer barrel will have flatter trajectory.  Shorter barrels will be more curved.  It does depend on the hop rubber and nub also, but this is describing a general trend.  So hence why longer barrel are more "predictable" at >60m ranges even though BBs from both short barrels and long barrels will reach.

- For GBBs.  Since the rate of expansion of propane is universal and purely dependent on temperature,the longer the barrel will yield greater FPS.  If you took an SMG and put a longer barrel you will get higher FPS.  From experience using marui/KSC based flute values and standard flute valve springs, max FPS with green gas on 0.2gs at 20*C at differing barrel lengths:

5" barrel at 390fps  (KSC MP9)       

7.5" barrel is 420fps  (VFC MP5)

10" at 450fps (VFC/G&P CQBR/CAR15)

14.5"-16"  at 480fps (WE AK PMC, VFC M4, G&P M4)

20" at 520-550fps (WE G36, WE M14)

- For AEGs, The barrel length and FPS relationship will depend on the Cylinder port and spring load, much like a bullet types. 

A long bullet cartridge is traditionally for a rifle, usually with slower burning power (less acceleration over the length of the barrel, but with a longer barrel), while a shorter cartridge is for a short barrel carbine or pistol with quicker burning powder (greater acceleration over the length of the barrel, but with a short barrel).  It is similar to the cylinder and spring load. 

For airsoft, To reach the same FPS, a rifle requires a long cylinder and a lesser tension spring to reach the same FPS as a short barrel carbine which only requires a shorter cylinder and a higher tensioned spring.  A short barreled carbine shooting rifle cylinder and spring tension will result in a drop in FPS, though an increase in muzzle report (just like the real steel).

NOW, why is that most people don't notice this?

It is because of limits in FPS, certainly if you are working within the 1J limit, all this effect will not be visible.  It is only until FPS reaches 420fps that these effect will be observed.  If most guns only shoot out to 100ft then its a bit hard to observe.

there are some differences and a few similarities.

essentially any aeg can be made to perform to the same standard as any other, so a mp5k shooting at 330fps can be made to perform as well as an m4 or ak 47 shooting at 330 fps. those broadly are the similarities, a bb fired from either has the same energy and will travel the same distance, given an 'out of the box' set-up though they will not have the same accuracy.

so if your goal was to be able to regularly hit an a4 sized piece of paper at 50m then it would be much easier to achieve that goal with a larger format like an m4 or ak47 as opposed to the smaller smg size. 

given exactly the same power output, a longer barrel and sighting arrangement will usually be more accurate. the longer sight radius makes aiming easier and the longer barrel will give better down range consistency = better accuracy.

now the major differences in terms of what a larger format can offer are magazine and battery capacity. eg m4 and ak mags generally hold a lot more bbs than mp5 mags of the same type and most full size rifles offer places to store larger battery packs, ofc modern lipo designs are making battery placement less of an issue.

so if you can hit our previous target of an a4 sized paper at 50m with any aeg, which format will enable you to fire at that target for the longest in terms of ammo and battery? usually not a mp5k but if you were desperate to use a mp5k then a drum amg and an external batt pack will get you up to rifle capacity but not sight radius..

If we are talking in a general sense about AEGs without going into the law of physics and are sticking to a 350fps limit with realistic limitations (as in 'that person is 30m away, I want to hit them with a BB') then it is really nothing at all.

Sure you can have bigger batteries and such but those can be gotten round by battery boxes and even full size rifles have models limited to Mini size batteries.

Often it boils down to what you want and making it work for you. Size wise yes comparing a MP5K to a full length M14 will see some differences but if you are looking at a full stock MP5 over a basic M4 Carbine then it is really down to shape, fit and magazines it takes.

'FireKnife'

In real world skirmish conditions you won't really see a difference between using a SMG using a standard gearbox and a carbine/rifle. Obviously the maximum usable range of an MP5K will be less than that of a rifle but in my experience I could still throw bbs out as far as a rifle when I had an MP5K, I just didn't have the accuracy to reliably hit targets.

With the AEP gearboxed SMGs the lower fps does have an effect on bb flight time, impact of the bb (players sometimes won't notice the hit at range) and of course battery capacity. The TM ones have great hops so you still get good range but imo they are best suited to CQB, Urban, or as a side arm.

• 1 month later...

In our country there is more or less not limit on the FPS (praise the Lord). The difference is a tad more important then - it can be easier to secure a V2 mechbox against a crack in M4 than in MP5. Another thing is that some players tend to look down to the "SMG snipers" (usually having longer barrel concealed in a silencer). I thing that P90 (with a silencer :)) is one of quite often used bases for that.

Archived