herosharks new face

heroshark

7 years ago I started a thread about building masks from fiberglass. Since then many masks have been made and I've honed my skills. In particular one mask has really stood out for me and that is my green man.

P1010585_zps6a990342.jpg

P1010587_zps50eee550.jpg

P1010586_zps8753d404.jpg

10551553_823479921018673_324008185595863

Now he's been tweeked a fair few times since I created him to the point I feel I can't do any more. I've been spured on since a recent build I like and it's not worth modding the old mask further so it's time to start again. The old green man shall be retired to a friend of mine. Kind of weird giving your face away.

Here being worn by it's new owner, he happens to have a close enough face shape to mine. Also his gf wearing one of my cast offs (I never liked that mask).

10540361_303682786471952_883110109375327

This guy was mistaken for me at NAE14 when he won it. Kind of a Cinderella type comp, whoever best fit it won the mask. He also got to marry me :) .

10491262_10204109211826537_3404633517246

So the main points I want to improve upon.

>Extend on the guilly hood.

>Do a better sculpt on the face and do the ears too this time.

>Give him more of a smilie.

>Add some texture to the face.

Also not so much of an improvement as I like the paint job, it's something I've added a lot to over time. But I'll enjoy going through that process all over again and hopefully do something that breaks up the face even further.

I usually just post my builds on my FB but not everyone does FB. Plus I can go into a bit more detail here for those that are interested. One last thing before I'm asked. Yes I can and do do stuff for others but. Firstly, I insist on having a face/head cast to start. Secondly it's not cheap, my full face mask builds start at £200. If you want bespoke cheap face/eye protection go to my website or pm me here or FB. I do more customised lower end work that's not on the site to the users requirements just ask. There's plenty of exsamples on the FB https://www.facebook.com/Heroshark .

So firstly, the mold. This first pic will hopefully show you why I insist on using a head mold. Essentially I see no point in cutting corners when your putting so much effort or money into buiding a mask that isn't perfect.

P1020213_zpsaj7jsw2h.jpg

As you can see the variation in the size and shape of these molds. People faces/heads vary a lot. With a mold of the individual you get a prefect cheek weld and the best viewing window from a mask. Especially important with a mask like the one I'm making with such small eye holes. My head is the 2nd one.

P1020216_zpsdmaw0a7p.jpg

P1020215_zpssuogbekn.jpg

P1020214_zpsox2rox6w.jpg

If you want to make your own mask using a mold here is a guide I made on the mold making process.

TBC....

Very cool stuff! Would you mind posting a link to the previous thread? I can't seem to find it, and I'd love any more information on your build process.

Oh dear. Old Shark lives in the archives with his bad attitude and too many emoticons. I'm not sure I want to dig him up.

That mask looks incredible!

I'm not normally one for things like that - usual eyepro and possibly lower face neoprene if up close and personal - but that looks unbelievable.

Everyone raves about your work and rightly so.

This post is no help at all but I had to do it :)

There are so many things I could do as a mask that would be awesome if I had the physical ability and artistic talent to do that kind of work hero.

The boy has a photo of you stood on top of the green man mask at the mall and that amazes me every time I see it.

I will definitely follow the build process!! Maybe one day il have the confidence to try it.

IIRC Devtac do the Japanese Samurai lower face mask, be pricey though.

Aye a nice chap . Me n Dev have chatted a a fair bit. Not to rubbish his work as he does some beautiful gpr and his goggle system on his full mask looks good, but as RC says you wouldn't get a great cheek weld .Great thing about face molded masks you can add details minimally so you don't lose that. You can also make it properly line up to your eye pro.   

There are so many things I could do as a mask that would be awesome if I had the physical ability and artistic talent to do that kind of work hero.

The boy has a photo of you stood on top of the green man mask at the mall and that amazes me every time I see it.

I will definitely follow the build process!! Maybe one day il have the confidence to try it.

You have to break a few eggs ,I certainly have and still do :) . Would love to see that.

So here is the mask that kicked off my want to make a new green man.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.613460138753715.1073741941.288942481205484&type=1

As you can see he has much better facial features than my original green man, and the ears are sculpted. It was my intention to do the ears on the original but I cut that corner as you don't really see them but this new mask is all about pointless and excessive detail. All I've started so far is platting his dredds.

This is the first part of the mask to be made. It's made with epoxy resin and 160 x2 twill weave fiberglass fabric which is very thin light and flexable once cured, but still very strong. It's layed in in steps of fabric so that the highest part of the cheek is 3 layers thick (a bit less than 1mm thick) up to 8 layers (about 2mm thick) . Reason for this is I don't want a big step in the upper section of the mask on the cheek line. I layup the upper section of the mask over the lower jaw piece once its been shaped. The upper part will also be layed in steps so there's a smooth transisition between the upper and lower jaw.

P1020234_zpsxjkfppm2.jpg

P1020233_zps9ul1vfn4.jpg

P1020232_zps4gmg7kcr.jpg

Archived