Replacement part for A&K M249

Stonesour767

I've got a RS upgraded bipod on my m249 so it's a heavy git. The parts at the front of the hand guard, the gas router and the cap that holds it all in place, are now kind of broken but still useable. Does anyone know of anywhere that I can get a replacement that isn't made out of cheap crappy metal. I'll need something like steel so it's strong enough to hold.

this is one of the parts that I need.
http://www.evike.com/products/41452/

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a RS upgraded bipod on my m249 so it's a heavy git.

Just to clarify, are you saying that you have a "real steel" M249 bipod on your airsoft rifle? If so, I'm very interested to hear how difficult it was to fit. I think a real weapon part is the only thing that could stand up to the abuse I dish out.

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the triple post, all. It seems I can't edit my previous post.

My recently acquired Classic Army M249 appears to have a different handguard mounting mechanism than the A&K M249s I've handled. Instead of a forked locking mechanism, it seems the metal bracket (battery compartment?) actually bolts into the gun!

Battery compartment mounting, side

Battery compartment, bolted into the gun

View of the bottom of the battery compartment. The heads of the 4 bolts used to secure it to the M249's chassis are visible.

Close-up on the front 2 bolts

Close-up on the rear 2 bolts

I used bolts from the top portion of a V3 (AK) motor cage, the same bolts that attach the motor cage to the gearbox. I had these lying around from my long-gone Inokatsu Mk43.

While absolutely rock-solid, this means that I have to remove the barrel to change batteries. The process will be a bit more time-consuming than just removing the handguard, but the increased rigidity is well worth it.

I measured the dimensions of the battery space, which came out to be 113mm long x 33mm wide x 38mm tall +/-1mm (factoring in the necessary clearance to remove the barrel). With this amount of space, it appears that I could comfortably run two of these batteries side by side:

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17291__Turnigy_nano_tech_1800mah_2S_20_40C_Lipo_AIRSOFT_Pack.html

I'm not sure if the A&K has a similar design. I do hope this is helpful to any of you who are searching for a solution to the handguard problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived