Review: ASG Dan Wesson 715 revolver

Here's my review of the ASG Dan Wesson 715 revolver.

tumblr_o06c4eOMt01ur6nigo6_1280.jpg

I have always been a fan of this revolver from DW sins I saw a friend of my grandfather shoot one ages ago. There was just something about it I liked so when I saw this online I just had to have it, I hesitated because I don't like the trademarks ASG put on their guns so I thought about waiting to see if any asian shops would have it without trades but a christmas sale came in the shop so I picked one up.

From what I saw here in Norway, there are a few versions of these in different colors and caliber. You got the steel grey and silver in 4,5mm. steel grey in 6mm and silver in 6mm but the silver are "low power version" 

Buying:

I bought it from a Norwegian airsoft shop with express shipping.

It cost on sale about 1300 NOK, that's about 149$ without shipping. And this was on sale! But with almost no competition as one of very few and the most popular airsoft shop in Norway, they can charge almost what they want. Norwegians are afraid of ordering from around the world so not much competition there either  :P

The box:

It's packed in styrofoam, just your typical ASG gun really, nothing special.

tumblr_o06c4eOMt01ur6nigo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_o06c4eOMt01ur6nigo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o06c4eOMt01ur6nigo2_1280.jpg

First impression:

The first I thought was that its really heavy, 1225g the box says and I believe that. It is also a "fingerprint magnet" .

The Hogue like grips with DW logo are fantastic to, hold and really thin being a revolver. A 1911 are thicker and longer, I think the finger grooves helps it feel thinner than it is, the finger grooves also makes it really comfortable to hold, fits perfect in the hand.

tumblr_o06c5wH7dP1ur6nigo4_1280.jpg

It runs on Co2 so as every airsoft revolver like this, the gas cartridge are stored in the grip. When removing the grip plate, they included a fold-in hex to tighten the gas cartridge and it works really well. 

tumblr_o06c5wH7dP1ur6nigo8_1280.jpg

tumblr_o06c6lqAVo1ur6nigo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o06c6lqAVo1ur6nigo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_o06c6lqAVo1ur6nigo3_1280.jpg

It have a small and discreet safety behind/under the hammer.

tumblr_o06c6lqAVo1ur6nigo4_1280.jpg

It got a unique serial number on the frame.

tumblr_o06c4eOMt01ur6nigo3_1280.jpg

It got two screw holes under the barrel for mounting a rail thingy, some shops say this comes with the gun but I cant say I see room for that in the box.

tumblr_o06c5wH7dP1ur6nigo7_1280.jpg

Dan Wesson's 715 is known for having a easy change barrel system, this doesn't work on the airsoft of course but it looks just like the RS, a nice little touch.

tumblr_o06c5wH7dP1ur6nigo6_1280.jpg

Another nice touch is that the cylinder lock is moved, it's still on the left side but its moved from behind the cylinder to in front of the cylinder, takes some to get used to, I still reach for it in the wrong place.

Also, the cylinder rotates with the clock, not anticlockwise like other revolvers.

tumblr_o06c5wH7dP1ur6nigo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_o06c5wH7dP1ur6nigo2_1280.jpg

Trademarks:

It comes with some trademarks, Dan Wesson on each side of the barrel, .357 Magnum on the right side of the barrel and your typical ASG logo and Cal.6mm BB Made in Taiwan on the right side of the frame

tumblr_o06c4eOMt01ur6nigo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_o06c5wH7dP1ur6nigo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o06c5wH7dP1ur6nigo5_1280.jpg

Shooting the thing:

Well this is a beast, it clocked in at about 450 fps so its really hot, I would go for the low power version if this is to be used in games.

If you already got a DW revolver from ASG, the shells and speedloader is the same and works with this.

So the sales point with this is that it's the first airsoft revolver with hop-up. I have only gotten to shoot it indoors so far but it works really great, there is a small hole for a small hex pn top of the barrel.  (Sorry I forgot to get a picture of this)

The trigger pull in double action is like your typical revolver, the trigger pull in single action is really light and there's no travel for the trigger at all.

tumblr_o06c6lqAVo1ur6nigo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_o06c6lqAVo1ur6nigo6_1280.jpg

I will update here after I used it some more but so far I really like it and have to say it may be one of the nicest revolvers in my collection.

Heavy, loud, powerful and with a fantastic grip.

Not sure where to buy this in other countries yet but I guess it will show up in online stores soon.

Edit: sorry about the blurry pictures, they get so blown up when uploaded..

Edited by Safeword
  • Like 5

Interesting that you have the steel grey version and it shoots 450 fps. Because in the US, its the silver version which shoots hot, and the grey is for cqb, firing 330fps.

That kinda stunk for me since I wanted the silver one, but wanted to use it for indoor games. So I had to get the grey one.

I'll wait for a 4 inch myself. Love revolvers (single and double action-especially Rugers) but I can't see myself packing this around for a whole day unless in a shoulder holster.

When I was working for a Firearms/Sporting Goods store many years ago, the Dan Wesson revolver was touted as one of the best for steel plate competitions. Their only major issue was a double action pull that was just plain horrendous. Nearly everyone we sold was sent out for trigger action jobs (which I heard were not easily done).

However, its solid frame design and cylinder lock-up were built like a tank. The ability to change the barrel length relatively easily (and the fact that the barrel was anchored at both ends) and that you could conform a grip in nearly any shape (there is no grip frame as you would find on a S&W, Colt or Ruger revolver) was also pretty nice. In some sets a blank block of walnut with the needed drilled holes was provided so you could carve your own grip.

If this turns out to be as well made as it should be, I'll probably have to get one.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Mine is holding up nicely, haven't had the time to use it that much lately but so far so good.

One thing that really sucked was, I bought 12 extra shells like the ones on the picture but mine are ASG marked with DW logo on base, and they fit but the cylinder will not rotate and the hammer will not be cocked. It says they fit any of the DW revolvers but apparently not this one. 

gt-70x6.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

They where made before this revolver came out, so at the time they would have fitted any of the Dan Wesson / Ruger Abortions out earlier.  Such a shame they haven’t managed to copy the changing barrel design, would have loved to build a case for gun with 2”, 4” 6” an 8” Barrel.  Hopefully they do other length guns next.  Would be great if they then went on to make proper Rugers.

I'll wait for a 4 inch myself. Love revolvers (single and double action-especially Rugers) but I can't see myself packing this around for a whole day unless in a shoulder holster.

When I was working for a Firearms/Sporting Goods store many years ago, the Dan Wesson revolver was touted as one of the best for steel plate competitions. Their only major issue was a double action pull that was just plain horrendous. Nearly everyone we sold was sent out for trigger action jobs (which I heard were not easily done).

However, its solid frame design and cylinder lock-up were built like a tank. The ability to change the barrel length relatively easily (and the fact that the barrel was anchored at both ends) and that you could conform a grip in nearly any shape (there is no grip frame as you would find on a S&W, Colt or Ruger revolver) was also pretty nice. In some sets a blank block of walnut with the needed drilled holes was provided so you could carve your own grip.

If this turns out to be as well made as it should be, I'll probably have to get one.

The frame on the airsoft one is *suitcase*.

Sounds like a simple case length problem. Can you take a picture of the cylinder from the side with the two different cartridges loaded together?

I can do it on monday, a friend is borrowing this over the weekend cause he might want to make me a trade offer

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry but after a lot of back and forth, me and my friend made a trade, I didn't get to take a picture of the new and old shells in the cylinder but I got a picture of the new shell, the new shells are 40,05mm long so if someone got a DW revolver, they can maybe compare. My thought is that the new shells are thicker at the bottom and poked a little out the back. 

tumblr_o2k4i7ijFO1ur6nigo1_1280.jpg

• 1 month later...

Something I noticed about mine. I have an American low power version. With .25g bbs the fps is stable around 300 to 310 over 18 rounds.

But, the fps changes when you cock the hammer. With the hammer cocked, it falls from a further back position compared to releasing the hammer in double action mode. Now, you may expect it to shoot harder, but in fact I loose 50 fps in single action.

The fps on single action using .25g bbs is from 250 to 260 over the same number of rounds.

I even tried it on a fresh co2, alternating between single and double action from shot to shot and it was the same.

All using standard full bore shells.

The gun hasn't been shot until now. That was the first 60 rounds or so put through it.

I've got a xcortech x3500 chrono

Now, you may expect it to shoot harder, but in fact I loose 50 fps in single action.

The exact same thing happens with a friend's Marushin 6mm Raging Bull. Not 100% sure as to why, but it may be from not having the trigger pulled back enough when the hammer falls. Assuming this also has a transfer bar safety like the older "Dan Wesson" revolvers, the Raging Bull also has a transfer bar safety actuated by the trigger. The bar goes up when the trigger is pulled bridging a gap between the valve and the hammer. When the trigger is pulled in single action, the bar doesn't go as high up as when firing double action so it gets partly deflected away when the hammer hits it. The effect is a shorter valve opening resulting to lower fps.

I'm going to have to buy this after all. For approx $140.00 (and I have a load of speed loaders and shells that will work with this already and maybe it will fit in the shoulder holster still have for the 6 inch S&W L frame I used to own), I cant pass this up.

Really want a 4 inch though.

Someone model a barrel and stick it up on shapeways or something. I don't mind a plastic one. Currently trying to think of a way to improve the hopup. Mine applies hop at an angle. Thinking of doing away with the stock inner barrel. It's still aluminum like the other WG guns, but it's got a nicer polish.

It's held on by 2 pins. I could post the pic I took while messing with it, but I'm too lazy right now.

But, the barrel is hollow. The ribs on top and bottom of the barrel are not solid.

Best way to do it is chop a center section out and either glue, weld, or braze the muzzle and breach ends of the barrel back together.

Edited by Horsem4n

It's held on by 2 pins. I could post the pic I took while messing with it, but I'm too lazy right now.

But, the barrel is hollow. The ribs on top and bottom of the barrel are not solid.

Best way to do it is chop a center section out and either glue, weld, or braze the muzzle and breach ends of the barrel back together.

Please post a pic later if possible.

The only thing I am worried about is chipping the glossy finish. So cutting must be done with care.

I just removed the hideous asg 6mm markings. Now I just need to polish a bit. Also thinking about installing wood grips but that will require some serious modifications.

bfbb23e4d736a6075f621d1a313a5865.jpg

• 9 months later...