CYMA SVD-S Review

I made this a while ago, for the other forum. Will be picking up another as I shouldn't have sold it, so thought I'd share this again, and I'll do an update on any differences I find. The first one was very new at the time.

So after having a couple of Russian guns, I felt like picking up a Dragunov. It filled 2 slots with one, bad guy gun, and sniper rifle. I'm not a huge fan of bolt action guns, or the amount of money required to get them to a standard I would enjoy, so an AEG seemed like a better choice.

C8EE3H3.jpg

Build Quality

Taking this out of the box it's heavier than I expected. It's not so heavy that you'll struggle with it, but the actual rifle is quite slim, you'd be forgiven for thinking it weighs the same as any of their other AK variants.

cfFitun.jpg

R7A6eTb.jpg

r2c3oaK.jpg

The receiver is very sturdy, as is the stock. Usually on folding stocks from lower end manufacturers you expect a bit of wobble, or the action to be a bit rough. But not with this. The arm moves stiffly, but smoothly, and clunks into both the extended and folded positions very positively. The added bonus of the adjustable cheek rest is nice, and feels very good as well. I would like to change it for as off leather padded one if such a thing exists, but it's hardly uncomfortable to use bog standard. It has 2 positions, one is perfect for me, tilted to one side. The other, upright, I'm not sure why it exists as I can't see it being comfortable for anyone or allowing a good sight picture through the scope.

joMOzng.jpg

eSKpzhf.jpg

WXxsbZp.jpg

OJJ7ub8.jpg

The handguards and pistol grip don't feel cheap, but are hardly deluxe either. You wouldn't expect super fancy materials on the real thing, so it's quite nice.

S90wtPL.jpg

JEu5BgX.jpg

RZj8iNQ.jpg

The flash hider on the end of the barrel wasn't on quite straight when I had a look. Unfortunately the grub screw holding it on is a little soft, so when trying to tighten it up again it tried to round out. It's not a 14mm thread, it's a half round half flat end to the barrel, that the flash hider slips over. I managed to fix mine by putting a rubber I ring on the end of the outer barrel, and then screwing the grub screw back in. The o ring keeps it right and prevents it from twisting or falling off.

Parts materials. Tested with Magnet, so not definitive but as far as Airsoft manufacturing goes is fairly reliable.

Top cover - steel

Magazines - steel

Magazine well - pot metal

Receiver - pot metal

Pistol grip - pot metal

Selector - steel

Outer barrel - pot metal

Charging handle - pot metal

Charging handle guide rod - steel

Takedown lever - steel

Stock arms - steel

Gas tube - steel

Magazines are well built. They weigh a darn sight more than M4 mags which feels nice, feels like you've got a heavy ammo to stick in your rifle! They lock Into the rifle nice and securely, with barely any wobble.

The scope rail on the side is correctly positioned, and the correct size. In the pictures it's fitted with the Real Sword PSO-1, which is identical to the real thing. It only needed a tiny amount of adjustment on the clamp to fit smoothly and securely.

The internals look a big step up. Usually, CYMA make gearboxes with a silver coloured pot metal, and a brass cylinder, like most other manufacturers. On this the gearbox is a very nice black colour, with not a single blemish or seam line on the shell. And the cylinder is a darker silver colour as well. Clearly a step up from the usual materials.

Kl7drrL.jpg

we4HPDJ.jpg

2S8K9f9.jpg

fG53He9.jpg

6FmrFIo.jpg

They have copied the real sword internal design quite closely. The propietary gearbox, hop unit, barrel assembly and everything. It's a very large step up from the usual. I don't know if the unlock switch that Real Sword released later will fit, but that's not a huge worry. If you're that worried about gearbox longevity, completely assembled Real Sword gearboxes are in stock, as are replacement internals.

What Stands Out

First off the stock. It looks like a dragunov that people recognise, but then they see the folding stock and it throws them. I personally love having a rifle that no one can properly identify. It is such a breath of fresh air from yet another M4. God help anyone who compliments the AK47 I have in my hands though!

Areas For Improvement

Markings, there are none. Even if they weren't 100% accurate, it would be better than none. Engravers can be found rather cheap though, so in time I may send her off for some to be put on.

The Flash hider wasn't straight, and whilst not a big problem in itself, the design of this part was the problem. It would be far better if it was a CCW thread after the iron sight. It would allow for a PBS-1 to be attached as well which would look brilliant in my opinion.

Skirmishing

Had an entire day in woodland with it this weekend, running totally standard apart from deans connectors.

The morning was spent making a fair few bum shots. It was only really the afternoon that I found just the right spot for the hop up. Usually I like my rounds to flick up slightly at the end, to carry them those extra couple of metres, with this the hop is very sensitive and rather unforgiving, so this caused me a few problems in the morning.

Once set, (1 click off!) it was running rather nicely. I used madbull .36's at first, but after a while went back down to .3s and wouldn't recommend heavier than this. All afternoon was spent running around to the back of a position, and thwacking people looking the wrong way. It's not dead on each shot, I wouldn't expect it to be, as it's a standard AEG barrel, nub, and rubber. But it's good enough to play with certainly. The hop also needed a bit of wearing in I reckon, even after the hop was set it was stills a few mags before I got to the stage where I could look, raise, fire, and hit with a single shot. But we got there in the end.

Mags are a bit of a fiddle. They are very wide, wider than ak mags, so they won't fit in Ak mag pouches unless you have very large ones. I'm going to probably shell out for some real SVD dedicated pouches, but they're old school and don't stack like other pouches so will take up a lot of space on my belt. Still, at 82rds per mag, and the hi cap coming with the gun being 120, I didn't run out of ammo all day.

Overall, really pleased with this. It's different, it's decently built, it performs to an acceptable standard, and it'll set you back a fraction of the money some alternatives would.

3c2c77b5f90c01b97b8391ba4c2fb2f9.jpg

• Like 1

I had one of these, had to sell it when I moved out of HK.

Stock barrel is a 590mm long 6.04mm wide brass barrel. Gave it a good scrub and paired it with a flat hop mod, which worked wonders. Using 0.28g bbs and a PK-A I was hitting head sized targets 9/10 at 50m, no joke.

Gearbox is a 4 gear, high ratio, extended gearbox. The piston and piston head are propietary, the first inch of internal space in the piston is taken up with a locking block for the piston head, meaning you have to cut AEG springs down to get the correct power output, they will be very high otherwise and may not allow you to cycle the gearbox (M100 dropped in gave 135mps!). Mine came with a grey neodymium torque motor with a black endbell. Bearing spring guide.

I ended up putting a cut down M100 spring into it, which gave me 1.5J on the dot. Fitted a 3034 Mosfet and deans connectors plus a sorbo pad on the cylinder head.

It was a lovely, lovely piece of kit and I was very sad to have to get rid of it. It was very accurate once I'd replaced the hop-up rubber and cleaned the inner barrel. The range with the flat hop I installed was obscene. It was quite pointable and you could even make a decent go of running and gunning with it. Midcaps held a good amount of rounds and fed perfectly with any bbs I cared to put in there.

My one annoyance was with the pistol grip, which is not so kind to larger hands.

More details in this old archived thread: http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/209374-cyma-svds-aeg/

Edited by DarkLite

Thanks for the extra info Darklite, just one last question for both of you who have skirmished the thing. I have a RS SVD and it weights a ton! how is this cyma SVD-S compared to it, weight wise? for more comparisons, I have skirmished an A&K SR25 14.5" barrel and while heavy to my liking, it was bearable.

So, do you think that for the average guy, is this a rifle for a DMR who moves around the field or a more "fixed position" style of play?

Thanks for the extra info Darklite, just one last question for both of you who have skirmished the thing. I have a RS SVD and it weights a ton! how is this cyma SVD-S compared to it, weight wise? for more comparisons, I have skirmished an A&K SR25 14.5" barrel and while heavy to my liking, it was bearable.

So, do you think that for the average guy, is this a rifle for a DMR who moves around the field or a more "fixed position" style of play?

Upgrade ur upper body strength m8

• Like 1