So explain this Royal marine with an M16?

Lowprofile

Airsofter? Re-enactor? Poser? I have a hard time believing anyone specified a modern military weapon with a shiny chrome barrel.

Unless you can specify the provenance of the photograph beyond 'it was put on a now-defunct social network in 2007', it's pointless guessing.

The reason those look like M16s is they are M16s - USMC M16A4s owned by the USMC Shooting Team, to be precise. The photo documents the military equivalent of a school exchange trip.

I'm sticking by my initial assessment of the first photo, anyway. I don't think that gaudy thing is a military weapon. And if it's not a military weapon, it is highly unlikely that the person holding it is a genuine Marine.

So I dunno if you checked this already but doing a reverse image search shows it being the profile pic of an airsofter from Nebraska: http://www.airsoftretreat.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=14690

So perhaps it's just him and his load-out in the picture.

Looks like he's possibly on here and active, so ask him: http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/user/33865-revenge-seeker/

It says he's from North Korea in there, but it also says he's 104 years old so, yeah I dunno.

Troll of trolls right there!

That facet was if there would be a shiny silver barrel out in public view; not if that was rare .308 with a curved mag.

Silver barrels aplenty during the trial no?

AFAIK the competitors in the sharpshooter trials were the LM308MWS (7.62), HK417 (7.62), SCAR-H (7.62), XR-10 (7.62) and unnamed entries from KAC (presumably an SR-25 variant, also in 7.62) and Oberland (presumably an OA-10 variant, again in 7.62). I think the pictured gun is definitely not chambered in 7.62x51mm; the magazine's all wrong for that. I suppose it could be chambered in one of the alternative calibres that can use STANAG magazines (.300BLK, for example) but the law of averages suggests it's almost certainly 5.56x45mm - which means it's unlikely to be one of the sharpshooter trials guns. That correlates with what darkchild130, who was actually there, is saying.

I think I'm right in saying that while there might have been unfinished barrels at the trials, the production L129A1s have a dark surface finish. I didn't know about the SAM-Rs with their polished barrels, though.

Archived