I'm not an impressionist, but...

Alias1983

I use m81 woodland clothing exclusively. I like to take ques from but I'm no fan of SF stuff as its too specific.

I run gas so I like to run 6-10 mags for much realism.

I have been thinking a lbt 6094b or something from eagle.

I have been eyeballing a Mayflower apc for cost to options ratio in ranger green.

I'm not apposed to coyote or khaki but I like my lbe to be universal and the USMC use "browns" to good effect with "green" marpat.

I hate war belts, tbh I'd rather not run one.

I'm a ccw, and want a rig that can be universal for shtf and long term engagements.

That means line 2 is loaded to the max, we run mini MILSIM so I need my mags to last me 6 hours.

I only shoot at sure shots and run 4 g17 mags at 19 bbs("+2" baseplates)

You've got plenty of quality options.

Mayflower APC

Crye JPC

Crye AVS

Eagle EPC

LBT 6094

MissionSpec EOC

Ferro Concepts FCPC

Velocity Systems SCARAB Light

TAG Banshee

PIG PC

Ronin Assaulter Lite

FirstSpear Strandhogg

The list goes on and on.

Beyond knowing how many magazines you need to carry, you should also be thinking about what sort of features you need in a PC.

For example, how much does overall weight matter to you? Do you need to be able to quickly swap front panels? Do you need a zip-on back panel? Do you need a kangaroo pouch? How about a built-in admin pouch? Do you need to integrate a chest-rig or placard onto the front panel? Do you want the carrier to be scale-able?

The Eagle Industries EPC, for example, is a great plate carrier design, but it's a bit dated. The Crye AVS, on the other hand, has all sorts of modern whiz-bang HSLD features. The Crye JPC is ultralight, but probably not as good at load carrying as a heavier PC like the 6094.

In addition, all of those PCs have replicas available and can be had on the cheap through Flyye, Pantac or some other Asian gear manufacturer.

My advice would be to choose a price range, look at a variety of plate carrier designs, decide on what features you want and what appeals to you aesthetically and then make a decision.

The lighter you go on the PC, the less it'll be suited to carrying a lot of weight.  Also (generally) you'll get more durability with a heavier rig.

The 6094 is very dated, but it's bloody tough there's no doubt about that.  I always champion the FirstSpear rigs (or the STT over at SKD if you want most of the same features for a lot less money) because I bloody love the Tubes, the 6/12 and all the spacer mesh/padding.  The Mayflower is a pretty solid middle ground I's say, same with some of the options from Vel Sys.

What is there to feel?  They work, they've been used and proven in combat and are just as good as standard PALS for the vast majority of applications, along with having some significant benefits.

Some budget companies have copied it which I doubt would work well, but when done right by a quality manufacturer it's excellent.

Out of the vests mentioned so far, I own a 6094, Mayflower APC, AVS and MBAV. Out of those, the APC represents the best value for money to quality ratio. Even ignoring price, the APC is a great vest. I'd say it's made better than my 6094 despite being cheaper. Comfort is on a par with 6094, and both weigh about the same. They are incredibly similar tbh.

AVS is the most comfortable by a long way, although, it is far more expensive. MBAV is probably the most durable (1000d) but is the heaviest by far, and without the extra shoulder pads (which are hard to find and expensive), not particularly comfortable. That said, I've never had any problems with 500d vests or pouches.

Another option that may fit your description, the Paraclete HPC is light and good at carrying a fair amount of kit, can be found cheap second hand. 

+1 on the JPC.

Just mount whatever pouches you would prefer right over the existing kangaroo slot. It's a lightweight carrier with great build quality that doesn't really compromise on comfort. I have also owned the Ferro Concepts FCPC - this is a bit larger than the JPC but only a little, may add a bit more padding between you and your heavy gas mags...

Without a way to close the pouches won't the ones on top just flop around?

Buy pouches with flaps.

I think he means that if you mount pouches to the front of the  integrated shingle then when mags are removed from the shingle, the mounted pouches will flop.

If that is the case... use mags from the top pouches first. 

You're getting a lot of solid advice in this thread, but you've got to indicate exactly what you want out of a plate carrier.

If all you're looking for is something that can carry magazines then any of the above mentioned carriers will work fine. That is, after all, what they're designed to do.

Plate carriers are basically all the same except for certain details like overall weight, construction, internal magazine pouches/kangaroo pouch, shoulder pads, etc.

You need to be a lot more explicit about what you want. Right now you're basically saying "I want a plate carrier that can carry magazines," when what you should be saying is "I want a lightweight, minimalist PC that can carry .308 magazines, doesn't have integrated magazine pouches and is less than $250."

You wouldn't go to a dealership and say "I want a car with wheels," right? You'd have some specific criteria you're looking to fill.

The JPC is a solid plate carrier, but it's also designed to run quite light. You've mentioned that you're looking to run 6-10 primary magazines plus 4 secondary magazines. That a lot of weight to pack onto a JPC especially if you're also going to carry a radio, water and other milsim related essentials (food, maps, tools, etc). A 6094, MBAV or APC would probably be better at bearing that sort of load.

I think he means that if you mount pouches to the front of the  integrated shingle then when mags are removed from the shingle, the mounted pouches will flop.

If that is the case... use mags from the top pouches first. 

You can solve that problem two ways:

1.- Take the mags from the outside pouches first.

2.- Place a rigid mag holder in the kangaroo. That way being empty or full doesn't change the shape of the internal storage and doesn't affect the external pouches.

A JPC will hold two 7.62 mags in the internal pouch and you can easily place an external one for three more. Another one could be placed first thing on the cummerbund for a total of six mags. A second one on the cummerbund is doable.

OK, its a kangaroo, I thought it was a flap with pouches sewn in.

OK how do you like the mbitr pouches? I have a baofeng radio and a stupid long bungy cable for the ptt.

I currently stuff it in the phantom pouch and I have to stuff it just right.

849a339cfb206d17cb2ba7ac2a333650.jpg

250$ is what I feel is worth for a solid carrier, I surf eBay a lot

It needs to be lightweight

Needs to be strong enough to hold 6 ar mags or 5-6 ar10 mags

4 dbl stack mags

Baofeng

Hydration

Ifak

Archived