Movie Spoiler Thread.

Habakure

Well, seeing as some people like to talk about a movie I thought I'd start a thread with the title 'Movie Spoiler Thread'.

Thats not the point though. Oh no. Please read on.

This is a thread to talk about what happens in a movie without the fear of ruining it for other people. So, if you don't like spoilers don't read this thread.

Side note:- This is a thread to discuss points in a movie that annoyed you, tickled your fancy or if you thought you missed something and would like to know more.

So, with that out of the way. Let the praise, or moaning, commerce

Note:- This isn't abiut a movie that you just saw, or a movie review thread. This is for discussing a point in a movie, without fear of being called a 'spoiler'.

Example of troll spoiler: ZOMFG Snape kills Dumbledore!

Example of good discussion topic, which happens to be a spoiler: Did anyone else feel really betrayed when Snape killed Dumbledore? Hasn't Dumbledore been saying through the whole series of books that Snapes a good guy? What a shock!

VERY SERIOUS WARNING OF SPOILERS!

I WILL BE DISCUSSING A SPOILER FROM THE FORCE AWAKENS BELOW.

I WILL CHANGE THE COLOUR OF THE TEXT TO WHITE.

So, in the film a person dies.  When the person dies I found it to be astonishingly sad.

I cared.

I didn't care about any of the characters in the prequels.

I care more about the Millennium Falcon than I do about any of the characters from the prequels.

This film was legitimately good (I think, I'll have to watch it again) but from an initial watch I can definitively tell you that the dialogue is better and the cinematography is good.

The film has many, many beats is common with Star Wars and I got an odd sense of scale from the baddies, it felt like they weren't as galactic as the empire.

The rebellion felt like it actually had less resources that it did at the end of Jedi.

If they had genuinely been fighting for 30 years on a galactic scale they would be massive.

Anyway, I have seen all the films in the cinema and that was the first one that was really good.

I saw Jedi (meh), Phantom menace (*suitcase*), Attack of the Clones (*suitcase*), Revenge of the Sith (super *suitcase*) and the special editions of Star Wars and Empire (good but ruined).

My whole life has been defined by Star Wars disappointing me.

Until now.

Here's a good one. Why did kylo ren kill han ? Within the dialogue leading up to it han had some good arguments and kylo wanted to change and seemed to have turned but then killed him. Who else thinks its just because ford didn't want to be in it particularly and only did this one reluctantly after being paid a lot and insisted he was killed off.

I thought it made sense in the context of the conversation he had with Vader's helmet earlier in the film.

He wanted to be a badarse like his grandfather but he could feel the light and he thought he was too weak.

He asked Han for help to do the thing he had to do, Han helped him.

Han thought he was helping him to turn away from the dark but as it turns out, he was helping him to burn away the last of the good inside him.

Killing his father was a step he needed to take towards the dark in his journey to be more like his grandfather.

Whether that was because grumpy old Harrison didn't want to play any more or because the script writers needed to put at least one plot point in that wasn't lifted directly from Star Wars, we don't know.

I do know that the film needed it, Ren was a whiny little kid prior to that (reminiscent of a young Luke) and with any luck will develop into a villain worth fighting over the next two films.

I hope the fact that the plot is extremely similar to Star Wars is actually a long con so that the film makers can tip the whole thing on its head in the 9th film, throw out all the tropes you expect and have something amazing happen.

Star Wars, 'brand power' aside was a 6/10 film. For a rough comparison I thought Fury Road was an 8/10 and saw it in the cinema twice.

Good:

Looked and 'felt' like star wars - tried my best to eyeball all the droids and aliens in the background

New characters were all good - looking forward to more of Po Dameron. Kylo Ren was really well played

Humour in the right places

Bad:

The plot was a new hope with MS Word 'track changes'

Too much Han Solo / Chewie

Rey had an astoundingly flat delivery! I am surprised this made it pass script reading!!

Finn's character development took place in a minute in the first 15 of the film. From an anonymous storm trooper (from birth, with a perfect conformity record!) to a wisecracking hero, just like that.

I am glad Han Solo died. Ford clearly doesn't give a *suitcase* and I want the new generation of characters to carry it. It was pulled off really well and was the only time in the film I felt tense.

Kylo Ren is a cool character - his killing of Solo was him resisting the seductions of the light side. It was for the dark side a 'heroic move'. I look forward to seeing a play off between Ren (who has forsaken good for evil) and Finn (vice versa) in the future films.

Star Wars, 'brand power' aside was a 6/10 film. For a rough comparison I thought Fury Road was an 8/10 and saw it in the cinema twice.

Good:

Looked and 'felt' like star wars - tried my best to eyeball all the droids and aliens in the background

New characters were all good - looking forward to more of Po Dameron. Kylo Ren was really well played

Humour in the right places

Bad:

The plot was a new hope with MS Word 'track changes'

Too much Han Solo / Chewie

Rey had an astoundingly flat delivery! I am surprised this made it pass script reading!!

Finn's character development took place in a minute in the first 15 of the film. From an anonymous storm trooper (from birth, with a perfect conformity record!) to a wisecracking hero, just like that.

I am glad Han Solo died. Ford clearly doesn't give a *suitcase* and I want the new generation of characters to carry it. It was pulled off really well and was the only time in the film I felt tense.

Kylo Ren is a cool character - his killing of Solo was him resisting the seductions of the light side. It was for the dark side a 'heroic move'. I look forward to seeing a play off between Ren (who has forsaken good for evil) and Finn (vice versa) in the future films.

Kill off a character and you're basically saying to the audience, that no-one is safe. I hope Leia is next as that would push Kylo over the edge. Really didn't like Snoke, I mean really didn't like him. Looked terrible, delivery was dire and I kept waiting for Jack to turn up with his bean stork.

I wonder if James Cameron is rethinking his stance on the Alien franchise? Would love him to do a proper colonial marines movie, he could even throw in those smurfs if he wanted.

Edit:- forgot to put the following; The first time you see the x wings in formation, I got that sense of awe you get when you're a child. The scene worked very well and wasn't pretentious (which tends to happen a lot these days), classic case of perfect intervention at just the right time.

The biggest thing that annoyed me about SW:TFA was Kylo Ren.

Spoilers below:

I get that they were trying to show the duality of his character - mask on, he's an inscrutable, overpowered, unstoppable dread character. Mask off and he's just a whiney teenager who is trying to prove himself.

But the minute he takes off the mask, he's ruined as a legitimate threat because you can't take him seriously. Could they not have given him a *fruitcage* haircut? And what was with the petulant pounding on his blaster wound in the last lightsaber battle? Grit your teeth, grab the wound, ok. Wail on it like an autistic toddler having a tantrum? Not ok.

They need a bigger boat but their ego over rides logic, and they pay the price for being ignorant.

One thing I dont get about Mad Max Fury Road; the shower in the desert scene. Just seems to fall flat with everything else that goes on, nearly all the other scenes have a decent narrative purpose. The shower scene just comes off as 'look hollywood this is how you objectify women. But we wont, we wont show women as just bodies to look at . . . ah *suitcase*'.

My favourite recent film moment was the heartbreaking scene at the end of shutter island, the look on the face of the guy as he walks away after telling the doctor it didn't work. The look as he walks away KNOWING dicaprio's character remembers what happened, knowing that he is all there and that he knows what his wife did.

That shared look before he walks over to the doctor broke me. The fact that he knows dicaprio wants the treatment wants to escape from the knowledge and the look of heartbreak and guilt on his face as he walks away.

The biggest thing that annoyed me about SW:TFA was Kylo Ren.

Spoilers below:

I get that they were trying to show the duality of his character - mask on, he's an inscrutable, overpowered, unstoppable dread character. Mask off and he's just a whiney teenager who is trying to prove himself.

But the minute he takes off the mask, he's ruined as a legitimate threat because you can't take him seriously. Could they not have given him a *fruitcage* haircut? And what was with the petulant pounding on his blaster wound in the last lightsaber battle? Grit your teeth, grab the wound, ok. Wail on it like an autistic toddler having a tantrum? Not ok.

I liked that.  It will hopefully allow the character to show development, unlike Hayden Christiansen in the prequels, he went from emo to child murderer in 9 minutes.

The punching thing I think was to cause pain which would (in turn) allow him to feel anger and have more dark power.

Han shot first.

He did in this, lots and lots of times.

• 2 weeks later...

On a well developed society of desert rats  run for the old and liberal economy principe of "you find it you get it" a small lady survives without help, covering when INSIDE a stelar destroyer but showing some skin to the sunburn, not only that but she takes a football-alike robot from the one that first encounters it, no one cares to rape, kill or have any kind of fun on her and finally without any proper training she gets the "scout force use badge" in 0, seconds. really hated the character (that I am assuming is not other than ?kilo ten´s sibling sister, as the old books state that Han and Leida had first the twins (I am really missing the old books)? also the *fruitcage* prince of bell air storm trooper, specialized in sewerage maintenance is sent to kill some slum, just to realize, "yep bro, I ain´t kill anyone, I´ve been living in Compton all this time for free and now I will become a good guy (poking!!!). Not to speak the interactions with female characters, the use of plain face, (really understand the reason for the mandatory use of helmets, every character that shows his face loses like 90% glamour, the emo kilo, the doughnut addict storm trooper...

?One nice moment for me was the meeting with the "palpatine alike evil mind ruling all this without the advice of a 6 year old child, so all the evil plans are doomed to fail" at first I saw a shade of the glory in Prometheus to rise, a gigantic evil mind, just to become an hologram (but you know, one has to seem as one deserves to seem).(of course irony everywhere, Prometeus was more disappointing than the last Hanna Montana concert i was at)

I would talk about the millennium falcon, the bed and breakfast owner and usual drunken bunch, the scarcity of resources for the evil first order, not able to send a single destroyer, just ties (well know for lacking hiperespeed capability, so they operate form bigger ships) or the option to just vaporice from the orbit a tiny B&B and then send the troopers for the disposal or organic scum...

When I first saw that post I thought it was one of those spam dumps.

Anyway, emo Kylo Ren appears to be the point, if he starts as a badass then there is no room for character development.

The TIE fighters are not the ones we remember, the original tie fighters were single seat and had no gimbal mounted weapons.

These could comfortably be upgrades.

They didn't want to destroy the café from orbit because they wanted to capture the droid.

There isn't much chance that both kids are Solos, Disney have said that all the expanded universe stuff isn't canon and I think she is more likely to be Luke's kid.

Eh, I enjoyed it.

There isn't much chance that both kids are Solos, Disney have said that all the expanded universe stuff isn't canon and I think she is more likely to be Luke's kid.

Eh, I enjoyed it.

I can tell that the identity of her parents is gonna be some lame *albatross* twist.

The more I think about my estimation has gone from a "good" film to just an "ok" one. 

First third is really strong - I wish it had kept up that pace. Han Solo and Chewie's appearance must be one of the most contrived things ever. The final third was a complete car crash to be honest (with the exception of Kylo Ren's scenes as he is a good character and well acted) Captain Phasma seemed like a really cool character but she was killed off by editing;

"Hello anonymous Stromtroper FN9684584 I am CAPTAIN PHASMA" lol

Also the bit where they get her to put in the shutdown code;

"Do it!"
"no"
"Do it!!" *waves blaster*
"ok"

Then she is presumably flushed in to the garbage shoot - who knows. The entire planet explodes yet she will return (her screentime might actually make it into the double figures). They could of stuffed her in an escape pod following some CQB blaster sharp shooting and rocketed her off with a nice corny "noooooo!" as she reaches escape velocity but nah its JJ abrahms so *fruitcage* that.

Luckily the bloke directing number 2 is a cool director so I'm hoping for something better -I'm hoping for a space chase. 

edit again:

That "five hours till launch" thing. Maybe it was a reference to Flash Gordon's "five minutes to save earth!" or whatever but even then - if a countdown is TWICE AS LONG AS THE ENTIRETY of the film it looses all impact and excitement. Do it in real time or not at all says Mr Director Me.

Sorry for my previous post, 2 days in bed with medicines sometimes get you down...

I was trying to say that:

1º I can not understand for example how a lone little girls is able to survive in a desert planet that seems like the worst pirate cave ever seen, and even more, get the "legal owner" of an android release it without any fight.

2º I wasn´t able to understand how a little girl without previous training and the like is able to surpass a trained Darth Vader grandson, ok, he is not 100% as he was able to build his lightsaber tilting and flossing instead of having the proper power source and crystals and be a "jedi lightsaber" but, come on, give the dark side a chance.

3º I will never understand how a "sewerage maintenance trooper (he said to be so in the film) with a "healthy face" like Fin could not be played by for example Jamie foxx, or Morris Chestnut, they Do have (in mu opinion) a face for a "rough soldier" but maybe not the face to sell postcards to teenagers?? so maybe Shad Moss? . leaving apart the fact that for a sewerage maintenance getting upgraded to death monger is a huge career improvement, I would have a talk with the HHRR people about their checkings, I need people like the ones in "saving private Ryan" and the like, not sissies that when seeing blood get crushed so fast.

4º I really lied the "you are just another ant in this huge and well directed ant pit" feeling that the mandatory use of the helmet implies, it is a way to take away individuality, as well as the use of code names and so may explain why Phasma captain has been such  bluf, appearing so few minutes made me feel like she was just a toy selling joke.

5º the moment with the hologram briefing with the big bad evil boss made me think for a moment in the characters from "prometheus", like oversized humans?? just to discover seconds later it was just the hologram being so huge so we can see the scares and deformity wounds in his face that mark any evil mind.

And so and so and so, liked it but could have been a great movie 

Archived