Steel finish on aluminium parts.

AdamWhy

I'm looking to try and get a manganese phosphate finish on aluminium parts.

Basically I have an all steel build customer Inokatsu / WA and want a similar look on an AEG I own which is entirelty painted black.

ABA3BFF0-4336-412F-8584-30830A9533DD.jpg

I'm looking for either a similar process which can be applied to bare aluminium (none that I'm aware of) or a matt metallic dark grey paint?

Anyone ever tried something along these lines?

Thanks

Lately I've been working on an aluminum gun that I have been trying to make look like steel. I used powdered graphite, sold as a lubricant in hardware stores, and buffed it into the aluminum surface with a rag. I just wanted to get a metallic sheen, so very little graphite stays on the surface, but if you gently sand the surface with some fine grit sandpaper, buff with graphite, and then lightly spray with a sealant like any matte varnish, you get a nice dull grey that's pretty close to the color of ARs. This method is pretty commonly used to make plastic guns look like metal and is worth giving a try.

5zbDfUK.jpg?3

I want to make something like that on my GHK  ak bolt carrier, sanded the paint, polished the surface and than i used Aluminum black, you can find it on ebay, if its not polished it will get a matt greyer  phosphate like surface, but I wanted to match it with the ak steel parts.

here is the result:

_SAM1647.md.jpg_SAM1641.md.jpg_SAM1636.md.jpg

Aluminium Black. I've also used it, looks good when first applied, but I didn't think it was particularly durable finish and seem to scratch easily.

But that may have been down to me not thoroughly cleaning the part sufficiently before applying the treatment.

Very costic and noxious stuff so if you do use it, don't skimp on gloves, eye protection etc.. And do it outside or extremely well ventilated area.

Thanks for all your help guys, I ended up making a mix of paints, Metallic silver, matt black and dark grey primer, brushed it on, and flatted it back using 1600 grit, I also used some dark earth Humbrol to add a browny finish on barrel, sight and other parts.

3ACEABB1-483A-42BA-897A-D5A13C127227.jpg

What you think?

Archived