Marui 1911 not firing

harborne blue

I've got a Marui 1911 in a Guarder metal kit... 

It wasn't firing more than a couple of shots so I assumed it was the GBB vs the weight of the slide. I've added hi-flow valves which seem to have a firmer knocker valve and now it does nothing - just clicks.

Mags are fine and fire sweetly in my other metal 1911s.

Any ideas? The hammer springs are 150% upgrades as is the slide spring as the std ones would not cycle. Is it the hammer?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a tuff one. It should be shooting more then a few shot with the standard valves. Was it venting gas with the standard valves in the mags? It's sounds like the knocker is not making strong anuff contact to cope with the higher pressure with the high flow valves, which is another issue. You have 150% springs already so it might be that the hammer is being restricted some how, maybe the middle sear spring is putting to much pressure on the sear not allowing the hammer to move freely or the knocker could be faulty? It's so hard to diagnose with out seeing first hand. Did you build the gun yourself?

I think it's the valve knocker. It's moving forward when I pull the trigger but not far enough or with enough force to activate the valve. Tried it with a cheap ACM mag that's got a very light and leaky valve and it fired but only once.

Valve knocker worn out / faulty? Does upping the hammer spring put extra strain on this part?

Yes it will, as it hits it harder.

I'd rather use a high flow mag valve than a stronger hammer spring. A stronger hammer spring increases trigger pull weight and increases wear on the sear.

The knocker may well be worn / damaged. You'll need to take it out and have a look.

• 4 weeks later...

You sure you got the spring on the valve knocker on right, the one that pushes it down into alignment?

The knocker is definitely clicking forward, so I assume so. Checked and double checked and can feel it clicking forward when I pull the trigger so it's all a mystery.

Will try some silicon and see if that helps as well as swapping the trigger mech with one from another 1911... Any other ideas, guys?

Remove the slide completely. Insert a mag, and fire. If gas comes out of the mag, hey presto. It should vent most if not all of the gas.

You can eliminate the slide being the issue that way

Definitely not the slide - tried the above during the (re) build and definitely not venting any gas.

Take the slide off and without letting the hammer down, put the mag in. Look from above and either take a pic or describe the position of the valve knocker. Then gently let the hammer down and see how the knocker is doing again. My guess is it's just glancing off the valve and pushed up.

Take the slide off and without letting the hammer down, put the mag in. Look from above and either take a pic or describe the position of the valve knocker. Then gently let the hammer down and see how the knocker is doing again. My guess is it's just glancing off the valve and pushed up.

+1 

Quite possibly the case.

Trouble is, these things can be hard to diagnose without the gun in your hand..

I've checked the slide by fitting it to another 1911 and it's shooting fine. So that rules the slide out.

Checking the firing pin on both guns - using the scientific method of shoving my finger in and pulling the trigger - they seem to whack out with the same force so I'm thinking that the pin is glancing off rather than striking the valve square on.

If this is the case how do I fix it? Assume I need to get the trigger mech back into bits but what should I look for / do?

Thanks again for the help so far, guys.

Archived