Leather pouches/holsters?

Lowprofile

Hey, I'm very interested in leather pouches/holsters and gear in general (if we could avoid the obvious kink related jokes that'd be great  :rofl:) and any pictures of your gear or recommendations you might have would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers, 

Lowprofile 

I beg to differ. Practically all soviet and chicom surplus is made from corrected grain or finished split leather. Functional as far as leather goods go (though can age badly like finished leather which cracks and delaminates), but they use these methods as they're cheap to produce. They have their own appeal because of their historical significance but if you boil it down to aesthetics, pale when compared to higher grade stuff made from full or even top grain.

To answer the commercial or custom question, honestly. Both. I'm just as interested in say, off the shelf 1911 mag pouches as I am a completely custom set of pouches/gear. I'm really just looking to see if people actually skirmish this stuff, partly because it's more interesting than the 'modern' tactical gear, and partly because I'm on the search for a holster that won't ruin the finish on my nickel plated 1911

Well if you want leather and off belt then you need a shoulder as drop takes up belt space too.

Though really the beauty of leather is you can have a small, simple holster that fits your waist and wraps round your gun.

I have skirmished in a my 1911 holsters that RC made for me and they are great, hold the pistol and are still going strong.

However only thing is, prepare for it to be expensive if you go either custom or off the shelf. A simple 1911 can easily run for £20 plus extortionate shipping from a US shop and even then it will only be a basic one.

'FireKnife'

Speaking of shoulder holsters, I just received this one which I bought from the US.

IMG_20150319_022420.jpg

I took a leap of faith on an otherwise unknown brand (K Holsters, made in Turkey) since the only other similar option was twice the price, a Galco at $140. It's definitely well made. Good stitching, fully suede lined (you'll want a lined holster if you're concerned about finish) and fairly thick. My only complaints are the quality of the materials used. Despite being labeled as "premium quality" it is in fact made entirely of corrected grain so will never be as strong as top or full grain which are the true premium as far as materials go. The edges are painted instead of burnished and the fasteners are plated.

Archived