Wayfayrer ready to eat All Day Breakfast

Not sure if this is the right place really but we don't really have a miscellaneous review section so here it is.

I got this to keep in the car for emergencies along with some water.  I decided to do this after I got stuck in massive traffic jam in the middle of nowhere and all I had in my car for sustenance was a crate of beer on ice in a cool box.  Not much use for me but the people in the vicinity of my car enjoyed it as I offered them out.  It was a very hot day and no one had drinks, hence my generosity.  Even if it did make the situation worse for them ha ha.

Anyway, back to to product in question.  It cost me £4.99 from ebay which was the cheapest at the time of buying,  I went for all day breakfast flavour because who doesn't like an all day breakfast.  I decided to try it as it had just gone out of date as I never had to use it. 

VMmgUIbl.jpg

tpZMUE1l.jpg

It consists of beans, sausages, smoky bacon and omelet in a boil in the bag which can be eaten hot or cold.  I elected to have it hot and boiled it in the bag.

4epgE8jl.jpg

The sausages and beans are basically the exact same things you get in the standard sausages and baked beans in a can I'm sure most English people are familiar with.  The 'bacon' was probably the worst aspect.  No flavour whatsoever and a pretty meh texture. The omelet pieces were OK, not much flavour, texture seemed decent enough and was eggy to some extent.

Egg

ylOTCrll.jpg

Sausages and beans

u3zDNr0l.jpg

Bacon

b1Fkmp8l.jpg

I had to use a fairly large saucepan to get decent water coverage so I'm not sure how it would fair in a mess tin or similar.

It was OK and I'd be happy to eat it again but it was nothing special.  I've seen breakfasts in cans at the shops which I'm sure would  be the same but cheaper.  Boil in the bag packaging is handy I suppose and not bulky like a can if you needed to put it in a bug out bag or something.  However it's probably easier to dump the contents of tin into a mess tin to heat up but I haven't cooked in a mess tin for years with boil in the bag stuff.

Overall I'd give it 3/5. 

Aaaaand I missed the r off ready in the thread title. Can a mod edit if they see this please?

Edited by hitmanNo2

With mess tins it helps to move the food down to one side of the bag and put it in like that.

I highly rate 'look what we found' meals:

http://www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk/products

I have seen them on offer at waitrose so worth a look as it worked out a bit cheaper. Tldr: pressure cooked "real food" in bags. I think boil in the bag is fine but this case they are actually tasty.

Rat packs are cool and all but unless you can get them for free with the above you can build your own for a lot less as really you pay for the boil in the bag.

Cereal/protein bars, oatcakes, instant coffee sachets, jerky, nuts, choice of chocolate bar etc etc

condiments can be poached from wetherspoons etc. Have yet to find those tiny tobasco bottles tho you can get those gift boxes of 5 or so small bottles of chilli sauce if you like it hot.

• Like 1

With mess tins it helps to move the food down to one side of the bag and put it in like that.

I highly rate 'look what we found' meals:

I shall be giving these a go come weekender season.

What's the shelf life like? Their website tells me they are ambient storage, but not for roughly how long.

I shall be giving these a go come weekender season.

What's the shelf life like? Their website tells me they are ambient storage, but not for roughly how long.

One year :)

edit: one year from manufacture not necessarily when you buy them. Can't see why you can't freeze them though.

Edited by Skarclaw

Those do look delicious Skarclaw.

Boil in the bag for me though. Less mess. Really want to try some of the US rat packs and their First Strike rations.

Just to clarify the LWWF are boil in the bag :) If you want to eat them at home you can snip the top off and microwave them. 

I sit next to RM reservist and as such have an ample supply of MOD rat packs but honestly with LWWF I'd never buy any! 

edit:

My only criticism is that for me, one bag isn't really enough for a "proper" meal. I double up + rice. 

Edited by Skarclaw
  • 2 weeks later...

R.e. the cooking.  As mentioned you push all the contents to one end, then fold the bag in half and boil up about half a mess tin (the smaller one) of water with the larger tin on top to increase boiling speed by retaining more heat/steam.  Bag goes in to the smaller tin and in a couple of minutes you're done.  Amount of water required is comparatively quite little that way and you can use the water you've just cooked with to make a brew, which means there's almost zero wasted overall as you're still drinking 80%+ of that water (obviously minus the steam).

Not tried a Jetboil but they are bulkier overall and you can use mess tins for an awful lot.  Probably easier to cook in though, so if you're just camping out at MA or something similarly relaxed it's perhaps a better option.

As I mentioned, It's been years since I've done a boil in the bag so had completely forgotten to do it the proper way.  I was worried it wouldn't heat all the way through if it was all packed together and not evenly spread out.  I see now my fears were unwarranted.  Way more appealing with that knowledge.

The trouble with the LWWF range is that they aren't massive, in fact can seem a little mean, I think they have been produced with the idea you'll have rice, or something along side it. 

EG, their Chilli con carne and curries are just that with no rice so it isn't as filling as you might need. 

Some great grub though and perfect if you want easy good food which only requires a little something extra compared with making something from scratch. Their flavours are strong, so if you're a fussy eater might be worth playing it safe with what you pick. 

• 2 months later...

Can't see why you can't freeze them though.

Minor necro, but it's getting on for camping and weekender season, so relevant.

I have had a chance to try the LWWF meals, and can confirm for those that haven't that they are *fruitcage* delicious. These, along with some home made jerky, will be replacing the MREs I used to buy.

Also, they can't be frozen because it would crack the membrane in the packaging. 

Well, I have ventured out to find some LWWF meals but they are proving tricky to find.  Two big Tescos, nope.  Sainsburys Megastore, nope.  Found a couple in a small Waitrose but not the ones I was after.  Annoying.

• 2 weeks later...