Orion 12 Gauge Launcher (Flare Pistol)

renegadecow

I'm not really sure why I'm even making this though I think part of it has to do with playing too much Stranded Deep lately. I'm not sure if the real flare pistol is legal to own without permits locally but either way, I can't find any being sold anymore and the last time I did they were being passed off for something like $200. So off I go and make my own. This will be a fairly simple and quick build which I'm treating more like a break from working on that damned GM-94 (still working on that, just forgot to update it recently).

Anyhow, here's what's been done so far:

Basic frame structure and barrel using PPS shells

IMG_7030.jpg
IMG_7031.jpg

Breechface

IMG_7033.jpg

Barrel hinge and cosmetic detail

IMG_7034.jpg

IMG_7035.jpg

The barrel is only 3" long which leaves me about 1/2" of extra space to put in an inner barrel which I wont be bothering to put in anymore for obvious reasons. The PPS gas shells are pretty weak but at least they're cheap and differ from the original Tanaka design in that the front part holding the bbs is molded as one piece with the hull so I don't need to brace that area when firing.

The trigger mechanism will have to be a direct plunger type as the valve button is held closed with so much force that using a conventional hammer system would need a really stiff spring to open it. Instead I'll make the mock hammer cosmetically fall as the plunger is pulled. Another issue with the shell valves is that they're so hard that pushing them slightly defeats the spring tension holding the breech/barrel closed. I'll need to design the plunger so that it partially locks into the shell itself as it pushes on the valve.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flare guns can be scary when you see someone point one at your glass fibre boat.... Or a Zodiac.

They were hilarious in that way-old FPS, Blood, where you could even -dual wield- them. And the enemies you hit would smolder for a moment, then burst into running, flaming torches... :D

Good news! My trigger and breech lock design works well even with the shell's hard valves.

IMG_7036.jpg

On the other hand, now that I'm able to fire it through a chrono properly, the performance is abysmal: 48fps with .25g! While better shells will resolve this, I've decided I ought to make a sleeve looking like Orion's longer flares (still a 12g) which holds maybe a 2 1/2" barrel at most.

10060190.jpg?is=500,500

Because I live in the world's armpit.

And suddenly things get serious.

I really need help on this one. Does anyone have an idea how I can make the flare gun play the chorus to "Firework" whenever the hammer strikes? I'm poor in electronics other than soldering so was hoping there's an off the shelf MP3 player with built in speakers that's small enough.

What's the budget like? You might find something from various speaking dolls, althought changing the stored sounds for those might require special tools and knowledge. But if you have more funds to spend, there are some pretty easy-to-configure sound chips for light saber makers.

I had a toy lever action rifle that ejected shells and had an electric sound control and speaker that went off with every trigger pull.  Might be worth trying to find something like that and get an electronics person to change the sound effect.  I still have the circuit board, speaker and trigger button somewhere.  I would sent it to you RC but I don't know how much use it would be as the reason I took it out was it stopped working.

I finished the dummy hammer just to finalize how much space is available for the theoretical MP3 player. As you guys can see, there's not all that much space to begin with; AA battery to scale which is also how wide the frame is. I was hoping there'd be some kind of DIY kit for putting into stuff like Hallmark cards.

IMG_7039.jpg

IMG_7040.jpg

You need an indiegogo or kickstarter to set you up producig small batch stuff. Use the money to get a workshop and tools. I know I would back you.

How much would it cost me for you to make.me an over under shotgun that would use goblin deuce shells?

Well that or a rich patron to keep you in crossplay costumes and anime in exchange for awesome guns.

Ok for the soundboard.

These guys can make you one but 350-500 activations only.

http://www.soundexpressiongreetings.com/musical-greetings/sound_modules.html

They also offer kits for diy recording and building.

Archived