• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I never even realised you could do this... might make this the default even at the risk of being banned from forum. Also, the way you stuck the dragon through the thumb hole... looked wrong. 

Made a mistake. That part no.17 that broke which I mistook for a hammer and corrected as being a disconnector is in fact a sear, as in THE main sear for the hammer. So I don't know what's going on whe

Is it odd I'm trying to read the newspaper?

Posted Images

I had a look/play with the WE P90 yesterday.  Brand new one on a arid sand/bush field.

Positives:

- High FPS 430fps on 0.2g

- Gas efficiency a hit and miss

- Good kick

- Good ROF

- Body feels good, but slightly lighter weight than expected.

Negatives:

- P90 grip angle and sight to bore distance is not good for a patrol rifle. (no fault of WE)

- Gas mag designs not practical in field conditions.  Any debris around that gas O-ring makes the mags leak gas.

- Trigger pull on semi was very very stiff, on auto pulling a semi was fine.

- The bolt lock design is silly.  Rather than the bolt lock catching the bolt right at the back of the cycle like most guns, it catches at the front, which means the material of the hop unit, or bolt lock will deform (mushroom), shear, or fracture from the impact forces.  I have seen a gas piston AR15 bolt carrier mushroom and shear off from where the op rod contacts the bolt carrier, where a 2mm gap from the bolt carrier was enough impulse to mushroom hardened steel.  The only solutions are:

+ The hop unit, bolt lock and the part of the bolt contacting the bolt lock are all made with AR500 steel or something with equivalent hardness.   OR

+ Short stroking the bolt so there is no slamming to the block lock when the gun goes empty.  OR

+ Redesigning the bolt lock design so at catches when the bolt is locked at the rear

Edited by 3vi1-D4n

Nylon bolt lock is doing fine. I'm sure the stock ABS one would be too if they just put more meat around the area where it cracks.

If they made it so the bolt locks at the rear, you won't get the dead man's click (however faint) like you do on the real thing. Would have preferred a valve knocker interrupter like on their AK. That would have been ideal, but they implemented that in the form of a mag safety instead.

• Like 1

I mean, compared with most other military/le designs out there I'd say the P90's sight over bore height is just about average. If people aren't complaining much about the scar, famas, aug, g36, qbz95, tavor, f2000, l85, kriss vector, etc etc I don't see why anyone should knock on the p90 any harder for it's sight over bore height.

Keep in mind how long ago development on the p90 started. It's entirely likely that the bolt stop mechanism was designed prior to that of the AK series. It would explain a bit, I think. It's probable that they'll tweak the design in later models to work a bit better, like they did with their AR platform. That also had loads of bolt stop issues initially, but later ones are made of better material, etc, and work well enough.

Time will tell, of course, but these issues will likely be worked out. Assuming sales are high enough to warrant it, I would have to guess.

I mean, compared with most other military/le designs out there

Compared against the three giants of mil/LE CQB guns. If anything, it's nearly twice the height of the average. And I don't count the irons on the TR receiver as they are way too low to comfortably shoot.

IMG_7577.jpg

IMG_7576.jpg

IMG_7575.jpg

To be fair though, it's not so bad if you're playing field or MOUT. But I play CQB predominantly where shooting opportunities present themselves as very tight holes through or between cover and every inch out of cover is a huge multiplier of getting shot. As a gun specifically meant for CQB I find it very lacking in that regard but is more of a frustration than a deal breaker.

• Like 1

The P90 issue really depends on how it is used.

Speaking from a combination of RS and airsoft experience, most guns are zeroed to hit the spot at 25m to achieve a rough 60m zero(on RS its a 200-300m zero ) depending on velocity of the round and the sight to bore.  The greater the sight to bore while hitting the spot at 25m means the rounds will be hitting higher than normal at 40-60m and a longer zero'd range.

That means for a weapon with a greater sight to bore have to aim lower than usual between 40-60m to avoid shooting over someone's head, but also means if you are prone or behind barracade, then aiming low to hit 50m means that you will end up shooting the barracade or the ground in front.

Its not so bad for a full size bullpup like a Steyr AUG with a 20" or a FAMAS, because your hands are far enough forward to gauge the barracade or the ground which may get in the way and will retain the feel of a conventional rifle.  But for short barrelled bullpups like the P90, Type 95/97b or AUG Shorty, it is a common problem where the user shoots at the ground because the sight picture is clear.

The other thing is the grip angle and stock length in relation to how it the user can use it in the weapon ready state.  You won't be able really carry a P90 from the hip as in a normal patrol very well due to the short stock length and lack of grip at the front, lacking in natural pointability, but you also can't carry a P90 in the "low ready" position because of the angle of the grip and the length of the stock causes issues with anybody taller than 5'5".  This is a common complaint with P90s. 

That is why the wraparound bolt designs with the magazine in grip are still better than the bullpup for SMG/PDWs as it balances compactness and pointability for patrol and deployment.

Edited by 3vi1-D4n

Ah, wait, I think some of you are misunderstanding my struggle. When I said I can't "make it shoot through a fist sized hole" I didn't mean fist sized groups. It shoots accurately enough at distance after widening the hop window a bit, but what I meant was shooting through a hole right in front of me as in the holes I'm used to shooting from behind cover are too small now to clear both sight and barrel of the P90. Either I shoot blind or I see my target but the bb ricochets back at me. I need to find a bigger hole but from last weekend I just wind up drawing my pistol because of the urgency of the shot.

Maybe its because I have been using a P90 for the better part of 13 years but I often have it in low ready position and found it easy to "patrol" with. Equally with a metal upper i find it super balanced, so much so that if needed I can use it with one hand at will. All this and im 6'4"

I do agree you cant carry it from the hip, just doesnt work lol. Though instead I leave it slung with one hand loosly on the trigger grip. Fast to target if needed and useable one handed

on my phone, my spelling will suck

After reading about RCs trigger mod I thought Id have a look at mine. Mine had little slack so instead of making a plastic buffer I just bent the trigger rod slightly, took up all the slack now the trigger is much more responsive.

on my phone, my spelling will suck