Any raw/dry denim fans on Arnies?

hitmanNo2

Here's the raw denim I bought in December; both pairs are identical except for the size: 

IMG_20160116_094620.jpg

The pair on the left has been worn about ten times, and never washed or soaked.  It's sized two inches smaller (barely able to button them in the store), and has only barely stretched enough to wear comfortably.  

The pair on the right has been worn about seven times overall.  They fit great in the shop but became too loose after a couple days wear, so I did a hot water soak in the tub and line dried them.  The color and texture changed drastically, and some slight streaks appeared in the indigo.

No, for several reasons.  Buying them a little too small is the conventional wisdom, since raw denim may shrink (especially if it's not sanfordized), but stretches (mostly in the waist) with wear even more.  Plus, as mentioned earlier, washing it messes up the fading patterns and overall look.  My "washed" pair fits fine now, but I simply don't like them anymore.  

Frankly it's a huge pain finding a great fit unless you do a bunch of research first (find out specific stretch/shrink anecdotes for a brand/fabric), get very lucky, or (like me) waste money until you do.  I've owned at least a dozen pairs of raw jeans and out of those maybe five were good to go long term.  This is a pretty good FAQ:  https://www.reddit.com/r/rawdenim/wiki/faq

Ah yes.  I did not think of the natural stretching.

Yeah, the unpredictable nature is an aspect putting me off I have to say. Spending 6 months in a pair and then finding out they're no good will not be fun.  Still, I could try and shift them on ebay.  Genuine worn in heh

Archived