Marui 1911 not firing

harborne blue

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the mag a good tight fit?

In the past I've known the mag catch to wear causing the mag to sit slightly low and give issues. Seen it often on Glocks with the plastic mag release as well.

^ This.

Try a several things:

- try a different magazine catch

- try a different valve knocker spring

- try a different valve knocker

- try a different disconnector set

- try a different hammer

I can guarantee you that you will eventually fix your problem if you do all the above. I have had this problem before and it ended up being my valve knocker spring. I noticed that the one I was using wasn't as stiff as the new(er) one I replaced it with. If it wasn't for this experience I would have never believed that particular spring could ever cause problems unless you had it installed incorrectly.

But try the magazine catch swap first.

I've checked the mag release and it looks fine - was from a brand new donor MEU and the mags sit tight. Firing the gun with the slide off, I can see the mag move slightly forward when the knocker strikes but this doesn't look like the issue.

I think the issue is the knocker. It moves fully out and at speed so I don't think it's a friction problem. However, it's only giving a light strike on the mag valve and it deflecting downwards. I've replaced the knocker and the actuator so could it be:

(1) The knocker valve spring not being strong enough;

(2) Wear and tear on another part causing the knocker to mis-hit;

(3) Something else?

If it's (1), what's the best way to fix it? I can't seem to find a stronger replacement.

If it's (2), I assume that I must have done something wrong when I rebuilt the gun?

Take the valve knocker spring out and bend it in the opposite direction that it's supposed to work to give it some extra tension. If the stronger valve knocker spring still doesn't work, try examining the angle the magazine is in relation to the valve knocker when it strikes. If the knocker slides down after striking the flow valve then perhaps the grip can be shimmed with tape on the inside to change the angle the magazine sits once it locks into the mag catch. If that still doesn't work consider examining your hammer strut, it could be more bent than usual causing it to underutilize the hammer spring.

Finally got a couple of hours piece and managed to totally strip the gun again... 

The problem seems to be that the valve knocker is flopping around - it pings forward when the trigger is pulled but deflects up and off the valve. Without a mag in, it fires forward then flops around and down like a dogs dirk.

I have checked this against my rock solid ACM m1911 clone and the knocker comes out like a rocket and is rock solid so there's clearly something not right with the Marui. I can't see anything that should be there on the TM to hold knocker true when fired so suspect that either a small part flew out when the gun failed or something in the frame is broken.

Heeelp! 

http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/gallery/album/2243-meu/ 

I've replaced all the springs in the gun, literally every one with upgraded versions. It's a new steel knocker as well. The pics in the gallery show the knocker in Fired Position (1 and 3) and what happens when there's a mag in (pic 2) - the knocker flips into the gaps between the mag valve and body.

It feels like there's * something * missing that holds the knocker in place and I'm stumped. Totally. According to this pic http://s290.photobucket.com/user/dstiltner/media/TM1911ExplodedPartsDiagram.jpg.html 

I am not missing any bits.

I can't find a clear pic of a lower frame on the interweb but I think a piece of this must have broken off?

I am about to give up with this darn thing... 

Stripped it again, alongside a work m1911 and worked out that the valve knocker spring wasn't set in properly. Re-seated this and the knocker now flies straight and true. However... 

The <fruiting> thing still won't fire!! So unless anyone else has any ideas I am going to:

Swap out the enhanced hammer spring the std one;

Try again;

Swap out the mag release for a new one;

Try again;

Take to skirmish / fling in parts box.

The slide is great and slips onto another gun I have to it may be time to cut my losses... ?!

If you have other 1911s I would try swapping the parts completely. If that doesn't work then you know it's the frame that is messed up and not anything else.

Do you think a hi capa knocker valve would fit? They look different because they have extra material on the top of the knocker prong.

Thanks - that's the plan I think. The hammer spring is fine and the slide slips onto another 1911 I have with no problems. The gun did fire when I first built it but I wonder if there's a small deviation in the lower frame that's meaning that the knocker pin, with even slight wear, isn't hitting the valve square on / with enough force.

Time will tell and I'm definitely not buying a Guarder kit again... 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I wanted to say thanks for all the help with this one guys as I'VE ONLY GONE AND BLOOMING WELL SORTED IT!

Having tried all the fixes above, I just when mad and ordered steel replacements for all the external gubbins and it turned out to be the mag release! I'd tried two from my other 1911s and they made no difference but a creation steel one seems to have fixed it. I also took out the hi-flow mag valves I'd fitted as the springs in these were stupidly hard and would not work in 2/3 other 1911s.

Now in the process of fitting it all back together as I didn't like the new trigger and the steel hammer needs fettling to cycle smoothly. Pics WILL be up soon!

Archived