Doing pushups til you *fruitcaging* die

Hardcore1-6

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, so I can do about 3 sets of that.

Except the squats, I can do a billion air squats.

Thanks for the advice Skarclaw, I looked at weight lifting shoes but they all have a heel meaning less flexibility is needed.

It is about the same as having a 1.25kg plate under your feet.

I want to be able to do it "barefoot", no belt, no straps etc.

I have been using chalk for my heaves because the bar is shiny and slippery but as my grip strength improves I hope to stop that too.

Basically I have this belief that if I can't do something in my normal clothes then I can't do it.

It's like martial arts, you practice for years barefoot in pyjamas on a mat and if you get in a real fight you are in jeans and shoes on asphalt.

Nothing feels right.

I know that with proper shoes I'd be more stable with slightly raised heels which would mean I can lift more.

It just feels like an exploit.

Stunt - look into 'minimalist' or barefoot shoes, such as vibram fivefingers, merrel gloves, vivobarefoot offerings or the like.

p.s. your workout playlist is... interesting...

I have barefoot shoes, they are Merrel somethings that are also about a size too big.

I use them in the gym.  For everyday use I have steel toed wellies and boots and I usually wear a trail running shoe like a fellraiser or roclite 295.

It was Jade's turn with the stereo.  Lots of Paramour (sp?) and such. Mine is high in vitamin Megadeth.

• 6 months later...

Keeping the ball rolling...

currently on a weightloss thang. 75kg/186cm at about 12% bodyfat... few more weeks and I should be super super lean.

Got a physio appointment next month so depending on what he says I need to do I should be back squatting and deadlifting again - been over a year!

In the mean time just doing loads of mobility work every other day getting all loose and limber in preparation.

Current maxes (tested)

Bench 100kg

Press 72.5

Chins +20kg 3 sets of 5

When I can squat confidently I'll get back on the 3500kcal diet - can't wait!!

While you're in with the physio get him to have a look at your form - they should know best with your skeletal system and adjust form as required.

For mobility I can't stress how good yoga is.  Plus the hot variety gets you in a room with a load of sweaty lycra clad women.

I have stepped up my cardio game these last few weeks.  Double PT this morning with a log race with one Sqn, then jogged over to another session just starting and had a little combat PT with the wrestling and the punching.

Stronglifts has got me back to a 145kg 5x5 squat and pulling a 212.5kg dead; I want to be an absolute machine when I get my new platoon.  

While you're in with the physio get him to have a look at your form - they should know best with your skeletal system and adjust form as required.

For mobility I can't stress how good yoga is.  Plus the hot variety gets you in a room with a load of sweaty lycra clad women.

I have stepped up my cardio game these last few weeks.  Double PT this morning with a log race with one Sqn, then jogged over to another session just starting and had a little combat PT with the wrestling and the punching.

Stronglifts has got me back to a 145kg 5x5 squat and pulling a 212.5kg dead; I want to be an absolute machine when I get my new platoon.  

My main problem - aside from being chronically stiff in my hamstrings, hips, calfs and thoracic spine is that I have a feeling my pelvis is rotated somewhat, where my lower back/S.E meets my *albartroth* I have a bit of bone which visibly sticks out more on the left hand side. Hence physio!! 
  • 2 weeks later...

I am recovering from torn cartilage in my knee and I'm about to rejoin my Battalion next week, in the worst shape I've been in in about 3 years.  Murphy's law is in effect.

I'm about 80kg at the moment, not loving it.  My optimal weight is 75kg.  I can still smash tabbing and circuits etc, but running in trainers is currently torture.

Darkchild

Anyone here do significant amounts of swimming for phys?

I'm looking around at swim memberships, probably looking at going twice/three times a week (after work just before my days off, so once if I've got two days in a row off or twice if two separate days) and then once on my day off (other day needs to be free for shenanigans like airsoft and maybe cycling). I think it'll be helpful as it won't put any extra strain on my *fruitcage*ed ankle and should help me shift the weight.

I used to swim a mile solid every other weekend when I was about 13 as my dad made me do it. I'm also aware I need to make significant changes to my diet as I reckon that's the big issue with my weight (when working I walk at least 7 miles a day, that's without configuring my vivoactive to my stride length)

Generally speaking any activity is better than none, unless it increases your risk of injury - in this case your ankle.

This study investigates swimming and weightloss http://www.metabolismjournal.com/article/S0026-0495(10)00054-5/fulltext

The short version is, swimming is good for weightloss because it lowers the body temperature BUT also increased appetite - bad for weightloss! those that lost weight through swimming were on a very strict diet, and the author recommends that if one is to swim for weightloss, their diet must be spot on! This is something to consider.

Diet is THE most important thing for weightloss. You don't need to exercise to lose weight.

Hard pill to swallow for some but weightloss requires a pretty a lifestyle change. 

You need to accurately record and monitor everything that you consume, hence that fitness pal thing. Only eat things you cook (I suggest cooking it all on a weekend) No more beer, especially dark ones. Glass of red with a meal is fine (provided you account for the kcals) and if you go out drinking, keep to spirits with a zero-kcal mixer, if at all.

Consider using a cycle machine or cross trainer as they put less stress on the ankles. have you seen a doctor about your ankle?

When your ankle is fine start weight training as that is more effective for weightloss than cardio.

Yeah diet is my downfall, I love food and particularly carb-rich foods, bread, rice, pasta, potatoes.

Plus I get fed for free at work but the menu is pretty unhealthy.

I'm hoping to stave the hunger off with good old water though and sticking to a diet plan. Cooking in bulk makes sense, got loads of takeaway boxes for freezing meals. Need to add a few more dishes to my list though as only really know how to bulk a chilli and a tomato based pasta (no creamy sauces, just tomatoes and then veg).

Lack of beer will suck, guess I'll stick to the whisky but I don't drink that much anyway.

Yeah, should be seeing a physio about the ankle soon, stupid waiting list. Saw the doctor a month or so back and he recommended breaking the ankle to let it heal properly, which I can't afford to do really. Going to see an orthopedic surgeon for their opinion.

If you want something a bit tasty get some of those flavoured teas and brew them in cold water for a couple of hours.

Regarding food don't stress recipes too much, get lean proteins (say chicken breast and some spice rub), LOADS of veg and for energy sweet or normal potatoes. pasta for example is 3x the kcal then a sweet potato. Aim to get around your bodyweight in kg, in grams of protein.  

now come back next week .5kg lighter ;) 

Well it can't be said I don't exercise in my current job role. As said minimum of 7 miles walking/running a shift, most shifts involve moving cases of stock about or kegs/casks in the cellar (hooray for lifting 9 gallons onto a two tier stillage). Plus it's going to be a three mile bike journey each way now.

Fitness reality check.  Runners who do nothing but run look like they're about to die of malnutrition.  Cardio alone is not enough.

My extremely buff, 56 year old ex Rhodesian Grey scout friend put it best (seriously, he does ironman competitions and 1000km bike races and *suitcase*, the dude is crazy)

"Running keeps you fit.  Weights keep you young."  

If you want to just keep weight off, walking/running is fine.  If you want to look good (and if we're being honest, we all do)  start lifting metal, or at least start some high intensity bodyweight exercises.

As for myself, had my last session with my Reserve unit last night before I transition to the regulars.

Did a high intensity full body circuit with a couple of the lads.  Utterly destroyed them, to the point where they could not speak.

My knee held up well after a couple hundred squats, so hopefully it means I'll be ok back in the infantry.

Darkchild

• 9 months later...

Odd, I was thinking about this thread this morning.

I'm on a 15 week bodyweight training programme at the moment, and semi-looking for a cheap gym membership and starting a stronglift 5X5.

My biggest change has been dietary, I'm eating a hell of a lot cleaner and lost a few pounds solely from that.

Are you used to the fencing?

As you get used to stuff add another day of stuff.

The hard part is deciding to commit the time.

Mostly used to the fencing now, but I fear it's not as much 'excercise' as I should be doing. 

It's bloody hard work, don't get me wrong, but it's only actually about and hour and a half of solid sweat each week. The remaining half hour of each session is taken up but catching my breath, feeling like I'm going to die, and tactics.

I should start running again but I never feel like I have the motivation. 

Archived