Airsoft Grenade Launcher Marksmanship Training Series

PMO Gordo

Airsoft grenade launchers were used to be considered as shotguns or shoot-and-pray weapons. Now, with the availability of the TAGinn 40mm system (http://airsoftpyrotechnics.com/), TAGinn TAG 15 launcher (https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1013266662070314), as well as my Built-in TAGinn Shell Grenade Launcher mod (http://www.instructables.com/id/Airsoft-Rapid-Fire-Grenade-Launcher-Mod/), the Airsoft 40mm grenade system has reached the level of precision and accuracy which we should give its marksmanship training some serious thoughts.

I am putting together a series of Airsoft grenade launcher marksmanship training videos adapted from U.S. Army Field Manual 3-22.31: "40-MM Grenade Launcher, M203". The first video, as shown below, will discuss the fundamentals: steady position, aiming, breathing, and trigger control. The second one will focus on the zeroing procedures. And the third one and beyond will investigate the combat techniques.

Someone brought up a good question regarding my Airsoft grenade launcher marksmanship training series: "Since there's zero recoil, are any of these really necessary?"

Although recoil is minuscule in Airsoft weapon, aiming is still paramount as the saying goes: “aim small, miss small”. If we review the purposes of the four marksmanship fundamentals – “steady positon”, “aiming”, “breathing”, and “trigger control” -  we’ll see that they are as much about managing the recoil as keeping the sights on target. The purposes of “steady position” include keeping muscle fatigue from affecting the stability of aim and maintaining the alignment of natural point of aim with the target. “Aiming” is self-explanatory. The purpose of “Breathing” is to control the effect of breathing on the weapon’s movement while it is aimed at a target. Finally, one of the purposes of “trigger control” is to prevent sudden trigger pull from disturbing the alignment of the sights with the target.[u.S. Army, 2003]

Another reason to conduct marksmanship training is that the ammo cost is quite high. The large-caliber projectiles for Airsoft grenade launchers cost from US$ 3 to 10 each, which means players are shooting lunch money from each trigger pull. Although some projectiles are reusable, they are still likely to get lost during the chaos of gameplay. Therefore, Airsoft grenade launcher marksmanship training can not only help players perform better at games, but also keep their wallets full.

REF:

1. U.S. Army. Rifle Marksmanship M16A1, M16A2/3, M16A4, and M4 Carbine. (Field Manual 3-22.9). Washington, DC: Headquarters, Department of the Army; 2003
  2. U.S. Army. 40-MM Grenade Launcher, M203. (Field Manual 3-22.31). Washington, DC: Headquarters, Department of the Army; 2003

12196171_406940429502723_125371352293434

This. Is. Airsoft.

The best way to get to grips with the TAG shells and projectiles is to actually, y'know, use them. They differ in flight from real 40mm rounds and such, since, y'know, they're fired from toys. In a game. Called airsoft. Seriously.

Watching you squatting down looking like your about to deposit a brown package in full kit in a hilarious video whilst quoting U.S Army marksmanship traits will not help make anyone a better marksman.

Not trying to be horrible, just pointing out the obvious.

Airsoft is what you think it is. You probably think of it as variant of speed paintball, but a lot of players and I think of it as military simulation games.

Reverting to personal attack showed how little you know about the subject. I've been studying and developing Airsoft 40mm projectiles since 2013. They do not have the same range as the real deal, but many principles are still applicable. Below is a video showing Airsoft 40mm projectiles launched at different distances. I was using the same aiming principle as shown in the marksmanship video.

from my P.M.O.G. Airsoft 40mm Projectile project: http://www.instructables.com/id/Airsoft-40mm-Special-Effect-Projectiles/

From my Built-in TAGinn Shell Grenade Launcher project: http://www.instructables.com/id/Airsoft-Rapid-Fire-Grenade-Launcher-Mod/

Airsoft is a game. Military simulation or not, it is still a game which requires strategy and skill. These traits are skills which are developed and improved through practice, not from a video of you in full kit demonstrating some basic stances.

I was simply pointing out that your so called 'marksmanship' video was pointless. No personal attacking. You yourself are getting upset over nothing. I was not intentionally trying to upset you or be horrible, as I've written above. If I was going to write a personal attack, I would have used a different choice of words! :)

I'm well aware of your PMOG's, they're pretty neat and it's obvious you've put in a lot of time and effort into them. Your disassembly post of the TAG shells was brilliant BTW.

I've used the TAG projectiles in the past and stances don't really matter with them, what DOES matter is using grenade sights effectively and working out the best angle to launch them to get a decent trajectory, whilst watching out for branches and other overhead objects which may obstruct the flight path. This coupled with things like wind, and placing your shots so that they land effectively either just behind or in front of moving targets takes time and practice to refine.

Your video could have benefitted people more by addressing these fundamentals instead of replicating stances because the U.S army use them. Not everything the military does is applicable to airsoft - hell, I have real SAPI plates and soft armour inserts, doesn't mean I'm going to use them, military simulation or not!

Without help from intonations or facial expressions, your last post sounded like a malicious attack. Now that it has been clarified, I thank you for your opinion, but I respectfully disagree with you.

I believe in learning through structured lessons supplemented by hands-on practices. Without lessons prepared by instructors, students may have to spend excessive amount of time or money in exploring before acquiring the knowledge or skills. The video at the top of thread is only the first lesson, hence the title: "Marksmanship I - The Fundamentals". The second lesson will be "The Zeroing Procedures", followed by "The Range Estimation", "Working with a Spotter or Squad", and more. They are, or will be, carefully adapted from the Army manual and validated through experiences during game play. The squatting stance, or rice paddy stance, may seems ridiculous, but it allows quick relocation once shooting is done compared to kneeling stance. The sitting stances provide more durable positions and reduce fatigue, and although they may not be very useful for short games, they can be very helpful during 24-hour games. As with all other positions, they are tools for your toolbox. You may not use one very often, but it can be very useful when a situation dictates its use.

I appreciate your approval of the importance of using a sight. The leaf sight not only provides weapon alignment with the target, but also adjustment for target at different distances. On a real grenade launcher, the red line, "1", and "2" represent 50 meters, 100 meters, and 200 meters. From my experiences with TAGinn shells and projectiles, they can be translated to 50 feet, 100 feet, and 200 feet, although I still need to verify this during filming of the second lesson: "The Zeroing Procedures". I theorize that with proper zeroing and good range estimation, an Airsoft grenadier can achieve high first-strike probability, which will make the game play more enjoyable and help save him a lot of money. A TAGinn projectile cost about as much as a good lunch after all.

M203_leaf_sight_main.jpg

The significance of the "Aiming" animation in the "Marksmanship I - The Fundamentals" might not be clear.

12191737_407626646100768_602242590488059

Many people don't know how to use the M203 leaf sight because it is not modeled correctly in video games. Many video games only have rudimentary M203 sight models. Video gamers usually had to "walk" the rounds to targets, so they assumed that's how grenade launcher is used.

1506721_407626649434101_2494393596749162

12109235_407626639434102_254859870691910

The leaf sight not only provides weapon alignment with the target, but also adjustment for target at different distances. On a real grenade launcher, the red line, "1", and "2" represent 50 meters, 100 meters, and 200 meters. From my experiences with TAGinn shells and projectiles, they can be translated to 50 feet, 100 feet, and 200 feet, although I still need to verify this during filming of the second lesson: "The Zeroing Procedures". I theorize that with proper zeroing and good range estimation, an Airsoft grenadier can achieve high first-strike probability, which will make the game play more enjoyable and help save him a lot of money. A TAGinn projectile cost about as much as a good lunch after all.

• 2 weeks later...

12243122_409600292570070_703248130611331

Had a great day shooting Airsoft Grenade Launcher Marksmanship Episode II: "Zeroing Procedure" and Episode III: "Range Estimation" at Pittsburgh Paintball Park. I couldn't contain my joy when my theory was validated! When the Built-in TAGinn Shell Grenade Launcher is zeroed at 50 feet, it should be able to hit an 100-feet target when aligning the "1" marker on the M203 leaf sight.

Zeroing procedures are defined as the steps to align sights to the projected grenade strike points. Although all weapons need zeroing, it is especially important for weapons with slow firing rates and limited ammunition capacity, such as a grenade launcher, in order to achieve high first-strike probability. Therefore, an overview of the zeroing procedures for Airsoft grenade launchers is warranted. I will be using my Built-in TAGinn Shell Grenade Launcher (B.T.S.G.L.) as an example for most of this essay.

There are three major types of grenade launcher sights: leaf sight, leaf sight with adjustable rear aperture, and quadrant sight. Due to the short weapon range in Airsoft, even with TAGinn system, Airsoft grenadiers need to put more emphasis on fast target acquisition than adjustability. I found out through experience that leaf sight is the best choice as one can transition between short and long ranges very quickly (i.e. 50 - 300 feet, very short compared to real steel. Real steel grenade launchers would still be on the first range marking when engaging the "long range" targets of Airsoft). Leaf sights are featured on M203, M320, and AG36. For the leaf sight with adjustable rear aperture on EGLM, you could use the distance markings as rear apertures without the need to fiddling with the adjustable rear aperture. But this trick won't work with M79's sight. Quadrant sights on M203, GP-25 and GP-30 provide more detailed and greater adjustment for ranges, but they are very slow for transitioning between short and long ranges. Due to these reasons, as well as greater availability of M203 leaf sight, I will discuss it solely in this essay.

M203 leaf sight may be mechanically simple compared to a quadrant sight, but it still features fully adjustable windage and elevation. There are notches on the sight that represent 50-meter increment in distances, and they range from 50 meters to 250 meters. In addition, the red mark represents 50 meters, and the “1” and “2” represent 100 and 200 meters respectively. My test showed that they can be roughly converted to 50 to 250 feet with the B.T.S.G.L.

Before describing the zeroing procedures, there are certain characteristics of the B.T.S.G.L. that must be discussed first. The chamber pressure produced by a fresh CO2 cartridge and the regulator is usually higher with the first charge – holding the push-button valve open for three seconds. The projectile velocity, as a result, is usually about 20-40 fps higher than the following shots. Also, holding the push-button valve open longer does not seem to yield any additional benefits, although it seems charging time shorter than three seconds sometimes fails to put enough gas in the chamber. A fresh CO2 cartridge has the most consistent pressure output from 2nd to 7th charges. So, if zeroing is not completed at the 7th shot, it would be best to swap out with another fresh CO2 cartridge. Next, it is possible to use any types of TAGinn projectiles for zeroing, but I feel it is best to use Paladin rounds as they leave distinctive marks on targets that make determining strike points easier.

The first step of zeroing is to find a suitable firing range. I recommend an open field about 50 feet long and 10 feet wide with a sturdy target stand at the end of the range. Although it may be more beneficial to zero at 100 feet as it is the most common Airsoft engagement distance, I feel the ease of zeroing at 50 feet justify some sacrifices in accuracy. A 3 feet by 3 feet or man-size paper target are best for zeroing, as well as practicing range estimation which will be discussed in Marksmanship III: “Range Estimation”. Next, mechanically zero the M203 leaf sight by putting the middle of windage and elevation scale on their respective index lines. Assume a stable position with your non-firing hand supported by a stationary object. Load a Paladin round, and align the front sight and the 50 feet / 50 meter/ red mark on the M203 leaf sight with the target. Fire the round, note the strike point, and adjust windage or elevation as needed. Repeat the loading, firing, and adjustment as needed. Zero is achieved when a strike point is near the center of the target.

I shot a Paladin and Venum round at 100 feet mark to validate zero. The Paladin hit slightly higher on the target, but I consider it a hit as it is within my standard of 3 feet by 3 feet window-size area. The Venum hit slightly lower, but considering it is a heavier round, it is not surprising. I was planning to test the accuracy of B.T.S.G.L. beyond 100 feet, but I ran out of ruler. Without knowledge of precise distance to the target, my shots went either over or short of the target, and were not captured well by the cameras. But I noticed they all flew very close to the target vector.

In summary, with proper knowledge of the zeroing procedures, an Airsoft grenade launcher operating B.T.S.G.L. can achieve high first-strike probability if target range estimation is spot on. This brings up the importance of range estimation, which will be discussed in the next episode: “Range Estimation”.

High resolution versions can be found here:
1. Fundamentals: https://youtu.be/dGkdW482d1E
2. Zeroing Procedures: https://youtu.be/WM9fLfQ3Lxc

• 2 weeks later...

Stay polite and on topic or GTFO. Nobody is forcing you to read this thread.

Thank you, Moderator. But the negative comments except what I perceived as malicious attack (which was cleared up afterward) don't really bother me.

Roland actually provided constructive criticism in his last comment based on his experiences from Road to Rostov, which I will discuss after I post Marksmanship III - Range Estimation later today.

Range estimation is defined as the determination of the approximate distances from the grenadier to the targets. It is paramount for Airsoft grenadiers as the trajectories of TAGinn projectiles resemble a sharp parabolic compared to that of BBs due to lack of Magnus effect and low velocities. Under recommended safety limit of 180 feet per second [REF 1], TAGinn projectiles will start to drop to the ground after travelling 50 feet, making it necessary to launch them at elevated angles in order to reach greater distances. The impact distances correspond to the launch angles, which can be adjusted through the use of grenade launcher sights. If the sights are zeroed correctly, and the distances to the targets are estimated accurately, a grenadier can achieve high first-strike probability by aligning the sights at the corresponding range markers.

There are four types of range estimation techniques: 1) "walking" the rounds, 2) appearance-of-objects, 3) visual aids, and 4) range card. "Walking" the rounds is not really a range estimation technique as the grenadier would not use the range markers on the sights at all. He would simply increase the launch angles gradually until scoring a hit. It may take a lot of rounds to score a hit, resulting in poor performance and waste of money. The technique is commonly used in video games as the grenade launcher sights are rarely modeled correctly in them. Appearance-of-objects technique refers to memorizing sizes and shapes of objects at different ranges and using the information to determine the distances to targets. It is most likely to be used in Airsoft games due to their faster paces and limited weapon ranges. They can be learned through simply "practicing" in games, but it is likely going to cost a lot of money from losing or using up projectiles. In addition, its accuracy can be affected by clarity of the targets, terrains, light and atmosphere. Although appearance-of-objects technique is used more often in games, it takes time to acquire. But it can be learned more efficiently through the use of visual aids, such as the grenade launcher sights or players' index fingers. By using the changes in height or width of the targets relative to the sights or index fingers, one can estimate the corresponding distances. In other words, grenadiers can memorize the relative height or width of common targets on Airsoft battlefields to the sights or their index fingers at 100 feet and 200 feet, and use the information to intrapolate or extrapolate the distances to them. Common targets on Airsoft battlefields include personnel, window, door, and vehicles. It should be kept in mind that the visual aid information will probably be specific to the users themselves due to differences in physiques and weapon setups between players. In order to maximize learning effects, it is recommended that grenadiers begin practicing on engaging targets at known distances of 100 feet and 200 feet, taking the time to employ both appearance-of-objects and visual aid techniques, and then move on to targets at various distances. Also, if the training exercises are done outside of games and dummy rounds are used, they can be recovered and reused, and will save players a lot of money.

The final technique, range card, is likely the most accurate method for range estimation. It requires time to survey key features around a position, and the distances from the position to them. The distances can be measured through map reading as well as pace counts. Once these information are recorded on a range card, grenadiers can estimate target ranges accurately by finding out their relative positions to the recorded key features. However, this technique is probably only applicable to defensive operations at larger MILSIM games which sometimes allow longer time to prepare defenses.

However, even with zeroed sights and good range estimation, it is still possible that the first round would miss. After all, the range is ESTIMATED. But what practicing range estimation techniques as well as other marksmanship skills will do is to minimize the amount of deviation, so that the second round's chance of hitting the target would be almost certain. Furthermore, under combat conditions, it is difficult for a grenadier to track a target, sense the impact, and reload the grenade launcher. Therefore, a grenadier performs best when working with a team as they can provide target tracking and feedback on the effect of fire, so that the grenadier can focus on operating the weapon. In addition, even with the extra space freed up on the load bearing gear from using TAG-15 or B.T.S.G.L. launchers, grenade projectiles are still precious commodities that can be carried in very limited quantities compared to BBs. Lion Claws only allows 4 projectiles on a single mission, and American Milsim only 12. Therefore, they are to be reserved for high-value targets, such as massed troops, strongpoints, or vehicles, instead of individual OPFORs. The target priorities should be decided by grenadier's assigned unit leader with the focus on helping to achieve the objectives. Based on these accounts, the next episode will discuss the techniques of working with a small unit.

REF:
1. https://www.facebook.com/pmogarmory/posts/405045426358890:0

So, in Roland1014's deleted comment, he actually provided constructive criticism based on his experiences from Road to Rostov. He said marksmanship training is not necessary as he zeroed with 5 rounds just before the game, and he was able to hit each of his targets with three-round barrage. He also suggested that the key is to put the same amount of gas in the each TAGinn shell.

It appears that we have different definitions regarding zeroing. His goal was to be able to hit a HUMVEE at 105 yards with three-round barrage, while mine is to hit a 3 ft x 3 ft window at 100 feet on the first strike. I believe in developing the first-strike capability as grenade projectiles are precious commodities that can be carried in very limited quantities compared to BBs. Lion Claws only allows 4 projectiles on a single mission, and American Milsim only 12. Although Milsim West does not seem to have limits on grenade capacity, there are still so much a person can carry, not to mention they are expensive, too!

I agree that putting same amount of gas in each shell is the key to consistent performance, but imagine playing at a game where it is snowing, the temperature is only 30 degree F, and the sun is setting. It would be difficult to find the tiny fill holes, hold the charger steady, and put in consistent amount of gas in each shell. I actually did experience this first hand, and while I thought I put in the same amount of gas in my shells, they actually leaked out because I was too frozen to align the charger with the fill holes properly. With the use of TAG-15 or my B.T.S.G.L., these problems can be avoided.

I don't know why people are being quite so down on the concept, or at least so rudely so. If I may add my 2 cents though:

While I think applying military style training to airsoft can be fun, informative, and add to the game, I'm not entirely sure this is one of those times. I've done a bunch of classes aiming to do just that, but they've all shared more overlap with the physics and strategies of airsoft. Frankly I think 99% of anything designed to teach shooting real grenades can probably be quite safely ruled inapplicable to airsoft. You don't need to worry about substantial recoil; aiming takes a tad more work, but not by much; stance is entirely irrelevant, etc. Beyond that, no matter how good your projectiles are, they simply don't have the force or ballistics to be precise enough to merit breath control or anything of the sort. Show that there is some difference between someone who knows how to aim with an airsoft gl and someone who is going through your whole rigmarole and I'll cede the point, but till then?

The other point, and I am still unsure of how intentional it is, is that your posts really just seem like ads. That's not inherently bad, repping what you designed is good, but maybe tone it down a notch?

I don't know why people are being quite so down on the concept, or at least so rudely so. If I may add my 2 cents though:

People are annoyed because the information presents itself as legitimate and useful, while being irrelevant and a waste of time.

It is an attack on the level of quality on the general information available, if that makes sense.

Then there is, as you said, the point about it being fluff content for advertising (be it a product or just ones own channel).

While I think applying military style training to airsoft can be fun, informative, and add to the game, I'm not entirely sure this is one of those times. I've done a bunch of classes aiming to do just that, but they've all shared more overlap with the physics and strategies of airsoft. Frankly I think 99% of anything designed to teach shooting real grenades can probably be quite safely ruled inapplicable to airsoft. You don't need to worry about substantial recoil; aiming takes a tad more work, but not by much; stance is entirely irrelevant, etc. Beyond that, no matter how good your projectiles are, they simply don't have the force or ballistics to be precise enough to merit breath control or anything of the sort. Show that there is some difference between someone who knows how to aim with an airsoft gl and someone who is going through your whole rigmarole and I'll cede the point, but till then?

The other point, and I am still unsure of how intentional it is, is that your posts really just seem like ads. That's not inherently bad, repping what you designed is good, but maybe tone it down a notch?

Thank you for your feedback. I can give you an analogy as to why people behave this way - the Syrian refugee crisis. How many people have actually known a Syrian refugee  personally, or even talked to one? Yet a lot of people seem to think they are all terrorists. When people are not certain about things, they tend to follow the most vocal persons - the mass media, politicians, right-wing organizations, and etc. Likewise, how many people have actually use a Built-in TAGinn Shell Grenade Launcher (B.T.S.G.L.), or a TAG-15? All I ask is that you give my B.T.S.G.L. mod or TAG-15 a try.

As for having comparisons of players with various Airsoft GL experiences or training, it sounds like a fantastic idea! I might try to start an Airsoft Grenade Launcher Competition if I can get funding and enough people interested. It will be cool to have a competition similar to "Nerf Herders Anti-tank Competition" held at Faulda Gap national OP each year: http://www.fuldagap.com/gameschedule.shtml

I don't actually sell any products due to my international student status preventing me from starting a business. My intention is to promote safe and effective use of Airsoft grenade launchers. I feel if I want to promote anything, even if it's just an idea, it'd be best have a brand name. That's why all my videos have P.M.O.G. Armory logos in them. And knowing that most people only attention span about 5 minutes - about the length of a song - I also try to make my videos as flashy as possible like ads.

Trivia quizzes - regarding my "Range Estimation" video:

1. Where did the background music come from?

2. Why did I choose it as the background music for the video?

Hint: It had something to do with this instrument (see picture)

Answers to Dec 3rd's trivia quizzes:

1. The background music was from the 1955 movie "The Dam Busters", which told the story of the attack on Nazi Germany's dam by No. 617 Squadron RAF during WWII. The weapon and the deployment method developed for this raid are ingenious, but they are nothing compared to courage of the men volunteered for this dangerous mission. The bombers had to fly at 60 feet altitude and at an air speed of 240 mph at NIGHT! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Chastise

2. The instrument for determining the bomb deployment distance to the dam employed the same principle shown in the video of "Marksmanship III - Range Estimation". The bombardiers observed the relative distances of the two prongs on the instrument and the twin towers on the dams until they matched up (see picture below).

Let's take a moment to commemorate the brave chaps of No. 617 Squadron RAF!

12346404_414628695400563_589977822531668

• 3 weeks later...

the discussion on zeroing and using a 203 style sight was really helpful cheers dude, and even though the recoil is less I find that good shooting stances do help in airsoft because due to the lightweight projectiles a small movement has much much more affect on the shots deviation from the desired target point than the equivalent RS round being fired, the stances for firing a 203 could be useful especially when using arcing fire and Indirect style fire to Increase the range we can get out of the TAG rounds.

Walking rounds in I think would be prohibitively expensive unless using the foam ones although the lack of feedback could be a pain. do you reckon we could use Cylalume technology to do stuff for aiming at night/marking positions?

Hornady do some shotgun shells which glow for night shooting for example so maybe coating a foam round with the contents of a glowstick or Flourescent paint maybe?

the discussion on zeroing and using a 203 style sight was really helpful cheers dude, and even though the recoil is less I find that good shooting stances do help in airsoft because due to the lightweight projectiles a small movement has much much more affect on the shots deviation from the desired target point than the equivalent RS round being fired, the stances for firing a 203 could be useful especially when using arcing fire and Indirect style fire to Increase the range we can get out of the TAG rounds.

Walking rounds in I think would be prohibitively expensive unless using the foam ones although the lack of feedback could be a pain. do you reckon we could use Cylalume technology to do stuff for aiming at night/marking positions?

Hornady do some shotgun shells which glow for night shooting for example so maybe coating a foam round with the contents of a glowstick or Flourescent paint maybe?

Thanks. Your idea is great! For places where use of pyro is prohibited, the only way to observe strike points at night is probably through the use of fluorescent rounds or fluorescent powder-filled rounds. In fact, Milsimlabs sells glow-in-the-dark rounds for 40mm grenade shells: http://www.milsimlabs.com/foam%20ordance%2040mm.html So, I think it's doable to make glow-in-the-dark TAG rounds as well. As for fluorescent powder fillings, I did look into the possibility of using them in frangible rounds, but I couldn't find cheap sources for fluorescent powder. Also, they still need to be exposed to some light before they are launched in order to glow in the dark, which could be tricky.

Archived