Artillery

vtsfan

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like a misfire to me, as the shell came flying out without the soldiers actuating any sort of mechanism.

I think he slapped the firing pin somehow when pucshing it in and slapping it.

True, but he'll laugh about it later, I'm sure. What bothered me was the way the other blokes sort of ambled off in a daze. Where is the love?

Id totally agree with you, you can just imagine them saying "oh look there goes speedy...damn thats the third one this week -_- "

Actually it probably killed him, If you look the impact force has ripped his helmet off... the impact area is lower rib cage and gut.... .we are talking major internal trauma here guys. My wife just watched it (She is a cardiologist) and basiclly said that kind of impact would cause the heart to go into a tremor, basiclly a heart attack caused by impact. If that didn't kill him then probably his ribs splintering through his lungs would.

So guys Laugh it up it aint funny you just watched some poor kid lose his life.

Looks like a lower abdominal impact though.

Yes but if you look he is already doubled over, do the same and see where your lower rib cage is. Also the shock wave will travel the the path of least resistance.....to the chest cavity unfortuantly your heart is sat right in the middle of that behind the lungs.

Definitely a misfire...it surprised the cameraman.

He is wearing a vest...

Its an accident and he's in a world of hurt.

The fact he is wearing a vest makes it worse ..... as the force would be spread of the total area.... it wouldn't suprise me if all his ribs had broken and his chest caved in.

Sorry to rain on your parade but when you see photos of major trauma both pre and post op and you hear the stories behind it on a daily basis and you see the effects it has not just to the families but also the medics involved you tend not to find this stuff funny and pitty those whom do.

The spread of force around by the body armor delocalizes blunt trauma much in the same way a seatbelt saves lives. They're designed that way to increase a soldier's chances of survival.

While I don't claim any in depth medical knowledge apart from my first aid training and acedemic knowledge I do know a thing about physics and materials.

I myself didn't find it funny or was I defending the people who did. But I've seen blunt trauma accidents worse than that which people have survived which leads me to believe that soldier may have survived that incident.

The spread of force around by the body armor delocalizes blunt trauma much in the same way a seatbelt saves lives. They're designed that way to increase a soldier's chances of survival.

While I don't claim any in depth medical knowledge apart from my first aid training and acedemic knowledge I do know a thing about physics and materials.

I myself didn't find it funny or was I defending the people who did. But I've seen blunt trauma accidents worse than that which people have survived which leads me to believe that soldier may have survived that incident.

The vest is designed to stop a bullet or ejected casings..... I understand where you are coming from but it's the same as saying a seat belt will protect you from getting hit by a bus. What happened here is not what the vest is designed for.... simple physics experiment.

Hold a phone directory to your chest (Yellow Pages or something of the same size) Then get some one to punch you as hard as they can squarely in thee middle of the book....... you can imagine what’s going to happen.

Now lets take a bullet proof vest and then have some one take a swing at you with a sledge hammer...... it obviously isn’t going to puncture the vest but its going to smash your ribs up real bad. Now substitute the Hammer for the recoil of the breach of a piece of field artillery and you can pretty much guess the results

Maybe you need to swat up on Newton’s 3rd law

BTW: I teach Science at an international school here in Japan.

Seen this trap before.

If you consider the objects in the experiment as rigid bodies with very little information then the forces are very significant. However the human body is not rigid and unlike a sledgehammer the breech of a field gun is designed to decellerate past the peak of the impulse from the shot being fired. Likewise impulse for the impact must be considered.

Soft body armor also is designed with consideration to increase time in the equation for impulse force. Human flesh also is not to be considered as a rigid body, and the ability for flesh to distrobute force as well as other factors such as the weight of the individual must be taken into account.

I believe your proposed model is too simple. In the given scenario all 3 of Newtons laws of motion need to be applied to the mechanics in addition to impulse momentum change.

I don't teach physics but I paid attention in class. And while I was somewhat slow with the numbers I got good grades for applied reasoning.

It is not only a question of how hard the man was hit, but also how the man was pushed.

Actually it probably killed him, If you look the impact force has ripped his helmet off... the impact area is lower rib cage and gut.... .we are talking major internal trauma here guys. My wife just watched it (She is a cardiologist) and basiclly said that kind of impact would cause the heart to go into a tremor, basiclly a heart attack caused by impact. If that didn't kill him then probably his ribs splintering through his lungs would.

So guys Laugh it up it aint funny you just watched some poor kid lose his life.

Well, if you get someone who slaps the primer on an ARTILLERY SHELL you can't expect he would have lived much longer anyway. He probably would have ended up kicking a land mine or something to test if it was working.

Seen this trap before.[/i].

Ok i'm not flame bating or trying to trap you in anyway just debating that this guy is probably dead..

But obviously you are aware of Newton’s 3rd low action reaction.

Now we can assume by the force and speed he was forced back that he was hit hard by a lot of force in a very compact area, also if you watch you will see the breach is only half way before he is hit by it which means he is obviously getting hit at its full momentum he is also hit before the shell casing is ejected also indicating the breach hasn’t fully extended the vest is not going to help him, watch videos of people being shot while wearing a bullet proof vest they get knock off their feet, winded and stunned. Now that energy has to go somewhere and, in this case the human body, now it makes no difference if the person is rigid or not the effects will be the same and the energy as I said before will take the course of least resistance thus resulting in major shock trauma in this case probably causing massive internal bleeding through tissue rupturing, broken bones, probably including the lower back and hips.

Archived