Help me out in picking one of the following rifles

direbo

I'm new in the sport. I have done some research in order to buy my first airsoft rifle. So far the candidates are:

A&K Magpul Masada ACR RIS CQB AE

ASG DSA SA-58 OSW

ASG Steyr AUG A3 MP RIS AEG

Elite Force Beretta ARX 160 Elite

I narrowed my options my regarding the price, construction materials, fps, weight and the upgradeability of it.

What I don’t know is if these brands are good or not and also if the spares are easy to get.

All comments will be highly appreciated. I also made a survey that each participant can take in less than 30 seconds: https://es.surveymonkey.com/s/L8XV9Q7

Thank you very much for all your help and advice

Diego

Aside from the Beretta, all other 3 choices are good.

And of course it depends on the game type you are attending, which will determine your upgrades and stuff.

Beretta is the cheapest in construction, poor accuracy, etc. Light and bulky.

SA58 OSW is solid, very accurate, good for CQB and outdoor. Problem is battery space (PEQ), requires large 762  mag pouches, and hard to disassemble in a hurry without accidentally chopping some wires.

A&K Masada has good accuracy, good ergonomics - very streamline.  Not as solid/rigid as the SA58 and not as accurate, and has a weak locking mechanism on the stock.  Battery space is small, but functional.  Takes M4 mags so no big issue there.

Steyr AUG A3 is accurate, good for long range not so good for short, Overall solid-plastic feeling, though barrel is not so rigid but accuracy isn't majorly affected.  Ergonomics not as good as conventional rifles.  On the Heavy side, good outdoor rifle. Takes Steyr mags so is compatible with most M4 mags.  Easy to upgrade/service.

If you are looking for a jungle gun, anything will do really. 

I would go OSW simply because its solid and doesn't feel like a toy.  Steyr is long range, while the Masada is better for short range.

Go with the M4 mag compatible ones, so much easier when it comes to getting new bits for it in terms of price and source-ability.

I would always recommend going with an M4, I know its boring and everyone has them but after market parts are so easy to come by and are generally always compatible :)

Go with the M4 mag compatible ones, so much easier when it comes to getting new bits for it in terms of price and source-ability.

I would always recommend going with an M4, I know its boring and everyone has them but after market parts are so easy to come by and are generally always compatible :)

That is an advantage of m4 mag systems.

The other advantage is webbing and pouches are geared for m4 mags, makes it easy to select gear.

The disadvantage of m4 mag compatible platforms is that so many parts have such wide difference in tolerances it's a hit and miss when it comes to a part that gives it optimum performance.

E.g. If you buy a number of hop up units for m4s and tried them, each one will give a different fps. Same with air nozzles. Motor grips will result in different bevel engagement angles hence different noise and shimming required.

Look up the used marked.

Lots of savings and most of the time you will get sights and mags with it

and still having saved a bundle of money...

And if the sport doesn't turnout to be what you espected

the amount of money you loose when selling your gear are a lot lower.

But for starters go to places where you can rent a gun

for the first few times and see what fits you and the role you want to play

Otherwise I would recommend a ASG Scorpio

Nice internals, quick spring change and an overall quite usable gun for both CQB and a little longer incounters.

Thank you very much for all your answers, each and every one of them have been very useful and illustrative. One thing for sure is that I have already discarded the Beretta ARX due to bad ratings in a lot of reviews. As I get deeper into your recommendations and gun reviews over Evike and Airsoftgi I have found several others that seem to fit my expectations. These guns are the following:

1. ICS L85A2 Rifle
  2. ICS SIG 551 SWAT
  3. VFC SCAR Heavy CQC

¿What do you think of those?

Thank you once again

the L85A2 I have heard really good things about! Because of it being balpup its nice and short for cqb but still has the overall barrel length, and it has a quick change spring.

Personally I wouldn't have a VFC again but I this is because of a bad experience I had with them which you won't necessarily have

I've got the ICS L85A2 and I do recommend it. It's a pretty basic AEG that just works and feels solid. Also, it takes M4 mags and I like the ergonomics. Most of the weight is in the back, so when you're aiming you don't notice the weight that much at all. Something that I personally like a lot about it is that the handguard is very close to the trigger, which I think is very comfortable. It's also a model that you don't see that often in the field, so that could be another advantage for you if you care about it.

1. ICS L85A2 Rifle
  2. ICS SIG 551 SWAT
  3. VFC SCAR Heavy CQC

I would avoid the VFC SCARs.  Substandard motors, mechbox and internal materials aren't great as the usual VFC traditions.   Performance is ok out of the box, but it takes a lot more effort to make it a performance piece.  It is more a replica than a skirmish piece.

ICS are ok, construction and internals are ok also.  Motor is sufficient for M120s, but ICS barrels are not performance pieces and is usually the first thing I replace.  Overall ICS are

The L85A2 is a solid, though a heavy piece.  Its also rear heavy like most L85s and is more difficult to aim while on the move.  ICS does have a unique trigger system on the L85 so its a good thing.  The other thing is that it takes M4 mags, though the ease and speed of mag ejection is no where as fast as a Steyr or a Tavor (comparing bullpups).  Serviced a few, generally not my cup of tea.

551 is a good gun.  I like it , shoots ok, cycles smoothly.  It is solid and possibly the best ICS rifle I have seen out of the box.  Though because the receiver is wider than the pistol grip, there is a tendency to rest the trigger finger out of the mag well onto the trigger guard.  I am not sure if this is just the ICS 55X, but the trigger guard is way too easily displaced (SIGs have a folding trigger guard for use with gloves), leading to accidental firing.  On the Maruis it takes a little more effort to push it aside hence a little safer.   The other issue is the magazine is long and requires AK mag pouches.

All 3 of these rifles are more expensive than the rifles you had selected initially. 

Out of all 6 I would still rate the OSW being the best choice, while Masada being number two and Steyr and ICS SIG would come into 3.

Archived