Trying to source hen's teeth: M249 dust cover

ardrummer292

Hello all, sorry for the long absence. I sold my trusty Inokatsu Mk43 in favor of a rifle, since I figured I couldn't support the MG habit after switching from active duty mil to college student status. It seems fate has a sense of humor.

I've come into possession of a CA M249 Para, which I am in the process of converting into a UKSF-spec L110. It is, in short, a piece of junk requiring a load of work and parts to get up to spec.

I'm in search of one part, which seems to be very uncommon. It's the dust cover for the M249. Pictures below:

Dust cover present in this picture:

AK-M294-Mk-II-Charging-Handle.jpg

Dust cover noticeably absent in this picture:

Picture003-1.jpg

For those who haven't noticed, it's the flat metal bit with the long shiny wire on top. I know this is just a cosmetic part, but I would really like to find a place to buy one. Anyone got any links, or friends who are looking to offload theirs?

Thanks all.

That looks like an incredibly straightforward piece to make. 

I dare say if you got someone to pop theirs off and stick it on a scanner they could email you that scan so you'd have the exact size and shape to do so.

That would be the route I would pursue anyway, since I have never seen these sold anywhere.

If one was for sale for $50 would you buy it? If so the easiest thing is to buy a new top cover completely.

I did a bit of googling and whilst no definite hits, could prove a useful starting point (assuming you haven't seen already)

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348250

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/USMilitary-33541/MachineGuns-42384/M249SAW-37213.htm?page=2

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived