Artillery

vtsfan

No offence taken.

I'm inclined to be a little more positive about the lad's chances of survival. If the various undeterminate factors were on his side then the effect should have been somewhere in between being fatal and being yanked off his feet like a stunt rig, which produces a similar effect.

But as is we have very limited amount of information to go on and no closure as to what transpired after. I'm staying on the side of hope that he survived that.

Although considering the reaction of his colleague in the foreground I admit that the extent of his injuries may have been severe.

Good debate.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No offence taken.

I'm inclined to be a little more positive about the lad's chances of survival. If the various undeterminate factors were on his side then the effect should have been somewhere in between being fatal and being yanked off his feet like a stunt rig, which produces a similar effect.

But as is we have very limited amount of information to go on and no closure as to what transpired after. I'm staying on the side of hope that he survived that.

Although considering the reaction of his colleague in the foreground I admit that the extent of his injuries may have been severe.

Good debate.

Im in agreement with you here....... Im hoping for my own humanity that they guy either came away with that with some huge bruising and a great story to teell over a pint or two. A knowing sods law it normal favours those whom have the odds heavily stacked against them.

Good debate to you too!

Ok IMO:

That guy should have stood to the side of the gun and put the primer in because if it did go off then the gun could have just harmlessly gone off without injuring (or killing) anyone.

Also that field gun was a 50lb gun, that looks huge but its firepower is really neccasary for when in cities or tank destroying.

The guns recoil in that situation spelt instant death because on the end of that barrel where he was standing is basically a lump of steel with holes drilled in, and that blowing back into his chest is very lethal. :)

Night_raven

P.s - was it US or chinese .. i couldnt quite tell

I think it was the U.S.

Did anybody think that possibly it was faked. The guy in the foreground is in a perfect position to cover the gap between the guy and the breech and the gun appears to stop it's recoil at the point of impact. He could have been pulled backwards on a wire that was later editted out. Another thing - could the round have also been a blank so that when it fired it had less force. The fact that they all happily and merrily walk off at the end also proves this was set up to be a funny film rather than serious as they probably thought it would be cut when he went flying.

If I got a .22 pistol and filmed myself shooting somebody in the head, then posted it on a forum, half of the people who saw it would say it was faked. Because that's what people do.

We don't know for sure, and it could well be real.

I've watched it in slo-mo a good few times now, and I'm still unsure. Somebody says something after the round is fired, and it sounds like it's over a loudspeaker, but I can't make it out...

/cue CSI-style montage of doc_newstead's audio laboratory

Seems like a misfire to me, as the shell came flying out without the soldiers actuating any sort of mechanism.

I think he slapped the firing pin somehow when pucshing it in and slapping it.

Very correct there darklite. That appears to be a 75mm shell same one in the ww2 sherman tank. (i own one so I would know but mine is the 76 hi velocity) apparently it was accendlty tripped by a weak firing connector.

Nope I don't think this was faked..... have you ever witnessed a car crash..... the 1st 30 seconds people are confused and shocked and just stand theree with thier mouths open also messing around on a live fire range would result in a court martial.

Going back to fareast's comment "the 1st 30 seconds people are confused"

And also going to "there was no screaming" - if it wasn't faked then i doubt the guy who was hit would be killed instantly and not even he screamed. That and this is the military, they are trained for drills like this and would not act all confused. No matter what country you are from the military trains for this sort of thing. As people say "your training just kicks in" so i'm sure the military wouldn't just stand around.

Archived