90's to modern gasmasks with BB protection?

Lone_Bullet

I was wondering if you guys could get me started with gasmasks.

I'm not aware of any models or even brands, but I 'm looking for a gasmask.

Gasmasks with preferably a wide field of view with ANSI rated BBproof glass ( or can be easily modded, I have no good acces to tools ) and if possible the possibility for a righthanded cheekweld.

Left handed tubing of filters I like. Drinkingstraw for my camelbak, also nice.

I'd prefer a real one btw, not the gutted repro with ventilations and flexible plastic.

Google does share a LOT of pictures, but no real info on them.

Thanks!

I have seen numerous British S10 respirators modified for BB rated plexi lenses. From what I remember you just pop off an O ring and pop the old lenses out to replace it.
The canister is on the left hand side so it'll be 'alright' for a RHS shooting (but you'll suffer from a proper cheek weld with all face wellies on regardless...).

Regarding the camelbaks, I know you can get special adaptors to make them work with the respirator, but it is definitely not cheap!

The good news is,a real surplus S10 shouldn't be too expensive as there's a massive amount of surplus ones floating around!

MCU 2p

MCU 2ap

Doesn't fog. Canister can be mounted on either cheek. Excellent field of view.

Has a drinking straw, and you can get a camelbak adapter for it.

Comes with 2 outer shields. Clear/tinted. Not sure if they are ansi rated.

But I have tested it with 500+ FPS point blank hits. Additionally it has an inner layer. And I can't believe anything on the field would go through both layers.

Should be able to pick one up for £50 from eBay.

You can select which side the filter goes on S10s, but the part it attaches to is still kinda bulky. An alternative to that would be a Russian PMK. There are 3 versions (1-3) but only the first one has a dedicated left side filter so a right handed cheek weld can come up very close. 2 and 3 are similar to S10s. The lenses are extra wide compared to the older GP-7, but they are curved making it slightly harder to replace the lenses. Some come with ballistic outserts, but personally I get better peace of mind replacing the whole lens with polycarbonate than leaving the old glass ones in.

Thanks for the suggestions!

As for why gas masks don't come with ANSI rated lenses I think I've found 2 reasons:

- Practically any ANSI rated kind of plastic, poly-stuff, degrades rapidly when in contact with harmful and weaponised gasses, making the lenses very brittle. So they have no use, really. It's why they use glass.

- When shrapnel flies in your face protecting your eyes is one thing, it renders the gas mask useless since gas will penetrate the torn rubber anyway.

Making own inserts it is, thanks !

Thanks for the suggestions!

As for why gas masks don't come with ANSI rated lenses I think I've found 2 reasons:

- Practically any ANSI rated kind of plastic, poly-stuff, degrades rapidly when in contact with harmful and weaponised gasses, making the lenses very brittle. So they have no use, really. It's why they use glass.

- When shrapnel flies in your face protecting your eyes is one thing, it renders the gas mask useless since gas will penetrate the torn rubber anyway.

Making own inserts it is, thanks !

It does surprise me there's nothing in the line of commercial respirators sold for industrial use, or use in other civilian settings.

MCU 2p

MCU 2ap

Doesn't fog. Canister can be mounted on either cheek. Excellent field of view.

Has a drinking straw, and you can get a camelbak adapter for it.

Comes with 2 outer shields. Clear/tinted. Not sure if they are ansi rated.

But I have tested it with 500+ FPS point blank hits. Additionally it has an inner layer. And I can't believe anything on the field would go through both layers.

Should be able to pick one up for £50 from eBay.

Any links to ones that will ship outside of the US? Because I can't find any.

When I posted I had a quick look and couldn't seen much on eBay.

I had a game where I used it a few months ago and someone asked me about it then, I looked at eBay then and there were quiet a few for a reasonable price.

I think it's just a timing thing and worth checking every now again

Okay, I figured out that that any kind of game in a gasmask is neigh on impossible if you're not trained.

Darn it, I was looking forward to it, being a bit of protection as well in CQB. A extra layer of rubber, you know?

Looks like some sort of closed loop helmet would be better, if ventilated well enough, but then you'd get no cheek weld.

I'm simply looking for trouble now, am I not?

I've used them all day in CQB environments. I'd agree with Tquilha in that they can be very hot and uncomfortable.

But it's a compromise between protection and comfort.

I'll use the gas mask in very close sites with very intense gameplay. In more fibua sites which are less intense I use shooting glasses and sometimes a mini lower mesh mask in a lower half balaclava/neck tube thingy.

Playing with one is uncomfortable.

Playing with one with a filter on needs training (particularly with your respiratory system).

Just use it without a filter or a filter that's been gutted and suck up the icky sticky feeling. Best part is that a properly functioning gas mask will almost never fog even in tropical environments.

If you really want to play with a gas mask, there is a little bit of diy that can help a lot.

Get a mask that takes NATO 40mm filters, and an expired filter. Cut off the top of the filter carefully, remove ALL the inner parts of the filter and clean the metal case thorougly.

Replace the inner bits of the filter with a small fan and a battery and replace the top. It's a very simple circuit and will provide you with constant fresh air.

Note: you may have to take out the inlet valve on the mask, which will basically destroy it's function. It will be good for airsoft only.

:)

I've heard good things about the GSR replicas sold by airsoft world. You can swap between mesh or polycarb lenses and the dummy filters have fans in them to stop fogging

Edit: the link might help

http://www.airsoftworld.net/world-exclusive-gsr-gas-mask-replica.html

I too have an S10 you can have for postage.

Has two unopened (very out of date) cannisters and the DPM haversack.

Actually the design is in a way that when you want to line the gun up with your cheak, even with both canisters on the gun stock will fall between the gap of the canister and the visor, if it makes sense.

I have used them plenty of times during training, just hard to remember you have big chunky thing on your side that you cant see..

Archived