The most Advanced Airsoft Grenade in the World!

bettyblue84

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there is quite a lot of work still going on refining the design of the grenade. After some test firings they have discovered that the levels of contamination from powder residue on the open coil / pcb design were likely to be an issue. Also as suggested the tiny primer adaptor would be easy to lose. Initially they were looking at some kind of retention system. However when trying to add a labyrinthine gas path to prevent hot gasses being ejected directly they figured that it would be better to simply design two bases. One for shot gun primers and one for 9mm blanks. Backers will get the option, once the bases are designed, to choose which they want. There will also, in time, be alternate bases available so you could get the other one to which ever you get with the grenade itself. 

Other things being looked at include some kind of protective cover for the coil / electronics and a mounting point either as a carrying mount (threaded hole / carabiner clip / QD sling socket) or possibly booby trap securing mount point. 

There is a lot more info on their Facebook group (which is where I have culled all the above from)

Delivery is now moving out to September but they are communicating well with folks and keeping people updated as to what is going on and why.

• 9 months later...

I'm not 100% sure, but there was a hint of around of the next 2 months.

They have redesigned a few bits and let down by suppliers who promise they can deliver something and then drop all communication but it comes to getting the production sorted. Very close now.

• 7 months later...

They are finally getting closer to actually delivering these. They have a new website and a store where pre-orders can be placed for July delivery. http://mas-g.molyneux.systems/MAS-G.php Not involved with the company just an indiegogo backer. Backers should get the pre-release grenades at least a couple of months before July according to their Facebook page.

Latest update of the features of this are:

0-9 Second user settable delay in all modes.

Zero-G 'In flight' arming.

Impact detection.

Virtual Infra-Red Trip wire.

Waterproof to 30m.

Remote Detonation.

Mobile App for configuration.

Data Logging for game statistics.

High intensity flashing red LED and sounds for locating the MAS-G after use.

Multiple 'Quick Change' smart Base options including: LED Disruption , Blank firing .209, 9mm with more to come. Each Base remembers it's configured mode and will automatically deploy in that mode when attached to the grenade.

There will be an IR remote to arm / disarm the grenade when it is used in "mine" mode. This wont allow remote detonation. This a feature which will be available later through a rail mountable remote firing unit.

• 7 months later...

I check in with these guys every now again.  It looks like a total *suitcase* show.  No chance these are getting released.  £190 RRP...Utterly batshit insane.  I don't know about the most advanced airsoft grenade but certainly the most expensive airsoft grenade in the world.

I don't know if they really don't know what they're doing or are just really unlucky.  It's rather ominous they're adamant it's going to make it to market.  Completely delusional.  Pretty sad though.  It looked really cool

Anyone other than Mike on here that have most certainly lost their money?

I check in with these guys every now again.  It looks like a total *suitcase* show.  No chance these are getting released.  £190 RRP...Utterly batshit insane.  I don't know about the most advanced airsoft grenade but certainly the most expensive airsoft grenade in the world.

I don't know if they really don't know what they're doing or are just really unlucky.  It's rather ominous they're adamant it's going to make it to market.  Completely delusional.  Pretty sad though.  It looked really cool

Anyone other than Mike on here that have most certainly lost their money?

I backed it, but knowing that I was backing a project, not buying a product, which some people seem to think that because they paid for it, it was a guaranteed thing..

That's the joy/ danger of kickstarter!

Yeah, they're responding.  It seems to be hemorrhaging features so if it does somehow make it to market by some miracle, it will be a shadow of it's original concept. 

They're looking for another £42K in funding...Whilst at the same time ordering some components it seems.

https://www.facebook.com/molyneux.systems/

I've lost track of the issues but it seems they had issues with parts suppliers, changing designs e.t.c.

• 3 months later...

I've been keeping an eye on this as, having tried a few 'advanced' grenades, I always go back to bangers and smokes. They're cheap, they work, you can throw them any way you like at, into, on, over and under things and don't then spend the rest of the day looking for it in a bush... 

What I liked about this were the features to re-locate it.

What we're seeing now is how Kickstarter etc. hide what's been known to investors for years: 99% of great ideas never get anywhere, when practicality comes into play.

If this comes to market, with the advertised features then I'm in. But I won't hold my breath... 

The original pricing (which was about £45 per grenade, IIRC) always seemed ludicrously optimistic to me. Even a SWAT VTG is £80 these days and that’s got one moving part. The too-good-to-be-true price was the first thing that stopped me supporting the project.

The second thing was the actual firing mode. IIRC it was originally designed to take proprietary electrically ignited inserts, when every single British airsofter out there actually wants to use 9mm PAK/.380R blanks.

What is really embarrassing is how much money (£25k+) this project appears to have burned through with so little to show for it. Forget suppliers; suppliers shouldn’t have been involved until the design was complete, which it looks like it still isn’t. It cannot have cost more than £5k to design the changes needed and produce manufacturing prototypes, but (from what I can tell) there’s still no final prototype ready for production. How the guy can be asking for the thick end of another £50k without even a finalised product to show I have no idea...

Archived