What boots should I get?

edzha90

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, get pro boots. The older type.

Got mine new in 2007, worn for 12 hours straight first time out for a skirmish day. Didn't even need breaking in.

I wore them every skirmish for 5 years, walk the dogs in them every night, camp/hike in them, everything.

They are like slippers, hands down the most comfortable footwear I own.

I get issued altbergs at work, which are amazing, but would rather wear my old boots :)

I personally love the 5.11 XPRT 8" boot. Waterproof right to the very top, cinch system on the laces (super fast on and off), solid carbon ceramic kick toe (personally had a car drive over my foot, material didnt even shatter), side pockets, very comfy once worn in. With little to no maintenance have lasted me on average 3 years.  

I'm sure the 5.11 boots are great but not quite within the £40 price bracket More like £140+ I think for the amount your looking to spend the the pro boots sound your best bet, the only other option that may be available is you could try somewhere like go outdoors or blacks and look for a store brand hiking boot but for £40 I'm not sure just how Waterproof they'd be.

endicotts is another place worth checking out, their customer service is well regarded but it's all surplus gear. 

There is a range of opinions on what boots to get, the pair that is best for you is the right pair. 

I have been there, on a budget and got by with some lowa desert elites for a while - not waterproof and relatively heavy but £30 (second hand). I have recently bought some Salomon 4d Quest GTX boots at £120 with price comparison and they are better value for money for me. Though obviously out of your current budget. 

My advice would be, if you can wait and save do, because boots and comfy feet have a massive impact on your enjoyment and you'll (probably) get better value from them.

If you can't, then check out the boots suggested so far and what you can get cheaply from your local mountain warehouse or similar store. You'll probably have a choice between light weight and waterproof vs quality and length of life but that choice is yours. If you can, try the boots on, if you can't do research on the fit of boots and measure your feet etc. 

They don't have a lining such as goretex, so not truly waterproof. Water resistant as they are leather, but will leak if immersed. Depends if it's a full tongue too.

Why the need for truly waterproof? It can be a hindrance in some cases. For example, if they get wet inside they can take ages to dry out :)

They seem ok, but I won't say for definite as they could be made of leather in a Chinese sweat shop...

As said above, is it urgent, or can you save up some more and get a branded name boot that has a track record for quality and will last?

okay, I need them after a week. Perhaps you can give me an example for boots up to 50GBP as I am lost.

But anyway there is boots up to 200 GBP, but boots are boots.. as we know.

as I born near Sweden and we have proper winters with lots of snow, I bought 'North Face' (if I remember correctly) boots for winter with gorotex, waterproof etc. or whatever it's called which was about 200 GBP (250EUR) and still I had problems with wet boots and so on, so I don't really believe in price..

So, you want a waterproof boot, and yet you have had problems with waterproof boots in the past, and you think a £40 boot will match up to a £200 pair because 'boots are boots'?

Would you wear second hand boots?

Definitely recommend going to a shop and trying on to see how they fit.  I've found boot fit to be somewhat erratic.  I got some bargain boots for £17 from Lidl a while ago.  Seriously comfy and warm with great grip.  I was powering up the hill/mountain of the Schloss Drachenburg in Germany in the ice whilst people were falling on their arses all around me.

Archived