herosharks new face

heroshark

Yes thats right RC. As I only really make one offs I tend to sculpt the details on after rather than developing a detailed mold that will only be used once and also use twice the amount of materials using negative molding process too. I also find I can work out more of the excess resin working with a positive mold resulting in a lighter mask. This video is a good example of this process.

The layup is 6 layers including the nose reinforcement, the resulting mask is only around 2mm thick at the most and weighs a little over 300g afair. Infact as with the one in this video a lot of my masks have no details added at all and a left with the woven texture of the fabric. This is a throw back of old style hockey mask building including my whole technique tbh. 

• 2 weeks later...

The basic cut was done to the lower, then the upper part of the mask is layed up over the top to ensure they fit together well. It also marks out the line of the upper lip.

P1020237_zpsnvhno7dc.jpg

P1020236_zpspz3hcj0e.jpg

P1020235_zpst3ardal7.jpg

I've missed out pics of the compleatly un-cut upper section but they don't add anything to the info so it's no bother. The upper part was layed up out of twill weave glass once again . But this time the initial layer was 360g and 4 sucessive layers of the 160g ,there was also an extra renforcement layer of 360g in the fore head and 4 very small renforcement layers of 160g at the tip of the nose. Laying the cloth over the nose and into the eye is very hard, no sooner do you get it down in on place it comes up again somewhere else. I ended up laying some cling film over and working it down but this has left me with the imperssions of the fold lines .So now I've got a sanding job. For this I do an initial sand dry it off ,paint it then sand again. The paint helps me find the bits that need sanding.

P1020238_zpsmunl4nzc.jpg

4mm. Thought it looked big.

I've had fragments make it past a pair of mesh glasses I used and it put the wind up me a bit!  

Trying to find the best trade off between gauge of wire and size of holes. I prefer a thicker wire which allows for a larger hole.

Where are you sourcing your mesh if you don't mind me asking? 

Can supply some 3mm if you like that's what's in my regular gear, unless you want meters of the stuff I don't think you'd want my supplier. 

So I painted him . He may not stay like this I might add some bits.  4 greens 3 tans 1 khaki 2 browns 1 grey in the sprays. Some crackle varnish ,and 3 water base paints green brown tan to hi lite the cracks .Pattern was made using masking tape.

P1020254_zps9cksnf4u.jpg

P1020255_zpsjyupb49w.jpg

P1020251_zpsjuuvhkrw.jpg

P1020252_zpsyaavj474.jpg

Next bit was hanging the jaw. This is simply done using thin elastic super glued in place. Starting with attaching the bits to the lower jaw then hooking it up to the upper.

P1020253_zpsy48hjmsr.jpg

P1020256_zps315rpk40.jpg

P1020257_zpsotzcrpfc.jpg

I then fit the hair net. This also works as the strap and is epoxied or super glued in place and held using the mold plug

P1020258_zpsoyfzzlxe.jpg

P1020258_zpsoyfzzlxe.jpg

Last bit is tie the hair in the net, which is pretty straight forward.

IMG_4007_zps5fntdubx.jpg

IMG_4007_zps5fntdubx.jpg

I really like how you've evolved the entire process and design. This is very much something you've wholly come up with yourself. Well done. Quick question, how well does the Milliput hold up against BB hits? I'd imagine the resin reinforced fiberglass has a bit more flex than the milliput.

Cheers bud. I guess I'll find out this weekend . The first green man was made with epoxy putty which was a lot cruder and harder to sculpt which has held up well. I think as the putty is laid so thin an supported by the fibergass is what saves it. I did accidentally throw it on a concrete floor an crack the putty on one side leading down from the cheek where it's most flexible. Fortunately I just ran some super glue in the crack and the damage was completely und noticeable.

Archived