Kit List for Milsim

Cannonfodder80

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drink at least 500ml-1L just doing a mildly intense 45 minute gym sesh in this country.  Given that there's still stuff going on in afghan, I can only imagine the idea of just having a small water bottle would be if you're dumping your other kit fairly close to where you're about to fight and will be back to said kit fairly soon.  Don't quite understand the concept within the world we're currently in.  You're either at a base of some kind in which case you presumably won't sling on your big ol' pack and just have the stuff on your best/vest; or you're patrolling out somewhere and carrying the kitchen proverbials.

I think milsim games would tend to be somewhere sort of in the middle, and to be honest, more like the 'old' system as it were; that's what I go with at least.  If I've got a base to set up your sleeping area and I'll be out for maybe 6 hours or less, apart from munitions and other required stuff like med kit/map/pad/pen/torch, I'd have a couple of litres in a bladder, couple small snacks, rain jacket, a light insulating layer for scaling and maybe some small bits like a gaiter or different headwear/gloves.  Makes sense to be able to adjust for laying up outdoors when it rains vs when the sun then comes out and it's pew pew time.  That the way I look at it anyway; I was caught on the range week before last with just my UBACS under my Osprey when it pelted rain which morphed in to hailstones and we couldn't step off the point, got rather chilly.  When it's just airsoft and you can stop for a second I always prefer to have a pack on with a couple of layering options.

From memory, the old doctrine of carrying everything comes from bush fighting days where:

- One doesn't know how long you maybe away for out in the bush, and resup may not be possible

- If you drop your pack you may lose it in dense bush

- There is a possibility you may be cut off

During basic training I was taught that everything in your persons, webbing and armour should be enough to survive, so basically anything that would keep you fighting and alive, while things in your backpacks are for comfortable "living".

On the first line rig, we were taught:

- 2L Water

- Emergency hi-energy food

- Cups canteen...

- Mags with ammo

- Lighter

- Knife

- Folding saw

- Weapon cleaning kit

- KFS

- Cam paint

- Bandages

- Tourniquet

- Pen/paper

Thats really not that much more than airsoft loads, 6 GBB mags at 500g each + 2L water + webbing and comms gear will weigh 7-8kg, which is around the same as a combat chest rig with 6 mags 556, 2L water and comms gear. 

Of course with integrated armor, things change as a plate carrier rig is around 6kg without the water and mags and a full RBAV without side plates is 10kg, without the other stuff...

Don't quite understand the concept within the world we're currently in.

...more like the 'old' system as it were; that's what I go with at least....

Yup, let the G4 chain work their little quad both ways - bring the ammo forward, recover casualties.

The idea is we're resorting to mega old days of just ammo and a rifle on your person (BA is shown to lower casualty rates by almost 60% so kind of useful)

No camelbak? I would have thought that even in temperate climates someone in armour is going to more than a 58 pattern waterbottle?

Jim

Scalable - so if it's Harry Von Redpigs it's time to get Ol' Hosey out.

Archived