Accurized Webley MK VI

Brigg

post-80387-0-60105000-1437884691_thumb.png

So I finally got myself a WG Webley MK VI. I couldnt resist forever with them coming back into stock in all the HK shops.

Now, all of the sites selling it labelled it as having a "Fixed hopup". This would have been nice, but knowing WinGun, what that really meant was "No Hopup". This of course turned out to be the case. Like so many of their previous models, there is no hopup at all, and a crumby section of rough aluminum tubing they call an inner barrel.

As I fully intend to field this gun as a sidearm however, that wouldnt do at all. And so this is a project I started yesterday. I am going to create a new *actual* fixed hopup chamber using a tanaka style band rubber, and replace the horrible inner barrel with something actually decent.

As of right now Im about 60% finished. The first step was to start making a new forcing cone out of a peice of 7/8 aluminum  rod. using a spin indexer i cut down the diameter leaving material at the top to make the indexing notch.

5FiQx74s.jpg

Slowly the part was formed from the round stock, leaving the 7/8 diameter at the end in order to use for holding when the center was bored out to a tight fit with the inner barrel..

ngVdcBPs.jpg

Once the part was complete, i used a section of good quality inner barrel I had from some old broken aegs that I had taken some useful parts from. the ends were turned down and slowly fitted to ensure no wobbling. (Its not viewable here but theres a shoulder on the inside of the chamber which stops the barrel)

NfBy4vYs.jpg

The tip of the inner barrel was then cut down until it sat perfectly flush with the end of the chamber. Then cut just a slight bit more to recess it a hair in order to prevent the brass from rubbing the cylinder.

HzVch1Zs.jpg

Thats as far as i got for today. Tomorrow I hope to cut the notch for the tanaka type hopup bucking, and drill the chamber for a barrel indexing screw. And that should be that as far as parts. After that it should just be tuning and testing.

Alright. I finished this up this afternoon parts wise. Though testing will have to wait a few days until I can get a new box of C02 capsules as i seem to have run out.

Hopup notch was cut, the hole for the numb drilled and an indexing flat milled out:

XGDfWwNs.jpg

And a hole for a 4-40 set screw was drilled and tapped in the indexing lug of the forcing cone to prevent the inner barrel from rotating:

yUCHOUks.jpg

And thats it for the parts, though they will al;most certainly require some tweaking or redesigning. I'll know once I can test them

azdEErds.jpg

I figure that it's going to be an improvement regardless. Just replacing the cruddy aluminum barrel with a good brass one should improve its accuracy to a degree even without a hopup. The one it came with literally has extrusion marks all down the barrel length.

I must admit the lack of a hop is one of the things putting me off getting a weathered Webley as I don't want just a wall hanger.  There might be a small business in this for those of you who can create the replacement inner barrels with hops if there's a few more like me and Spudgun.

there's a tech who can do allot for the standard WG models in the UK who says he can put a hop into mine using the same method the OP used. Would you be upset if I sent any brits his way?

Well, it would be nice to make money off my own idea but its not like I could stop you.

It's more because shipping a gun to you to mod would be silly expensive and if anyone else wants to do it is all. Plus he guy is happy to talk to people and you may find him a helpful contact in terms of the best tweaks.

He has an interesting suggestion for modifying the power output on a DW using a grub screw that I suspect you will be interested in.

If its the original style Dan wesson, if I recall you can modify the base where the hammer spring sits to receive tension on the spring. That's how people by me have said they did it. But that only works on guns that have hammer struts. Not the Webley or Nagant.

Another way is to fit bushings into the backs of the shells to reduce gas flow.

I got to test the Webley with the new hopup on Friday, and it performed much better then the RedWolf videos showed. The shot did not veer off course or dip significantly. At approximately 100 feet I was able to hit a letter sized piece of paper with no problems. The grouping wasn't exactly stunning, but still a massive improvement from the stock, no hop performance.

I definitely consider it to be a perfectly skirmishable gun now. Maybe not quite as accurate as a tuned Tokyo Marui, but we'll within the bounds of acceptable accuracy.

Also there's no reason to send me a gun for this modification. I would just send you a drop in kit. The disassembly is ridiculously simple. A single screw and pin are all that need to be taken out to remove the cylinder and then barrel.

Archived