What boots should I get?

edzha90

I recently picked up a pair of Corcoran jump boots that I'll be wearing for everything (casual, riding, and airsoft) and so far (having only worn them about the house today) I am very impressed with the quality and fit  

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless they've not been worn, don't get second hand boots. They'll mold to your feet, and thus the feet of the previous occupant.

I've got a pair of Magnum Mach II's on right now that I bought for boot runs and by the gods they're comfortable. (retail around £80 and lighter than my running shoes)

UK issued black boots are like little bomb proof hugs on your toes if you fit them right - try different lacing options and you'll be grand. (retail dirt cheap, but take some doing to get them just nice)

Keep in mind GTX doesn't work if you get water in the top of the boot... a pair of decentish boots and some gaiters will keep you dry.

Earlier on in the thread I suggested taking a look at Karrimoor. 

Since then, I've heard that Karrimor have been purchased by Sports Direct and that (anecdotally speaking) the quality has gone down.

Saw my brother over the weekend and he complained that the Karrimor spiked running shoes he had were a bit disappointing in that the threading for the spikes was a bit off. 

Yours in critical consumption, 

Earlier on in the thread I suggested taking a look at Karrimoor. 

Since then, I've heard that Karrimor have been purchased by Sports Direct and that (anecdotally speaking) the quality has gone down.

Saw my brother over the weekend and he complained that the Karrimor spiked running shoes he had were a bit disappointing in that the threading for the spikes was a bit off. 

Yours in critical consumption, 

The reason the army is moving away from brown boots is due to poor suppliers.

Altberg are renowned for quality boots - so when they won the contract to produce brown boots for dem gov'ment boys they lept with joy.

And couldn't meet the quantity demands. Short term fix: outsource. Producing substandard boots that were nothing like the actual Altbergs of old. So the army has a legion of soldiers with no shoes. (literally, mine have been on order for TWO YEARS hence self bought)

So, as that great rock outfit/drunk and drug addled lady sang - Back to Black

They have the Lowa Z-8S GTX in my local shop, and I covet them, but I'm not sure I want waterproof boots anymore.  When I used to do surveying back East, I'd occasionally step in deeper than expected muck and get water down inside the boot, which would then remain full of squishy cold water until I took it off and dried it.  

My favorite for the past few years is the long-discontinued Timberland jungle boot paired with Merino wool socks.  I've crossed streams and swamps with them several times, and while my feet do get wet immediately, they also feel dry within a few minutes hiking.  Granted, this is Southern California and I haven't waded in anything colder than light jacket weather.  

You wouldn't think something as simple as a pair of boots would be so complicated! 

Boots? Easy? As far as I'm concerned good footwear is your most important piece of gear, aside from maybe eye protection. And due to people's feet being as different as night and day it's often far from easy to pick the right one...

Boots? Easy? As far as I'm concerned good footwear is your most important piece of gear, aside from maybe eye protection. And due to people's feet being as different as night and day it's often far from easy to pick the right one...

This, and also the fact that no one boot covers EVERY condition one will be to. The situations are different on boat deck, forest trail and city street. Sure, you can get a boot that does adequately in each, but you'll have to rememebr that it'll be at the lowest common denominator for ALL situations, and not the best you could get for specific situations.

Archived