Scope recommendations?

Ells01

Hey all, just wondering if someone could make a recommendation on a scope. I've had a look around but everything seems to be a few years old, or maybe my googling skills are getting worse! I would probably be looking at getting a 3-9x40 (or there abouts, based on research B) ), with a budget of about £50, ideally with a mildot reticle that can go red/green, though that's not too important! If it matters it's for a spring gun, so no need to withstand recoil.

Spring guns are ones that do need to withstand recoil LOL.

There is a reason why a spring gun have much more substantial impulse than the normal cycling of firearms.  Firearm impulses are generated from the acceleration of the bullet's inertia as it leaves the barrel, and is somewhat lower than a piston and heavy spring.

An airgun scope has a spring at the front which buffers the impulse shock vs a normal rifle scope which has none.

I would never put my BSA scope I have on my M1A on an air rifle, as it would pretty much ruin it.

http://www.lasc.us/rangingshotrifleairgunscopes.htm

Thanks for the reply, that's actually really interesting info, especially to someone like me who doesn't have the foggiest about RS, I can imagine it saving me from an expensive mistake in the future! I did however mean to say a spring gun, running hpa (a mancraft system) - sleeping on the keyboard again!. But given the info on the page about being able to zero under 50m with an air rifle scope it would make more sense to go for one of these anyway right? 

Thanks for the reply, that's actually really interesting info, especially to someone like me who doesn't have the foggiest about RS, I can imagine it saving me from an expensive mistake in the future! I did however mean to say a spring gun, running hpa (a mancraft system) - sleeping on the keyboard again!. But given the info on the page about being able to zero under 50m with an air rifle scope it would make more sense to go for one of these anyway right? 

Yes definitely an airgun scope is better for your purpose. Rifle scopes are usually not Parallax adjustable (PA) as they are intended to shoot far out beyond 100m, hence is a wasted function.  PA scopes are more characteristic of airgun scopes as they are used to shooting close up where parallax plays a greater part.

The issue with zeroing with PA scopes is that if you zero at 25m it does not mean you will be horizontally zeroed at 50 or 100m (vertical will be affected by offset and bullet drop anyways), but that is because parallax works differently at different ranges depending on eye/head position and your eye.  So zero at the distance you want to shoot at and adjust accordingly for closer and further. 

Just so you know, I am not a "minute of flea at 10m" shooter (I really don't understand Olympic shooting), I am the "Steel plate at 500m" type of guy.

Archived