Movie Spoiler Thread.

Habakure

Are you really saying girls can't survive in the desert? Also, Luke never once learnt any saber skills in The Empire Strikes Back, yet it is generally seen as the best star wars movie (and mine), but we accept that he can use a light saber effectively. Never in any of the star wars movies, barr one small fleeting moment on the millennium falcon, do we see Luke trained in the arts of sword play/light saber play. Yet he can, just like he uses the force to guide his hands to fire the photo torpedoes at just the right time (to destroy the first death star).

The point of star wars is to believe in yourself and you can achieve anything. Modern day fairy tale, with lasers.

Edit: Finn watches a friend of his die, that would have a negative affect on anyone. Hence why he takes his helmet off to emphasise his blight (he is more than just a blank killing tool).

Plus calling him fat is a bit off, I think.

In the Ren/Finn fight you can see that she is on the defensive and scrappy until she surrenders to the force and allows the light side in.

Then she pwns.

Ren is a beginner too remember, old big-head says at the end that it is time for his training, implying that he has had none, or limited amount.

Killing he-who-will-not-be-named is a step on his journey to the dark side.

It could be argued that he is not even a dark jedi until he accomplishes that.

Edit: Finn watches a friend of his die, that would have a negative affect on anyone. Hence why he takes his helmet off to emphasise his blight (he is more than just a blank killing tool).

Yeah but he's not just "anyone" - he is a trained "Stormtrooper", from BIRTH. No personal identity - he is "named" by Po Dameron.

He was stationed on the STAR KILLER BASE - a mass murder machine yet watching the murder of a some villagers sparks a seemingly split second decision to go abandon his post? 

Again his motivations are plausible but with the complete absence of any exposition we just have to take it as it comes. Militaries are run like cults anyway so to leave one you've been essentially born into would be a massive undertaking. No need to get super deep about it (I could watch a documentary about North Korea for that!) but it would have been interesting to watch - the struggle between leaving the "dark" and collectivism in favour of "light" and individualism positioned against Kylo Ren. But nah.

Plus calling him fat is a bit off, I think.

In the Ren/Finn fight you can see that she is on the defensive and scrappy until she surrenders to the force and allows the light side in.

Then she pwns.

Ren is a beginner too remember, old big-head says at the end that it is time for his training, implying that he has had none, or limited amount.

Killing he-who-will-not-be-named is a step on his journey to the dark side.

It could be argued that he is not even a dark jedi until he accomplishes that.

I think we can name Han Solo as 1) This is a spoilers thread 2) There is literally no excuse to have not seen Star Wars already and still care about spoilers! 

There was an interesting dialouge between Ren and Snork which was *gasp* cut from the film whereby Snork references Vader's final act of good and says it was a lapse in judgement and that he should have killed his son Luke, which I think would have added some good context (again this film sorely lacks it) to Solo's murder.

I saw Hab's mention of the bit where the X-wings swoop in. I mean that's cool and all but a good film it does not make. So much was lost for "fan service" which has made like Doctor Who and Sherlock unwatchable. 

I think that comparing Star Wars and Mad Max is adequate - they are both blockbusters, they both riff of westerns and hero myths and they are both reboots. 

I came away from Mad Max thinking "oh x y z was so cool!" (for example the cars covered in spikes) whereas with Star Wars I just didn't have that.

It's a real shame because the orginal stuff they did it was really good - the scavenger on his armoured steed, Rey's speeder, the background aliens and droids. They were so cool!  But I think stuff like that was sacrificed for familiarity. Millennium Falcon is cool don't get me wrong but I wish there had of been a NEW spaceship that would be the must have Christmas thing or whatever. 

Originally there were going o be loads of ships (like loads of different ' ' wings), but oddly enough the decision was made to keep it to as small amount of ships as possible. X Wings good guys, tie fighters bad guys. Hell, there are aircraft still used today that came out in the 1970's, so it's very plausible that tie's and x's would still be about.

One thing I really don't like is the fact it's a 12a. It should be a pg or even better a u. What I mean is that they should have aimed for a pg/u rating but everyone seems to think 12a equals guaranteed blockbuster cash.

Here's something to consider. Everyone keeps saying it isn't as good as the first. Bloody hell, of course it won't be. There is no way on earth you could get that again, not even movies that have come out over the last twenty years have come close to the first star wars movie (bums on seats not the money it made). But then these people talk about characters they like but moan they weren't in it long enough. They forget, that one of the most loved star wars characters, only had about 10 minutes screen time, in the empire strikes back.

My favourite movie of 20115 isn't the new star wars though, it's a horror called 'It Follows'. Again, another movie that divides opinion but people are always able to mention favourite bits in it. When I don't like a movie, there is nothing in it that I like. The Happening is such a movie. Same goes for any Twilight movie, they just *suitcase* all over The Lost Boys ethos. Love The Lost Boys.

*fruitcage*, gone off on a tangent again. Damn you boiler, you have made me bitter!!!!!

Question for those that have seen The Martian.

The second MAV intended for the next mission.  It was going to stand there for X years but surely it would be at risk of tipping over in a storm like their MAV?  Seemed pretty precarious to me.

Oh.  I *fruitcage* loved it Follows.  I think it helped I avoided pretty much everything going into it except for pretty much seeing the poster so I had no idea what was going to go down.  The first scene.  Brilliant.

Oh right.  That's less silly then.

Ha ha.  Yeah.  It looked pretty cheap heh.

I did have a few more questions but this reddit topic is pretty informative.

https://www.reddit.com/r/themartian/comments/3oa7fy/the_martian_movie_plotholes_or_questions/

• 4 weeks later...

Archived