TM P226 metal kit miss fire

curlyboy

Odd thing I have a TM P226 with a prime (I think) metal kit fitted, it has 150% hammer and recoil springs fitted also, the issue I have is when I fire the gun the first round goes fine then it misses a couple of rounds the slide moves etc then it will shoot again.

I use the mags in my stock TM P226 and they have worked fine for years so no issues there, I have tried putting the stock springs in and the same issue happens.

The muzzle looks fine what else could it be?

Thanks for any suggestions

Curlyboy

On those shots (where you see nothing coming out), can you try to see if the bb is rolling out of the barrel as the slide returns to battery. That happens sometimes, but not always noticed. All you may notice is that it does not fire that bb (if that made sense!!)

You do have to be a bit wary of what recoil spring is used sometimes. It needs to be balanced against the weight of the slide.

Sometimes, the slide can return to battery too fiercely, to the point it causes the bb to be chucked past the hop and it rolls out of the barrel.

I've often found when changing over to a metal slide that a 120% is better.

I have never had any BBs roll out of the gun it either fires them or not?, the gun has had this issue since it was modded a few years ago but got put aside for other things so has had no real use.

I will look at changing the hammer and recoil springs but I have changed just the recoil for a stock one and it made no difference not sure if changing the hammer as well would help but must be worth a try.

Curlyboy

Swapping both the springs back to normal is the first thing to try.

If the problem still persists, see how freely the slide travels along the frame.

If your gun is moving very freely, but not firing rounds, then the problem lies in the hop/barrel, or the nozzle.

If all of those are fine, then it's just that the gun isn't quite cycling enough to function as it should, which is an easier fix.

Also check the nozzle, how much movement it has, and how decently it springs back into place.

Also pull the slide back as slowly as you can and see what the nozzle does as the slide heads back.

not sure if changing the hammer as well would help but must be worth a try

Using a strong hammer spring requires more backward force for the slide to cycle - if your pistol cannot generate the force required to pull the slide and nozzle back properly (e.g. as mentioned a few times above), your nozzle/cylinder might "stick" resulting in a failure to load the next BB. Stronger springs, more force needed to cycle.

Stronger springs may also slow the timing of the knocker lock, which the pistol is not designed to do (causing a lot more problems). On the Marui P226, the timing of when the knocker lock is engaged is not something you want to throw off. Most of the common aluminum slides with the stock springs shouldn't throw off the timing too badly, since they are just not that heavy (relatively)...assuming they are assembled correctly.

Are you getting appropriate power levels on that first shot? It's possible your pistol might have some sort of systemic problem that you can't visually observe (bad piston seal, rocket valve problems, worn down magazine gas routers, etc.). Or the metal kit was simply not installed correctly.

I will need to get some stock springs and try them in it, I think maybe the nozzle is fine as it returns ok but can't really see when the gun cycles.

The power when it does fire is fine with nothing rolling out it just seems to miss a round every other or so.

Will try the springs first and report, thanks for the help.

Curlyboy

Archived