Custom gear discussion

Bando

This is a thread for any one who wants to try getting into making custome gear.

To share tips and tricks and if forum rules allow suppliers for materials, ask advice etc.

So im  looking at making a face mask as im sick of being shot in the face lol.

I can't wear the mesh ones that are very popular so i have resigned myself to trying to make one using Kydex.

I have a few questions before i start.

Firstly for those of you who have worked with it can you please answer a few questions for me please.

1. will kydex stop a close shot (site limit is 340ish engagements are point blank some times.)

2. once heated and molded is it flexable or will it snap?

3. can i cut the sheets into shapes or will this affect it negativly before moulding?

i am planning on using 2mm thick kydex for this and will start by making a prototype from card probably.

Please share any ideas you have or any questions you have regarding customer gear.

(i did search for a thread like this but i wasn't able to find one)

I've got a kydex 1.5mm holster that has taken a fair few shots close up.. No signs of damage so you should definitely be good with 2mm.. Also it is relatively flexible after being moulded too.. definitely not brittle. I don't see why you wouldnt be able to cut it into shapes before moulding, makes no odds if its cut before moulding or after as far as I am aware..

OP may want to watch some youtube vids about molding process. Cutting before and/or after molding is fine, even buffing the edges into high gloss finish is OK to do.

My fav kydex guru PhillyEDC not only makes and sells holster but also breaks down every steps of making one.

As a friendly reminder I would recommended trimming unneeded parts before molding, keep them for testing and smaller projects, but also leave some extra on the work piece for trimming to final shape. My experience told me that kydex NEVER wraps exactly how you want it, so leave some material like "bleeding" if you get the idea.

About the strength, the complex shape of a molded pistol holster in fact helps structural strength like what an I-beam does, so in most cases 1.5mm thick is OK, depends how it's shaped and how hard you run your gear. ( IIRC some RS users still managed to crack their RCS holsters. )

If it's simple shaped mask ( I'm thinking lower part of the good old "Sensei Mesh Mask" ), it would work with 1.5mm and may even allows some flex for cheek weld.

But in certain conditions, i.e. being hit hard like punched or sat on, it WILL crack.

• 4 months later...

I'm in the progress of molding my lower mesh mask

It is to be molded a top to fit my Goggle

so I have had to remove the piece of fabric

I have tried with a glud gun to glue it back on

but it won't stay there properly.

Can any one recommend some type of glue for the job

or should I try with some hotter glue?

Currently usin a glue gun with 20W capasity

know you can get 40W but is it any different?

Archived