Doing pushups til you *fruitcaging* die

Hardcore1-6

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

So i've been smashing the 'crossfit' (read: circuit training, as i don't own any compression calf sleeves)

RAF "friend" came into my room yesterday and interrupted my 48 hour Fallout session and suggested I stop vegitating and phys.

We did the flithy 50 - 50 reps of 24-inch box, 50 jumping pullups, 50 kettlebell swings, 50 walking lunge steps, 50 knees to elbows, 50 reps of push press with 45 pounds, 50 back extensions, 50 wallballs using a 20-pound ball, 50 burpees, 50 double-unders.

I am dying, so rectified this by doing as a partner workout, with the partner rowing instead of resting:

20 burpees, 25 metre sprint then 20 reps of either jump squats, hand release pressups, lunges, crunches, pullups or toe taps, 25 metre sprint and then back to rowing, tapping in your partner. 30 minutes AMRAP.

Calves and *albartroth* are in pieces today.

I am also dead.

I switched from 5x5 today to 50 reps in the lowest number of sets.

80% of 5 rep max.

Front squat 70kg        10, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6.

Bench press 56.25kg  10, 9, 7, 6, 6, 6, 6.

Barbell row 60kg         10, 10, 10, 8, 6, 6.

I am fully in clip.

Hope you're using your learning credits to apply for Crossfit and PT-esque courses.. (If reservists get them)

I think they get standard learning credits, I don't know.  I treat it like a hobby, I'm only half interested unless there are guns involved.

Darkchild

So, I've been doing the Stronglifts 5x5 program.

3 exercises 5 sets, 5 reps, 25 movements a session.

3 sessions a week alternating between session a and b.

Only session b has deadlifts.

Deadlifts are hard so you only do 1 set of 5.

1 set of 5 three times every two weeks, 30 repetitions a month.

This week I have changed onto doing 50 reps in the fewest possible sets.

Today I did:

Front squat: 70kg

10, 10, 10, 10, 10.  Might consider 75kg next time.

Overhead press: 40kg

10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 4, 4, 5, 4.  That was emotional, I can tell you.

Deadlift: 100kg

10, 10, 7, 7, 7, 5, 7, 6, 1.

I counted wrong, I was tired.

I accidentally did 60 reps on deadlift.

2 entire months' worth of dead lift in one go.  I am moderately tired.

• 2 months later...

I changed again.

I have been doing Squat, Deadlift, deadhang, press-ups, sit-ups and inverted row.

I've got to 4 sets of 10s active hang going directly into 25s of passive hang.

3 sets of 8 inverted row

Sets of 10 press-ups to failure in super sets with 2x the number of sit-ups. This week was 3x10 and 1x7 in supersets with 3x20 and 1x14.

Then 5x5 Squat at 100kg (I do a week [3 sessions] at a weight then add 5kg)

I was getting ready to do 4x5 deadlifts at 120 (I do 1x5 - 2x5 - 3x5 - 4x5 - 5x5 then add weight and go back to 1x5).

I could not do that because my mate dislocated his shoulder and I had to take him to hospital.

He was showing someone the correct technique for a cross-bench pull over.

No upper body for 3-4 months.

Nasty.

For the first time ever, proper, deep back squats with nothing under my heels.

When I first started lifting I couldn't do them, I had trainers with a full heel and my from was ######.

I switched to front squats and built up my flexibility.

Then went to back squats with barefoot shoes and my heels on a plate.

I worked down the plates 25-20-15-10-1.25.

Today I did it with no plates.  My hips tuck under just a little at the bottom but I can correct that.

Feeling happy with that.

Looking gooood. I'd really reccomend getting some weightlifting shoes (if you are going a few times a week you get your moneys worth) 

My old weightlifting coach told me this thing of warming up by doing circles in both directions with the feet, then pretending to "write" the alphabet with your toes. Also this is useful :

as ever apologies if teaching grandmothers to suck eggs. Cheers

Switching up my circuits because boredom.  

Last night did 20 minutes of:

15 pushups

15 squats

15 crunches

repeat until dead.  I managed 14 sets but it's early days.  It's weird because my regular circuit is technically harder, but I do it so much I guess my body is used to it.  I may start switching out circuits every couple of weeks to stave of stagnation.

Darkchild

Yeah, so I can do about 3 sets of that.

Except the squats, I can do a billion air squats.

Thanks for the advice Skarclaw, I looked at weight lifting shoes but they all have a heel meaning less flexibility is needed.
It is about the same as having a 1.25kg plate under your feet.

I want to be able to do it "barefoot", no belt, no straps etc.

I have been using chalk for my heaves because the bar is shiny and slippery but as my grip strength improves I hope to stop that too.

Basically I have this belief that if I can't do something in my normal clothes then I can't do it.

It's like martial arts, you practice for years barefoot in pyjamas on a mat and if you get in a real fight you are in jeans and shoes on asphalt.

Nothing feels right.

I know that with proper shoes I'd be more stable with slightly raised heels which would mean I can lift more.

It just feels like an exploit.

Archived