airsoft/bb/pellet pistol for live-fire training

nineninenine

Hello all, 

When I was younger I used to play airsoft, but nowadays I just target shoot. I was wondering whether you all could recommend a airsoft/bb/pellet pistol that would enable me to cheaply practice my shooting techniques at home. 

Any platform would likely be cheaper than shooting .45 acp, so my main concerns are:

- a trigger that feels realistic enough to simulate an actual pistol (preferably with 5+ pounds of pull).

- reasonable accuracy at 7 yards (enough to obtain a cloverleaf sized group).

If these two requirements are unrealistic, please feel free to critique my ignorance and recommend a platform (i.e. a rifle) that would be better suited to my needs.

Thanks!

Yeah a .22 sounds way better, failing that an air pistol. Target shooting doesn't need power limits so you can take the "soft" bit out of airsoft.

I suppose airsoft guns can be used for training but when it break it down it's more about stuff you would do with a gun in your hands rather then the shooting aspect specifically. 

Features of the .22lr

You train with trigger as used with the .45ACP

And then get same sight for the .22 slide.

Good to go.

Same trigger, same sight and nearly the same weight, same feel of the gun and grips

and best of all .22lr are cheap so you get to train a lot ;7)

Out of the box, most marui guns will give you cloverleafs at 7 yards, coke can at 20 yards with hits on steel paddle targets out to 25yards.  With an absence of lubrication the performance will be sustained.  Issue with Marui is that they are plastic and lightweight, with very toy like triggers.  Recoil is ok, more like a blank fire pistol.

If you actually want something accurate + decently weighted and with reasonable trigger pressures you will need some knowhow to tune.  However this does not apply to replicas that are striker fired in real life (Glock, XDM etc), as in airsoft they are all hammer fired and does not replicate the trigger tension etc.

I might be misunderstanding something, but is any GBB gonna have 1" groupings at 20'? Doesn't the combination of temperature and environmental effects make that a really really high bar? I would generally think that the spread might be consistent, but a bit bigger.

20' I can damn near hit the same spot over and over.

Temp just effects cooldowns, fps will be near about the same. Humidity determines how well the hopup rubber performs. The polish on the bbs effects the hop, I personally wash my bbs polish off, I don't think what tiny amount of silicone in the mag gets on the hop rubber actually effects the hop.

Gas you use also changes things. Gg/propane at 70*f is around 120psi.

Mapp pro gas at 70*f is like 200 or more. All I know is when its 30-40*f out I can still empty a mag.

I used to have a list of gas and psi ratings at specific temps but that is long gone.

Archived