Plate carrier steel armour plate supplier in the UK?

hitmanNo2

Anyone know of a UK company that sells ASC type steel armour plates like the AR500 and million other companies available in the US?

I appreciate the market over here would be very, very niche but I couldn't find anything in my Googling.

Yeah. The weight may be excessive but I want to try it anyway. Add a bit of a workout to proceedings ha.

I don't doubt that. You need LV IV+ to defeat .223 don't you?

Nope, a while back the man tried to ban m855 green tip 556 because in a "pistol ar" it could pierce body armor.

A pistol barrel which is less than 10" will not have the barrel to build the pressure for the round to even "dent" kevlar vests

A 18"+ barrel and it can do some damage.

Yeah I read into all of these when I got my Dyneema plates a while back (to use in courses in Switzerland + Slovakia), the lv III plates could stop rifle rounds up to 7.62x51, however you also have to use a lv IIIa soft armour "backer" behind it in conjunction for it to match its ratings. Out of curiosity, what are you buying your plates for? 

Zombie apocalypse obvs B)

Seriously though, I have some PCs and a soft armour carrier that are just a bit lacking when it comes to rigidity and thought some hard plates would give that extra bit of heft.  Not something I would probably skirmish with much so kind of a 'because I can' kind of thing depending on price.  I expect I wont be able to get stuff under $100 like the US guys can.  Though I am looking to do some courses in Europe at some point so would be preferred to have for that so I might PM you at some point re. courses.

• 7 months later...

I wouldn't trust it myself, but to each his own. Do keep in mind to be sure that the steel is treated to defeat M855 & M193 as they are very common rounds and will easily penetrate regular AR500 steel. Best of luck! :)

Depends on the barrel length.

I don't like steel armor and yall should not either.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=975796

I'm aware of the barrel's length affecting speed/penetration but I've shoot right through AR500 with M855 out of a 10" barrel. Either way, I'm a ceramic guy myself but if OP wants to spend his money on steel it's his decision.

It shouldn't, the velocity is not there, it needs above 3000fps to punch through it.

On a level 3 plate, m855 from a 10" is about 2500-2800 fps.

You had hot loads and I'd be worried.

I'm open to ceramic plates certainly.  I just figured they would cost a bomb.  Thankfully I'm not looking into armour as I'm being shot at or plan to get shot at, just for some rigidity/bulk for PCs. 

I was only looking at steel because, in theory, it's pretty cheap for a somewhat throwaway purchase.

If you want plates for the weight and have no intention of using them for actual combat (if I'm reading correctly), I'd recommend steel plates. They're far cheaper and although ceramic plates are better for stopping actual bullets, they can be damaged fairly easily. I've cracked one myself at a game and once saw another crack from being dropped on its corner.

I once had a friend who's a fabricator make me up some steel plates for rigidity/weight purposes, didn't cost a lot, another idea perhaps? 

Archived