I've just seen a twin engined jetliner on approach with one engine!

Tommygunn

I swear I've just seen an 737/A320 type twin engined airliner come in to land at Rimini Airport with one engine!

I was flying my RC plane at this location 43°58'8.72"N 12°41'35.19"E when I heard a plane approaching, not unusual, however, when I looked up I thought that it looked very strange and the first thing that popped to mind was it might be some weird Russian plane, you know what I mean. My next thought was that it was reminiscent of the WW2 Heinkel 162 because of it's configuration.

I was front and left of the plane, as it approached, making the port engine appear, at first glance, to be mounted on top of the fuselage. As it neared, it flew almost directly over me and I was able to see that the port engine was correct but the starboard engine was missing with only a pylon in place!

This happened at about 3.30 - 3.35pm local time. I also noticed just prior to seeing the plane that there was a lot of helicopter activity in the area. One particular chopper flew pretty close to me and was your typical matt black chopper (I know) but with no discernable markings.

The plane was mostly red with what appeared to be a blue, or similar coloured stripe, along the fuselage length below the mid point. Does that help id the airline?

Has anyone heard anything on the airwaves? Does anyone have any contacts that can confirm this?

Tom.

This was probably the plane you saw:

which would have arrived at Rimini from Tenerife around that time. Flight number CVK7078.

Looking at pictures of it the landing gear comes out of a bulged protrusion in the fuselage - perhaps that's what the plyon was?

Cheers. 

<...>it might be some weird Russian plane, you know what I mean. <...>

It is Soviet!  :D

An-74 was designed for polar/high altitude conditions with low quality airfilds. That's why it has "overwing engines" configuration, like amphibious plane  :rolleyes: 

I too saw a strange looking plane fly over last weekend. It was single engined (but looked big enough that it should have 2 engines), propeller driven and had a fat bit at the end of the right wing similar to that seen on the BACK Strikemaster. I know it's not much to go on but if anyone can help it'll be appreciated

Archived