Stuff of Nightmares

renegadecow

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gunsmithing hall of shame thread!

I could go for some of that, some of my own bodge jobs might even feature!

One of my favourite mucked up guns was one of the old KSC M11 GBBs that went around over the years for £40 second hand. £40 for a GBB with two mags? DEAL! Hell I always forget how bad they are when I see the pricetag.

So imagine my expression when I see one non functioning for £5. Took that so gak damn fast.

When it turned up it would fire a single round just fine, as accurate as any KSC M11 would, good FPS and range yadayada. The issue is that the bolt would just bounce off the breach, resetting the valve knocker and sit there until you cocked it again.

When I took the gun apart, I found something seriously interesting, and worthy of a gun smithing hall of shame thread:

Someone had superglued the outside of the nozzle/cylinder to the inside of the bolt(BBU).

I remember we had one of these threads before? Maybe is was ASB.

I fixed a G&G AFV one time that was running tight, so I decided to check the shimming.

The freaking previous tech used a god damned clock face off of a cooking timer as one big shim. Precisely drilled holes in it to fit under the spurr and bevel gears. It was copper.

I fixed a guys electrical work where he used packaging tape to make all the connections that are supposed to be soldered. I distinctly remember him having no idea why it wouldn't work.

I've been fixing guns for people for 5 years, I'll see if I can remember more.

I had my share of experiences in airsoft tech tough maybe not as extreme as the above:

1. "I have an AK AEG therefore it can do everything the real AK can do!" Then later I had to replace the almost shattered hop-up chamber and punch the inner barrel out of the outer literally because it was stuck from all the rust.

2. "I have just had my friend fix my gun but there is no hop-up for some reason." Well that happens if there is no hop-up nub.

3. "My M14 I got cheap doesn't shoot for some reason..." The D-shaped motor axle had an O-shaped pinion. The latter would not stay in place for some reason... :P

Just now, at the local *ugh* Facebook group:

-guy complains of poor range with his hop up only being good for a few feet using .30g

-I say there's something obviously wrong with the hop and needs to be sorted out

-some guy goes "you need to put an M140-M150 to increase fps/range first before you start touching the hop"

Well, as everyone knows, range is primarily dictated by the pressure of air your gearbox is putting out.  Don't worry about a worn out or torn hop rubber, just whack a progressively stronger spring in there.  Not like it could put any strain on your gun for no reason.

Archived