Opinions on GMR MG theory?

ardrummer292

Regular AEGs with drums etc. vs. a M246 for example? 

To be honest in airsoft there's just no difference, so unless the game accommodates that difference with the rules, i.e. support guns allow higher fps and higher ammo limit, then a normal AEG is exactly the same (if not better) than a light machine gun looking AEG, but ultimately airsoft is a game of simulation, it's more than just about racking up kills, for the same reason we have different loadouts and different guns... it's just cool to hold an MG looking gun to be doing similar role as what the real counterpart does in real life. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest in airsoft there's just no difference, so unless the game accommodates that difference with the rules, i.e. support guns allow higher fps and higher ammo limit, then a normal AEG is exactly the same (if not better) than a light machine gun looking AEG, but ultimately airsoft is a game of simulation, it's more than just about racking up kills, for the same reason we have different loadouts and different guns... it's just cool to hold an MG looking gun to be doing similar role as what the real counterpart does in real life. 

You may have missed the gist of that part of the post.. Stack up a typical M249 mechbox vs. a typical  M4 mechbox. Run the same spring, same ROF and start shooting till one breaks.

Which one breaks first?

You may have missed the gist of that part of the post.. Stack up a typical M249 mechbox vs. a typical  M4 mechbox. Run the same spring, same ROF and start shooting till one breaks.

Which one breaks first?

It doesn't make any difference - neither should break particularly often. The V2 may break after 50,000 or 100,000 or 500,000 rounds, but even a support weapon isn't laying down that kind of fire more than every few weeks at most, not every single game. If the gun will last reliably for many tens of thousands of rounds, then with reasonable maintenance between games it can be used to lay down suppressive fire.

We've been playing a scenario afternoon type day were we have normal skirmish games in the morning and then a single game with multiple objectives running all afternoon, we're playing semi for aegs and only support guns allowed on full auto that seems to actually make lugging around a support weapon worth it and the teams actually use support weapons for their intended role of actually putting the volume of fire down so the riflemen in the team can move to flank the opposition.

semi for aegs and only support guns allowed on full auto

I'm a big fan of using these sorts of rules, even for regular skirmishes. It makes support guns even more useful and allows maneuver elements to actually move. These rules are also significantly easier to enforce than ammo or magazine limits.

I'm coming to the realization that my MG isn't my "go to" gun like it was in the past. I tend to employ it when I know there's a low possibility of CQB or MOUT work, which can be difficult to predict given the layout of my home field. I'm sure my current preference towards rifles is a function of me playing as a rifleman/assaulter for the past few years.

I'm a big fan of using these sorts of rules, even for regular skirmishes. It makes support guns even more useful and allows maneuver elements to actually move. These rules are also significantly easier to enforce than ammo or magazine limits.

I'm coming to the realization that my MG isn't my "go to" gun like it was in the past. I tend to employ it when I know there's a low possibility of CQB or MOUT work, which can be difficult to predict given the layout of my home field. I'm sure my current preference towards rifles is a function of me playing as a rifleman/assaulter for the past few years.

Fire mode is easy to enforce but takes away the experience a bit, as it is with limited magazine capacity you can only take the fight so far before you have to back off.  This gives the time to actually plan and counter attack, give the TLs something to think about.

I only take my MG to games where I know players aren't trained and don't know how to fire and manouvre, so to provide covering fire, or ambush cuttoffs.  My own events I basically use an MP7 and am fairly happy with it as I am usually leading.  However I do have 4 MGs (Para,240b,PKM,MG42). 

Play one legit milsim op with LMG/MMG rules and people will see the value of support weapons. 

Basically it boils down to whether you play milsim w/limited ammo or speedsoft/pick-up games w/flashmags.  By all means use a 249 as an assault rifle if you're playing capture the flag (though why you would do that instead of an M4 with a box mag, I'll never know).  But if you're playing a game where riflemen get significantly less ammo than you, you're gonna be relied upon to provide some support.

Play one legit milsim op with LMG/MMG rules and people will see the value of support weapons. 

Basically it boils down to whether you play milsim w/limited ammo or speedsoft/pick-up games w/flashmags.  By all means use a 249 as an assault rifle if you're playing capture the flag (though why you would do that instead of an M4 with a box mag, I'll never know).  But if you're playing a game where riflemen get significantly less ammo than you, you're gonna be relied upon to provide some support.

QFT. 

Without specific rules for LMGs vs rifles there's just no point. Although... Last sunday I used our team's P* M249 at a walk-on game where the rules where those rules obviously did not exist and there is something very intimidating about a gun able to keep up that volume of fire...

Honestly, I don't see the point. Batteries are much lighter and smaller than air tanks.

I'm also not a fan of HPA weapons, so there is significant personal bias in my assessment.

Im not a fan either but out of all the types of weapons in airsoft an LMG is the only one id P* because of the rate of fire but also the length of sustained fire. But hands down a DG system would win in a heart beat over a P*

MG is the only weapon id consider polarstaring.

Same. I'm not a huge fan of HPA in general but if you're already lugging around the sheer mass of an LMG you might as well have an air tank in your cargo pack. Honestly I didn't really notice the weight and it just adds much more reliability to your system. 

It still has some rough edges but I believe it will be awesome when tuned. 

I don't see why people keeping thinking that m4s with flashmags can invalidate a support gun. Flash mags hold 360 rounds which actually go fast in full auto. Then it's off to reload.

Saws get box mags that hold 5,000, more if you have a friend topping you off. Seeing as machine guns are supposed to provide sustained suppressive fire...the flash mags are going to run out first, not counting down time spent reloading.

If basic high cap riflemen are beating you in the volume of fire department, you need to spam harder. We aren't using real bullets, no need to worry about flinging a few extra balls down range.

That's assuming all LMG/MMG for each person have the same rate of fire, or vice-versa for riflemen.  Plus, reloading an airsoft SAW can't compare to reloading an M4.  And not everyone runs those bulky box mags, some use nutsacks.

Plus, kinda using flashmags as an example for highcaps in riflemen's weapons.  They have box mags for M4s as well...

I think we're just continuing to debate a very old topic here, guys. There are always folks who want or need to deliver copious amounts of automatic fire. The question is whether they're more concerned about realism or convenience.

I keep the muzzle velocity on my rifles fairly low (350 fps with 0.2s), run them on semiauto, and use 68rd TM lowcaps exclusively. This makes for a pretty ineffectual setup for fighting in thick brush, which is why I'll load up the Minimi for that sort of work.

His idea is fine within the constrictions of realism...but since those constrictions are set by one self (or the events you chose to go to), it's a stupid thing to argue. And the video could probably have been 3min long, there's a lot of redundant talk.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see why people keeping thinking that m4s with flashmags can invalidate a support gun. Flash mags hold 360 rounds which actually go fast in full auto. Then it's off to reload.

Saws get box mags that hold 5,000, more if you have a friend topping you off. Seeing as machine guns are supposed to provide sustained suppressive fire...the flash mags are going to run out first, not counting down time spent reloading.

If basic high cap riflemen are beating you in the volume of fire department, you need to spam harder. We aren't using real bullets, no need to worry about flinging a few extra balls down range.

I'm a bit late in this thread since I've been moving for the last week, but this post pretty much sums up my response to the 'use an M4' camp. Midcaps have minimal capacity, highcaps need to be wound, flash mags don't hold nearly as much as I'd like (and still need to be wound), box mags for the M4 platform never seem to be as reliable as I'd like. I consider 10k rounds on-hand to be a minimum for sustained fire, and I don't want to think about how many flash mags that would mean strapping to my torso.

With the A&K box mags for the M60 and PKM I can load up, set it to wind when I fire, and then not have to worry about it across thousands of rounds, and being able to go full cyclic for 30+ seconds is both immensely entertaining and extremely effective at suppression. And I keep paintball pods full of BBs, so when the box runs low, I can dump another 5,000 in and keep going. Airsoft MGs might not have many intrinsic advantages over standard AEGs without scenario-specific rules, but I think sustained volume of fire is definitely one.

I think it depends on where you play. Some scenes (well, most) take their basis in some sort of milsim oriented gameplay. People don't build their small M4's to be rof monster raceguns then, as done in some other places.

Archived