review: Specna Arms SA-G01 (M4A1 + M203)

Hello  lads.  :D

With this review i want to share my first impressions, about this Specna SA-G01 replica, and i also will clarify the brand,  Specna Arms.& Gunfire

About SPECNA ARMS & GUNFIRE 

The welknown  "IKEA from Airsoft" GUNFIRE , is the exclusive dealer, for Europe of Specna Arms HK ,

Besides there's a lot more of Specna-items to find on the Gunfire site, than at Specna itself, like BDU's , parts etc ...

Specna itself, is a pretty new "player" on the Airsoft terrain (think somewhere in 2013 ?) And on their homepage,  there not telling much,  in fact.  

There very brief, and like to summarize their strengths, in 4 words theire  4S

1. SATISFYING PRIZE                               :  Think this a justified claim
  2. SUPREME QUALITY                              :  The quality is rated to the prize
  3. SPRING QUICK CHANGE                      :  Indeed, thanks to the E&C and SAEC systems
  4. SPECTACULAR RANGE OF MODELS :   Surely it is ,You cant deny that !!!

.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

About THE SPECTACULAR RANGE OF MODELS

Specna has over than 55 models, myself i am wondering if this is realy necessary ? right now its a bit a  "not see the wood for the trees" ,story   :D

So i am not  surprised when potential, new, orientating , buyers getting confused, about the different models.

I wil try to clarify this range of models once, and for al

The internals of the Specna's are mostly identical, exept for the innerbarrel length and matching cylinder of coarse .

The following Gearbox systems are possible 

1. DV version, a classic non E&C version gearbox,  (Gunfire has still a few models left , but at Specna they are discontinued)
  2. Enter & Covert aka E&C with this system you can change the spring without opening the entire gearbox ( the most common Specna system)
  3. The SAEC system , the newest Specna system, here you can change the spring , only by removing the stocktube 

l3HIfoF.png

Above you see the different series as shown on the Specna Arms site itself, the differences are found in the external design only.

I must say, the difference between BASIC and ADVANCED are hard to distinguish sometimes.

1. ADVANCED                     : The more Advanced models
  2. ADVANCED SAEC          : Same as above but with the SAEC system
  3. BASIC                               : More simple Basic models
  4. BASIC SAEC                   : Same as above but with the SAEC system
  5. GRENADE LAUNCHER : 3 different models with an M203 grenade launcher
  6. V-SERIES                        : The models are made with a VLTOR style receiver

HT : stands for Half Tan, here the stock, pistol grip, hand guard, and mag are TAN colored.

Exclusive Custom Series: are shown on the supplied poster , the models are finished with a custom water transfer paint job in either: Kryptek Mandrake, A-TACS FG, or Multicam Black

3ULGIxF.jpg

UX9WqMn.png?1

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

About Enter & Convert and SAEC

Meanwhile, maybe, already wel known by most of us, but for potential newbies i wil explain it once again

1. Enter & convert aka E&C : here you can change the spring only by unscrewing the spring guard, you don't  need to disassemble the entire gearbox
  2. SAEC with this system you can change the spring , by removing the stock tube only,  (also check this video from Gunfire)

GzEikeM.png

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

About the SUPREME QUALITY & SATISFYING PRICE

The Specna's are all full metal made, Airsoft metal (zinc alloy aka pot metal) admittedly, but this count for most of the Airsoft brands  :D  

And with the most other brands you need to pay a lot more "bucks" for a full metal replica

these Specna replica are also finished in a durable, decent coating  

Standard the Specna's are supplied with a 9.6V NiMH accu , while with most other brands this is 8.4V  or no battery at all   

Al the Specna's are standard equiped with the E&C or SAEC system 

In my opinion Specna Arms are worth, claiming this Phrase  :D

So, i think i spoke enough about Specna Arms & Gunfire, lets see the replica itself now  :D

About the SA-G01 (M4A1 + M203 grenade launcher)

The unboxing

Traditional now you see a long, boring video, of a guy , jabbering whats in his box , for showing in the last 5 second he shows the replica .

Now i want to show whats in the box to, but i am gonna try to do it a bit less boring with this thinglink image, enjoy it !!

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE INTERACTIVE THINGLINK IMAGE !

zX5I7In.jpg

.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

About the EXTERNALS

Like mentioned before, everything whats supposed to be made out of metal,  is metal made, stock pistol grip, hand guard, are made in plastic.

for not to pass over anything i wil make  a "guided tour" of it, we start the "tour" with :

• Flash hider this a nice Colt "Birdcage" A2 Flash hider, complete with an aluminium spacer (tip make this black for more realism)
  • Outer barrel is nicely finished in a kind of coarse powdercoating, nice detail is the difference in colors they use, but is must say the barrel profile under the handguard isn't entirely realistic, i also mis the coarse lathing grooves, and the Blueish finish, so this outerbarrel  wil definitely be replaced by this one  Further is the outer barrel fixed to the upper receiver with a metal Delta ring & barrel nut.
  • A2 front sight base is very nice made with an adjustable front sight.

5Y7SLuA.jpg

Bsxw1XH.jpg

c93SfyP.jpg

JpCY0xQ.jpg

• HANDGUARDS Are nice, classic Colt M4A1 style, made out of a flexible plastic , and matte finished, for a good realistic appearance, inside the hanguard, there are some nothes witch fit on the barrel nut, altough his feature there is still some noticeable wobble in the handguard   :unsure: The replica comes with the upper half assembled but the lower half is supplied with the kit, this comes in handy when you want to play without the M203 mounted
  • KAC RIS RAIL from Specna,at Gunfire, i have ordered this along with the replica from the beginning, because i didn't wanted to "run" the Colt M4A1 handguards anyway , anyhow i would the MWS or SOPMOD appearance from the beginning, the toprail enters very tight between de delta ring , so you might assist a little bit with a screwdriver or something else, due to the system with the notches the toprail fits 100% wobble free !!! my lower half in contrary doesn't fitted into the delta ring ! but some shallow File strokes solving this issue within seconds ! Further is this rail very nice finished , complete with white position markings, and an Aluminium "heat" shield in the lower half , for more realism.

mQgoPoe.jpg

i0vx1il.jpg

z08HMqW.jpg

RUSkUNV.jpg

RECEIVER is very nice finished in a beautiful black powder coating, and marked with the characteristic white USMC - Specna markings , has nice they are , so unrealistic they are , and i will certainly search a solution for this , maybe with an hiding paintjob, maybe i wil try to engrave the Colt markings myself.

• FIRE SELECTOR turns smooth and with noticeable clicks   
  • MAGAZINE CATCH works perfect
  • FORWARD BOLT ASSIST is moving , non functional an nice gizmo
  • DUST COVER on the right side , with "protects" the BOLT ornament plate
  • CHARGING HANDLE when pulling back the "Bolt" opens and makes the hop adjustment accessible, the bolt plate hooks up behind the
  • BOLT CATCH when the bolt catch is pushed in , the "BOLT" moves forward, a funny realistic detail !!
  • PISTOL GRIP in Colt A2 style,  perfect finish
  • CARRYING HANDLE  with rear sight, witch is fully functional  (see the video)

YVUwvaT.jpg

tcL5SWX.jpg

tcL5SWX.jpg

1UMwC37.jpg

8dRY3kr.jpg

• RECEIVER EXTENSION aka STOCK TUBE  behind the receiver, also very nice finished, and on top marked with white, stock position marks.
  • LOCK NUT of the stock tube is perfect made, leaves some threads of the tube visible, and is grey finished  for a  realistic appearance 
  • CQD REAR SLING PLATE  closes the rear end of the receiver, a nice detail after all, since this is not standard Colt M4 issued, (but is very often seen with SOF use) and mostly is an option with replica models , i can't  tell he is perfect because there is an hole witch doest belong compare here 
  • CRANE STOCK standard issued with this SA-G01  i must say normally on this further classic M4A1 replica there should belong a Colt stock , but since this one doesn't has the stowage compartments in the cheek welds , witch are required for the nun-chuck type accu , the choice of the crane stock is obvious .

I36tbza.jpg

The M203 GRENADE LAUNCHER  Last but definitely not least

About the RS M203 versions

• there is a short and a long barrel version
  • there is a barrel mounte and a rail mounted version
  • Older versions have a bolted front barrel mount
  • the newer SOPMOD models have a KAC quick Release front barrel mount

This M203 replica of Specna Arms, is a short, barrel mounted version, with a KAC QR front barrel mount, the Specna M203 is not separate available, only in this kit !

He is full metal, only the barrelgrip is plastic same as the RS version, this M203 has NO white markings, and feels pretty solid !

Interesting detail : with this replica the rear barrel mount is detachable, to change it for a rear rail mount  (for hanging your M203 under a 12" DD rail)

Remains the question where can you find that mount ? because it appears Specna Arms doesnt have them ?  think i need to go Gunsmittin if nessecary :D

WATCH THE VIDEO OF THE  M203 OVERHERE

HERE THE COMPLETE SA-G01 ALBUM 1

HERE THE COMPLETE SA-G01 ALBUM 2

agLIsvg.jpg

xzovJMX.jpg

Wzd0iyj.jpg

BHP6qNx.jpg

....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

THE CATWALK

Since i have a pretty nice collection of accessories , i decided to try out some different configurations, this to demonstrate the versatility of such a basic M4 model

NOTE: i purchased the KAC RIS and LMT separately at Gunfire 

This "catwalk" also to inspire the  guys who are not so obsessed with studying military loadouts  :D

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE INTERACTIVE THINGLINK IMAGE

td8ovkj.jpg

qCZAJqP.jpg

HdNcchA.jpg

THE INTERNALS

And finally lets see whats under the hood  :D

Starting at the back of the replica , when opening the CRANE stock we have a  Small Tamiya connector, where we can connect the supplied 9.6V NiMH battery.

PkN7VxY.jpg

When we remove the aluminium stocktube, the receiver end plate comes apart (CQD style in this case) It appears that with the older models there was a fuse between the cable, in this model obvious not !

zP53pwM.jpg

De receiver is locked with the two steel receiver pins witch on his way are locked with screws.  

xakk5tl.jpg

In the upper receiver, we have a stock brass 350mm innerbarel, with a classic hop up unit

MEfEVxv.jpg

aCTatfh.jpg

In the pistol grip the motor (of coarse) the motor has no markings, and the motor base plate metal made

SZN0rVJ.jpg

After disassembling lockpin, mag catch, and bolt catch, the V2 gearbox can be taken out of the receiver

qztMP0b.jpg

To disassemble the gearbox , we start by removing the E&C springuide.

SUCQilR.jpg pByW1Ax.jpg

The gearbox now is ready to be opened, by removing the torx 8 screws

The piston & cylinder assembly

• A brass type 2 cylinder
  • A basic plastic 1 piece-piston with one steel tooth 
  • A basic plastic cilinder head   
  • A basic plastic nozzle head without O-ring
  • The gearbox shell is a reinforced model, wich should withstand an M130 spring maximum
  • De steel gears are turning in 8 mm ball bearings

JkPlXPl.jpg

In the gearbox shell we have the steel gears, wich are not shimmed

The gearbox is slightly greased, but sufficient enough !

VL4TFBo.jpg

SEE HERE THE COMPLETE ALBUM OF THE INTERNALS  FOR MORE DETAILS 

PRO'S AND CON'S 

+ Excellent  price/quality ratio                                                               - The internals are basic, for the more demanding player upgrading is recuired

+ 9.6V NiMH accu included                                                                   - The white markings are unrealistic, and might be an issue for reenactor players   

+ Full metal,  replica with high end finish                                              -  Some minor details are not as the RS version

+ Excellent fit of the various parts   

+ E&C gearbox  

+ Working bolt catch simulation

+ For Europe an excellent support from exclusive dealer Gunfire  :D  

...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Edited by aac
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

great job

Fantastic, in-depth, detailed review and EXCELLENT photographs.  WELL DONE SIR!

Great review wow. I don't really play M4, but i had one specna before and i like their price tag and functions. Great basic starter imo! 

I thank you al for your positive reactions, the Specna is indeed a great replica, i can recommend it to everyone 

Edited by aac
  • 10 months later...